26000 mile service completed.

RoadKill

Well i just got my bike back from the shop. All 8 of my Exhaust valves were out of spec and needed adjustments. I told them i would change the oil and clean my filter. But they Also checked the steering stem bearings, replaced plugs changed the coolant and did the other small greasing and checks.

506.00!

I change the oil every 3000 miles and don't ride hard all the time. Although i do take it up to 9-10k RPM a few times a month.

I was very surprised that it cost so much. 5 hours labor was 475 of the bill the rest was parts and tax.

pigdog

that's a little much. i would have changed plugs, coolant & done my own oil change then let dealer adjust valves & grease steering head bearings.

RoadKill

I normally change the plugs but that did not effect the price in this case since they were already there. your right about one thing though I should have changed the coolant myself. i have never done it and didn't really know what to do. although i am sure i could have figured it out.

pigdog

coolant change is easy because there is a drain plug on the left side built into a lower, steel rad. hose. its a hex head bolt & you will have to get on your knees & stick your head on the ground to see it. (trick) don't take the rad cap off until all the coolant in the recovery tank is sucked out by vacuum created as the coolant drains out.

9 Lives

The majority of the labor costs would have been the valve adjustment, they have to remove the cams to change the shims on the valves.

toothycardus

Ive just had a 12000 mile service 2x new tires chain and sprocket set and a few other little things and that set me back £786.48, and its like a new machine now lol

Skiman

coolant change is easy because there is a drain plug on the left side built into a lower, steel rad. hose. its a hex head bolt & you will have to get on your knees & stick your head on the ground to see it. (trick) don't take the rad cap off until all the coolant in the recovery tank is sucked out by vacuum created as the coolant drains out.

I'm going to ask a very stupid question.......when your finally ready to refill the system, does the recovery tank have to be filled separately or can the whole system be filled strictly through the radiator cap?

9 Lives

I'm going to ask a very stupid question.......when your finally ready to refill the system, does the recovery tank have to be filled separately or can the whole system be filled strictly through the radiator cap?

It has to be filled separately, a long neck funnel works well.

JAMF

Service Manager at my local dealer says that valve adj. not neccesary, wait till 50,000?????? Not sure about that. Says the ones he has pulled apart have not needed anything.

Blackfin

Service Manager at my local dealer says that valve adj. not neccesary, wait till 50,000?????? Not sure about that. Says the ones he has pulled apart have not needed anything.

The service manual calls for checking the valve clearances every 26,600 miles (42,000kms). I wouldn't wait until 50,000 miles to check it unless the last time it was checked you were at 25,000 miles...

Umyaya

I was going to put mine off tell 30k. 500 dollars is cheap for the places around here. If I could get mine done for 500 I would anytime. Planning on doing it ourselves with a buddy. Save some money.

Last edited:

Umyaya

Yeah I have talked to a lot of people where their valves were in spec.. I think a lot of companies like the Ducati make lots of service money off those short 6k mile intervals... because the shop will charge you the same price even if they are within spec!

9 Lives

I would at least check them, fairly easy to do yourself if your somewhat mechanically inclined. Pull the rad and valve cover check the clearances, if there in spec replace cover and rad, done. If there out of spec and your don't feel comfortable removing camshafts ect. take it to the dealer. If there a touch on the loose side, not a huge deal but if they are on the tight side, that is a big deal. As the valves wear into the seats you loose valve clearance, and sooner or later your going to burn a valve. This happens more on the exhaust valves because they get hotter, the reason most of the time the exhaust valves need to be adjusted and not the intake valves. On top of that the exhaust valves will burn the easiest again because of the heat. When that happens your going to wish you spent the $500.

Last edited: