25k service.. $875+ ????

Geanmage13

Hey guys, so my first full service is about to happen. Spark plugs, valves and all that good stuff. Dealership quoted 875 only for labor not including parts.[emoji33] Another place that I do oil changes said around 500 without parts. So either way I'm looking at $800 min...? Is that waaaaay too much or is it me? Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to do it myself 😑

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hey guys, so my first full service is about to happen. Spark plugs, valves and all that good stuff. Dealership quoted 875 only for labor not including parts.[emoji33] Another place that I do oil changes said around 500 without parts. So either way I'm looking at $800 min...? Is that waaaaay too much or is it me? Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to do it myself 😑

That's more or less in the ball park. Valve jobs get pricey probably one of the more expensive motorcycle maintance jobs. Also plugs on our bike suck to do since you have to remove radiator to do it comfortably. Throttle body sync is a tad bit time consuming due to the fact that the tank in propped up and not too much room to play with and it gets hot in there when the vacuum lines have to come back on.

9 Lives

Most of the cost will be the valve check/adjustment

They will remove the valve cover and check the valve clearances, if they are all in spec they will replace the valve cover and that's about it. If they have to adjust the valves then they have to remove the cams in order to switch out the shims. If they don't have to do any adjustments its a bit much money IMO, if they have to swap out shims then its worth it.

I did my own valve adjustment at 40,000 kms/ 25,000 miles and all my exhaust valves where out of spec on the tight side which in normal. As the valve wears into the seat it will lose some clearance. I only had to remove my exhaust camshaft and swapped out all the exhaust valve shims, I could reuse a few of them by moving them from one valve to another but some I had to buy, I think it was about $30 in shims. So my 25K service cost me 4 spark plugs and $30 in shims but I did all the work myself.

This is a service you don't want to skip, if the valves get to tight they will no longer completely close and will eventually burn, That's going to cost you big $$$

Geanmage13

Thank you gentlemen.. it doesn't look like I have a choice since I cannot perform it myself. I just wasn't ready to hear that $$$ amount lol.

mikeherdes

Maybe I'm stupid for doing this, but my FZ8 has 53,000km on it and I've never had the valves checked. I did the sparkplugs myself without fully removing the rad at around 25k. It's not that hard, just time consuming.

I just road from Ontario to Alberta and put over 4k on the bike in less than a week. I've never had a problem with it.
Not saying you shouldn't do scheduled maintenance, but if money is tight maybe you can just do the plugs yourself.

Geanmage13

Only problem so far is the code 48 which I believe has something to do with the air..?? Feel free to educate me😊 but other than that I am just getting ready to sell it and I want it to go in good hands and be taken care of.

9 Lives

Maybe I'm stupid for doing this, but my FZ8 has 53,000km on it and I've never had the valves checked. I did the sparkplugs myself without fully removing the rad at around 25k. It's not that hard, just time consuming.

I just road from Ontario to Alberta and put over 4k on the bike in less than a week. I've never had a problem with it.
Not saying you shouldn't do scheduled maintenance, but if money is tight maybe you can just do the plugs yourself.

All my exhaust valves were out of spec at 40,000 kms. Your bike your call.

mikeherdes

All my exhaust valves were out of spec at 40,000 kms. Your bike your call.

I decided to email a few dealerships around me to get a quote on this.... first one is looking like a robbery:

"
THE APPROXIMATE COST FOR A VALVE ADJUSTMENT ON YOUR 2012 FZ08 IS 10.2 HRS LABOR WHICH = $ 1315.00 PLUS PARTS . OUR TIMING TO DO THE JOB IS WE ARE BOOKING ABOUT 10 DAYS OUT . PLEASE CALL IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS .

THANKS ,"

I think I'll buy a new bike if that's the actual cost of the service.

mikeherdes

Only problem so far is the code 48 which I believe has something to do with the air..?? Feel free to educate me�� but other than that I am just getting ready to sell it and I want it to go in good hands and be taken care of.

Fault code No.
Item
Sub-throttle servo motor: stuck sub-throttle servo motor detected. signal from sub-throttle position sensor will not change. (sub-throt- tle servo motor will not start.)
Fail-safe system
Able to start engine
Able to drive vehicle
Diagnostic code No.
d:56
Actuation
Sub-throttle valve will close and stop at standard position after fully opened.
This operation takes about 3 seconds and engine trouble warning light will be turning on during operation.
Procedure
Check the operating sound of the sub-throttle servo motor.
Item/components and probable cause
Check or maintenance job
Sensor inspection proce- dure
Continuity of wire harness
Open or short circuit → Replace the wire harness Yellow/red–Yellow/red Yellow/white–Yellow/white Gray/black–Gray/black Gray/white–Gray/white
Place the main switch to the ON position, and check the fault code indication.
No fault code indicated. → Recovered.
Fault code indicated. → Check the next step.
ECU malfunction
Replace the ECU.

9 Lives

I decided to email a few dealerships around me to get a quote on this.... first one is looking like a robbery:

"
THE APPROXIMATE COST FOR A VALVE ADJUSTMENT ON YOUR 2012 FZ08 IS 10.2 HRS LABOR WHICH = $ 1315.00 PLUS PARTS . OUR TIMING TO DO THE JOB IS WE ARE BOOKING ABOUT 10 DAYS OUT . PLEASE CALL IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS .

THANKS ,"

I think I'll buy a new bike if that's the actual cost of the service.

10.2 hours seems a bit much to me, It took me approx 2-3 hours to disassemble and measure then about 3 hours to reassemble. That was taking my time and having a few beers. It was also the first time I did this job on this bike.

I am sure a shop with a experienced mech could do this in 4 - 5 hours max.

As the valves wear into the seats then loose clearance. If left unchecked long enough they could loose all the clearance and no longer completely close. The exhaust valves wear more because they are subject to much more heat and corrosive effects than the intake valves. (all my intake valves were still in spec)

When the exhaust valves no longer completely close the hot exhaust gasses will leak by them causing a cutting torch effect on them. AKA burnt valve.