2012 FZ8 Won't Start

hsrob

So I've really done a number on my 2012 FZ8. I am/was in the process of installing a BKMoto HID projector to replace the pitiful stock flashlight, and at the same time did the airbox mod (removed the snorkel part), partially because it was already apart, and partially to fit the ballast and extra wiring for the HID. Everything appears to be fine with the HID, it turns on and looks great when I'm actually able to get the bike started, the problem is the bike doesn't start anymore. It cranks over just fine, battery's good, never had a problem before this. I've also tried "jumping" the bike from my car (with the car off of course), since the battery is a bit drained now from all the times I've tried to start it.

I've gone through and verified everything within my ability. I was only able to check one of the spark plugs due to time constraints (you have to remove the radiator and all that to get to the rest. I replaced that plug just for kicks, but also re-tried the old one. I also verified that the ignition coil is functioning on that one with an inline spark tester. I checked all the fuses, they are fine. I did accidentally tip the gas tank over sideways a bit while my friend had it propped up, which yanked the wires out of the fuel pump cable, but I replaced them and the pump appears to be priming OK, although I can't say for sure if it's actually pumping fuel. I've added some more gas, so there's plenty of fresh gas in the tank. I've run through the diagnostic mode as described in the service manual, and everything looks fine. Tilt sensor, kickstand sensor, clutch sensor, throttle position sensor, all ignition coils and injectors seem to be actuating. The self-diagnosis system isn't throwing any codes at all, and seems to be fine.

The bike was running perfectly fine before this, so my thoughts are that either somehow the airbox mod made it so the motor isn't getting the amount of air expecting or something (I did the same one everyone else did, looks fine to me, sanded and finished it all and everything seems OK on that front...), or the fuel pump is toast or malfunctioning. I don't think it's electrical, at least not as far as the computer or other things. I believe while troubleshooting the yanked out wires on the fuel pump I may have crossed them, but I'm not sure if it damaged the pump, since it still primes and sounds normal, and seems to be operating when I crank the bike. I also smell unburnt gas from the exhaust after cranking it for a bit. The spark plug I pulled wasn't wet, it looked like a normal brownish color, no oddities.

Now, I was able to get the bike to start a few times, a couple of which were using starter spray from Autozone, which got the bike started, it ran and sounded fine (although it was sputtering, not unlike when I ran out of fuel). I also went back out today after work and it sounded like it wanted to start (it cranked and caught but died almost immediately, the headlight came on though which generally means it got ignition). After both times getting it started or near started, I wasn't able to get it to start again, even using starter spray.

So, my best guess at this point is the fuel pump is bad, but I'm not really sure how to check it, since it sounds fine and I think fuel is getting in somewhere, but the fact that it started with the spray and then coughed out seems to indicate that it wasn't getting any fuel. Any thoughts before I have it towed to the shop tomorrow?

W

WARPTH

I could be wrong, but, By the sound of it you know what your doing, but in saying that it does sound LIKE the fuel pump but there could also be a ecu issue. If it was me id be pulling the fuel line off and see if theres any fuel getting to the throttle bodys.

D

Deleted member 438

It's also possible that you may have kinked the fuel line when you tipped the tank.

W

WARPTH

Lol. +1 for the kinked fuel line! Its usually the simplest most obvious thing when youve already tried everything else.

D

DJK1505

its pretty hard to hear the fuel pump prime over the subthrottle motor. Pull your fuel line and see if you have fuel, or pull the line off the engine and turn the key on. See if you have fuel coming out. Not sure if there is a safety feature that stops the fuel when you disconnect it from the engine. make sure all the wires you put back in the fuel pump connector are in good, and stay. You could have a wiring issue now, like they are not making good contact.

If you hold the throttle at about 2-5% does it start? Check you TPS sensor, in your diagnostic mode what does your sensor read at idle, or without turning the throttle at all? Should read between 14-20.

Next you could get a fuel pressure gauge and the fuel pressure test harness from Yamaha and check your pressure. I doubt it is a bad fuel pump, just a wiring issue.

Other than that pull your battery cables and let it sit for a while disconnected. Kinda resets the ecm. Hope this helps.

DJ

hsrob

Thanks for the advice, I gave up due to lack of time (work) and took it to the shop. Turns out I did cross the wires when re-installing the fuel pump. Works great now, I superglued and silicon'd them in so they won't come out again (they were getting loose).