2013 FZ8

S

Shock

The fork forks are sick I am going to be putting aside money to buy the entire front fork assembly for my '12. Other items I want are better mirrors the stock mirrors are so cheap looking, led lights, xenon headlights, Corbin seats or maybe Tom sellerie, definitely want a custom paint job. I like the matte coloring but have seen other paint schemes out there on people's bikes that blew me away oh almost forgot shorty shifters and new hand grips I have a lot of saving to do

S

Shock

Only if you lived in TX and I could convince the wife adding a 2nd bike made sense (my freshman in high school is dying for a bike but I'm thinking between 125-300cc)

D

DJK1505

Why not just get the black R1 forks?

Can do the whole swap for around 7-800.

Or go buy new forks from Yamaha for a 2013 FZ8 and prob spend 1500+.

Just my opinion.

DJ

S

Shock

I'll continue to look for the R1 forks for a swap but I haven't found any complete sets in good condition

Ben1105

Only if you lived in TX and I could convince the wife adding a 2nd bike made sense (my freshman in high school is dying for a bike but I'm thinking between 125-300cc)

I got my FZ8 the summer after my sophomore year, I don't think any beginner would have a problem with this bike, unless they are just plain scrawny.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I got my FZ8 the summer after my sophomore year, I don't think any beginner would have a problem with this bike, unless they are just plain scrawny.

My son will be 16 next week, he has been riding on the back country roads for the last month with my FZ8, he is wanting something with a little more power and suspension when he gets his permit next week. The FZ8 is a great sterter bike, well balanced, good low end power, but not too much power to scare a first time rider. I like the bike for cool waether or wet road riding , power is very tractable and confinence inspireing.

master paper clip

My son will be 16 next week, he has been riding on the back country roads for the last month with my FZ8, he is wanting something with a little more power and suspension when he gets his permit next week. The FZ8 is a great sterter bike, well balanced, good low end power, but not too much power to scare a first time rider. I like the bike for cool waether or wet road riding , power is very tractable and confinence inspireing.

Hahahaha. Want him scared have u had him coast up to 6k in first then snap the throttle wide open, that will start a nice rush

S

Shock

I daughter is 5'3" and about 110 lbs. so I think an FZ8 would definitely be too much for a first bike. She'll be lucky to get a 250cc if the wife caves in. I look at as there's no texting and driving and no friends along for the ride once I tell her that if a friend is taken on a ride I sell it.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Hahahaha. Want him scared have u had him coast up to 6k in first then snap the throttle wide open, that will start a nice rush

He is 16, remember the days, we all thought we were invincible. He has been doing wheelies, stoppies, and cracked the throttle with a clutch slap at over 6k rpm, the young don't scare easy like us old farts LOL. He has been begging to sling a leg over my 2012 VMX17(Vmax), not going to happen, i want him alive for a long time ( plus i don't want him to beat my 400 ft no clutch /no brake burnout snake on our road). The pull from 3k rpm on the beast will stain the shorts in the most seasoned rider, if he feels that power he will for sure want more than the FZ8. Can't wait to cruise the public roads with him next week, only 2 weeks left on the insurance on both bikes so i hope the snow doesn't fall till after then. Looking forward to getting custom paint work done on both bikes this winter though.:)

B

bren

only 2 weeks left on the insurance on both bikes so i hope the snow doesn't fall till after then. Looking forward to getting custom paint work done on both bikes this winter though.:)

Pretty lucky living her in Sydney- no snow, so we ride all year round! Gets cols in winter but nothing a thermal liner wont fix..

master paper clip

Pretty lucky living her in Sydney- no snow, so we ride all year round! Gets cols in winter but nothing a thermal liner wont fix..

Damn u lucky Ausies... I would move there just to ride year long, I live my truck but loath having to drive it instead of my bike

C

Camo

How's the Vmax treating you BW? I'll bet you find it hard to get back on the 8...

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Vmax is treating me fine, put 9000 kms in the last 2.5 months. Found that with the new frame and the fully adjustable race suspension makes this beast a blast in the twisties here in B.C. It will do better in the twisties due to its suspension and power over the FZ8. There is a video with a pro rider, on a New gen Vmax keeping ahead of a GSXR 1000 in the twisties.. Coming out of corners i have to be carefull not to roll on too much throttle as it gets sideways in a hurry. The first time i did a full throttle acceleration i had to stop and pull over to clear my head and stomach, have never felt such a rush in my life. Have the race ECU installed and then re-flashed by Tim Nash(Vmax Guru at Gurued Gear, so over 200 HP now. The Vmax is a great bike for beating pret near anything on the road. Have rode it to a 9.9 sec 1/4 mile at 215.8 KM/h. My buddies 2012 ZX-14 will start to pull away after 240 km/h due to its aerodynamics, and i have only 9 months of street bike riding under my belt(FZ8 was my first love LOL). Twist the throttle hard in the first 3 gears and you are laying hundreds of feet of rubber at will, going 60 kméh and hitting the throttle will leave the tire smoking and when it gets traction the front end comes up and you ar riding a wheelie( closed course / private road of course). Brakes are very confidence inspireing with the ABS. The Vmax is a lot more comfy than the FZ8, but i still love the FZ8. The FZ8 is a great bike for the $$$, i have had several guys wanting to buy it, but it is just a cool little bike and since i don't need the cash i will hang onto it for awhile, my son has been thrashing about on it lately so it isn't just sitting. and i am most likely doing a custom paint/ air brush on the FZ8, my sons call the FZ8 a Mini max LOL. Having 2 naked Yamaha's in the garage is very nice . As far as Naked sport bikes go, the FZ8 is the best looking of all time( no i am not biased ,LOL). I still like to ride the FZ8, sucks winter is coming though. Soory to the rest of you , this is a FZ8 forum and i will try to keep my posts relative to the GREAT FZ8.

Last edited:
H

Hoover

I love the V-Max, and one day, I will have one.
However, it will not be the current one. Don't take this personaly, but in the flesh, that is one ugly pig.
At this years Crud Run, many riders checked out the 8's that were there, and the multiple Max's and were very complimentary. There were 2 new Max's parked together and very few cared for them.
I have been lucky to have many friends with them, some stock, some not. I have a friend with a supercharged one that is insane. I would love to build a Spondon framed, chain driven Max.
I just think that Yamaha have lost the plot with the new one.
Sorry, just my :2cents:

C

Camo

Thanks mate, feel free to talk about the big V! If I could afford one, I'd be on one right now lol. Sorry Hoover, I'm going to have to disagree..I'm a huge fan of the newer V. The old style isn't to my taste at all.

In a perfect world my garage would consist of a ZX12r for track work, a Vmax for fun and the FZ8 for commuting. Maybe even room for a blackbird to do touring duty...or go all out and get a multistrada ;)
Wish money wasn't an issue....lol