2013 stock seat better than 2011-12?

dtbrown

2013 stock seat looks to be better upholstery and maybe more comfortable. Anyone that owns a 2013 give any feedback on the stock seat? Reason I ask is that my stock 2012 sucks. After 30 minutes my bottom loses feeling.

Yeah I know Shad is an option but I'm curious about the stock 2013 seat.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
2013 stock seat looks to be better upholstery and maybe more comfortable. Anyone that owns a 2013 give any feedback on the stock seat? Reason I ask is that my stock 2012 sucks. After 30 minutes my bottom loses feeling.

Yeah I know Shad is an option but I'm curious about the stock 2013 seat.

same shape, but different covering. I hear it's more grippy. I like the 12 seat. it's comfy for me.

decooney

I wondered the same thing when I first saw that '13 seat just because it looks softer based on the outside material used. In the back of my mind I've also been wondering about finding and buying a used stock seat someone changed out to experiment with, adding a bit more foam and different outside materials like the '13 seat.

For now, if I know I'm going to ride 100+ miles in a day on the FZ8, I wear a pair of Fox MX gel padded shorts that I normally use when riding my dirt bikes. It does help some. Last week during vacation to MotoGP, we rode 367 miles the first day on the trip. Both of us on FZ8s were really feeling the seats. The '12 seat does break some after use, but its definitely not made for longer rides. I'm interesting in hearing what others have tried versus replacing the seat with an aftermarket one.

master paper clip

i can do like 2 hrs straight before I start getting any discomfort, the trick is to periodically move your but, doesn't matter how comfortable the seat is if u don't move your body will become sore from the pressure of siting and the vibrations of the bike and road

I wondered the same thing when I first saw that '13 seat just because it looks softer based on the outside material used. In the back of my mind I've also been wondering about finding and buying a used stock seat someone changed out to experiment with, adding a bit more foam and different outside materials like the '13 seat.

For now, if I know I'm going to ride 100+ miles in a day on the FZ8, I wear a pair of Fox MX gel padded shorts that I normally use when riding my dirt bikes. It does help some. Last week during vacation to MotoGP, we rode 367 miles the first day on the trip. Both of us on FZ8s were really feeling the seats. The '12 seat does break some after use, but its definitely not made for longer rides. I'm interesting in hearing what others have tried versus replacing the seat with an aftermarket one.

if you want to make an offer...I havea stock2012 that I replaced with a Corbin

decooney

DarkSide,
Thanks, I'll PM you later if I can swing it. Let me check with my local upholstery person and see if he is not overly busy. And, I want to check and see if there are others who can do the same closer in my area. I'm weighing modifying the stock seat to just buying a Top Sellerie seat. By the time I buy a used seat, and modify it, I might end up with the same cost. There are a few others who own these and I want to get an idea if it really made a difference in comfort or not or if they just look cool.

Like this photo of another FZ8 forum member's seat I found online. Can't tell how much padding there is for the drivers seat.

villhelmromero

I just had a thought. what I was thinking about getting a temur pedic pillow and having an upholster put that material in place of the original foam. might be super comfy. I found some new on Craigslist for about $40.

decooney

I just had a thought. what I was thinking about getting a temur pedic pillow and having an upholster put that material in place of the original foam. might be super comfy. I found some new on Craigslist for about $40.

I had similar thoughts in terms of types of materials however the density needs might change between the weight of one's head lying horizontal vs. the full weight of ones body sitting vertically. I wonder if there is such thing as tempur pedic seat cushion to cut some foam from? hmm...

Last edited:

villhelmromero

I had similar thoughts in terms of types of materials however the density needs might change between the weight of one's head lying horizontal vs. the full weight of ones body sitting vertically. I wonder if there is such thing as tempur pedic seat cushion?

I think they sell four different densities ranging from soft to firm. I'm sure the firm is still softer than the oem seat. I'll hit up a tempur pedic store and test out each density.

decooney

I think they sell four different densities ranging from soft to firm. I'm sure the firm is still softer than the oem seat. I'll hit up a tempur pedic store and test out each density.

Good to know. I'd even be willing to make it 1" taller than the stock seat if it turned out the tempur foam would compress enough to achieve the same height once seated. Interested in hearing what you come up with on the different options. Thanks!

TorontoAlex

I agree that you have to move around some times to stay comfy. When i first got the biie i rode about 2 hrs and was extremely sore. Had a hard time pissing. Now that the seat is broken in a two hour ride isnt so bad. Wearing comfy biker pants helps. Jeans suck.

Kardiac996

JUst got my FZ8 yesterday 2013 and have almost 200 miles on it already.

The seat is comfortable for about 1hour then I gotta move around a bit to take the pressure off. Im 5'10 205 lbs and i can see the seat being best in comfort for people in the 180 ish range.

It feels like most my weight is put down right in the center of my tail bone and outside edges of my butt. Feels like the seat needs to be 2-4 inches wider overall to help displace weight.

Ill def be looking for an upgraded seat my self in the future. It is worlds better then my superhawk stock seat so im still smiling :)

decooney

Kardiac996,
Good to know, and thanks for the report. By touch, the '13 seat seemed softer but your confirmation tells us we all still need to figure out what to do with the FZ8 seat if we plan to take it on longer day rides. I'm also interested in hearing more about your Superhawk comparison to the FZ8 as well. I came real close to buying one before the FZ8 having not ridden either but won't ask to derail this "seat" thread with other info we can cover separately. Thanks for the '13 seat report, it helps to know. Not sure what I'm going to do with my '12 seat yet, custom or aftermarket. The factory seat does break in some after the first 1000 miles as I recall but still a pain in the butt after 2+ hour ride. Rode mine for 10 hours a week ago on a trip on CA-1 to MotoGP and the last 3 hours was not fun to say the least.

Larry P

I would recommend looking into an airhawk seat. I use the small cruiser style for long trips and its amazing. It also raises you up about an inch for less bend in your knees. I though the '13 seat felt firmer than mine when I sat on it, probably just lack of break in though.

Kardiac996

Kardiac996,
Good to know, and thanks for the report. By touch, the '13 seat seemed softer but your confirmation tells us we all still need to figure out what to do with the FZ8 seat if we plan to take it on longer day rides. I'm also interested in hearing more about your Superhawk comparison to the FZ8 as well. I came real close to buying one before the FZ8 having not ridden either but won't ask to derail this "seat" thread with other info we can cover separately. Thanks for the '13 seat report, it helps to know. Not sure what I'm going to do with my '12 seat yet, custom or aftermarket. The factory seat does break in some after the first 1000 miles as I recall but still a pain in the butt after 2+ hour ride. Rode mine for 10 hours a week ago on a trip on CA-1 to MotoGP and the last 3 hours was not fun to say the least.

No problem at all. Send me a PM, id love to provide insight into the hawk she is a great bike and is a great companion to the Fz8. Best of both worlds actually.