2012 FZ8 - Suspension Upgrades

cjbenedict

I just moved from an R6 to an FZ8, love the new bike but am not used to the soft suspension that isn't adjustable. I'm planning on upgrading in the near future.

I'm planning on a budget build, not going to go buck wild.

Please note that I bought the bike 6 days ago, I haven't had time to do all the research yet.

First question, because the FZ8 has a frame and swingarm from a FZ1, would a FZ1 rear shock be a simple bolt-on, or would adjustments be needed. Are there any other oem shocks that would be a simple bolt-on (ie. 20xx R6, R1)?

Second question, although for street riding there isn't much of a performance difference between aftermarket rear shocks, but does anyone have a preference in brands/models (ie. cost, maintenance schedule)?

For the front forks what are common upgrades to help tune the suspension. Changing the fork fluid, changing the springs, changing the valving, changing the cartridges?

Has anyone done a fork swap or a front end swap with something that is fully adjustable that is a simple bolt-on (ie 20xx R6, R1)?

Any input to point me in the right direction is appreciated. Cheers

pae58

FZ1 shock fits. But it's not so much better. Ohlins fork springs and oil help a little bit.
I have an Ohlins S46 DR1 and Ohlins cartridges:). But 1900 Euro (about 2800 CAD) ... :eek:

Axel

FZ8canuk

I just moved from an R6 to an FZ8, love the new bike but am not used to the soft suspension that isn't adjustable. I'm planning on upgrading in the near future.

Please note that I bought the bike 6 days ago, I haven't had time to do all the research yet.

First question, because the FZ8 has a frame and swingarm from a FZ1, would a FZ1 rear shock be a simple bolt-on, or would adjustments be needed. Are there any other oem shocks that would be a simple bolt-on (ie. 20xx R6, R1)?

Second question, although for street riding there isn't much of a performance difference between aftermarket rear shocks, but does anyone have a preference in brands/models (ie. cost, maintenance schedule)?

For the front forks what are common upgrades to help tune the suspension. Changing the fork fluid, changing the springs, changing the valving, changing the cartridges?

Has anyone done a fork swap or a front end swap with something that is fully adjustable that is a simple bolt-on (ie 20xx R6, R1)?

I swaped out he rear with a Nitron about $600.00 and the front with a Matris set up made for the Fz8. Complete kit with full adjustment came with weight specicific springs, cartages , oil and adjusters $889.00 best mods to date completely different bike.

kpedro

I swaped out he rear with a Nitron about $600.00 and the front with a Matris set up made for the Fz8. Complete kit with full adjustment came with weight specicific springs, cartages , oil and adjusters $889.00 best mods to date completely different bike.

Where did you get the Matris cartridges for that price? Canadian dealer?

elim70

David at fastbikeindustries.com sources fully adjustable front fork cartridges for around $899. I don't track the bike and I am by no means an expert, but the addition of racetech gold valve kit and springs, heavier fork oil, and a fz1 shock made my 2011 much more composed and confidence inspiring when I turn it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FZ8canuk

Where did you get the Matris cartridges for that price? Canadian dealer?

PJ's parts.com smaller dealer out of the USA, husband and wife team absolutely the best to deal with. Spoke to them on the phone and through email and they are very very fair in their pricing and super helpful, I recommend them every chance I get they are not looking to get rich off their customers and are more concerned you get what you need. You should check them out I am sure you won't be disappointed.

cmurder

Pillion
FZ1 fork cartridges can be found for bout $250 bucks
FZ1 rear shock straight bolt on
or R1 rear shock with the SATAN 666 adapter
i sold the the Fz1 fork tubes on ebay for $150 so the whole setup was under $300 including beer

cjbenedict

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm glad to see that there are several options for upgrading the suspension on these bikes :). I'll take your comments, do some more research, and hopefully have it all done come spring time. Cheers

Umyaya

I have a 2011 FZ8 so no adjustability on the front forks. I am thinking about upgrading the rear shock... would this be enough? Or should I spend the extra money and get some fork springs? Hyperpro sold a street box... or Ohlins did. My question is are the FZ8 forks standard where you would unscrew the top canister or do you have to take the forks out from the bottom? Is just an aftermarket rear shock sufficient for aggressive street riding? No track!

cjbenedict

I have a 2011 FZ8 so no adjustability on the front forks. I am thinking about upgrading the rear shock... would this be enough? Or should I spend the extra money and get some fork springs? Hyperpro sold a street box... or Ohlins did. My question is are the FZ8 forks standard where you would unscrew the top canister or do you have to take the forks out from the bottom? Is just an aftermarket rear shock sufficient for aggressive street riding? No track!

I do a bit of track with my R6. When it comes to suspension a balance of the front and rear can be more important than having it set perfect for you. The idea being that you don't want the front super soft and the rear super stiff. That could really mess you up in a corner when hitting a bump.

If you just want to upgrade the rear, keep the balance in mind (since the front is super soft), or upgrade the front as well.

I haven't taken my forks apart yet, I would assume they have a standard cartridge system inside that can be fairly easily swapped. Other people may have done it and know for certain?

cjbenedict

Oh, good question! Can the fork cartridges be swapped with any others on the market with adjustability? Do stock R6/R1/any other cartridges fit in the FZ8 forks?

FZ8canuk

A good rear shock would make a huge difference, really improved the ride on mine and probably would have been enough for the street. I decided to go the extra mile with the Matris front end and now the bike rides on a rail in the twistys and the front end does not dive hard . If your budget allows it I would do the front end. If you want to know where your front end is working most of the time rap a tie down to the front fork tube this will give you an indication of how much the fork is compressing. before I did the front end my fork would compress almost to the end of the tube now with the adjustable forks its in the sweet spot and i am able to adjust to different road conditions if I need to.

Umyaya

A good rear shock would make a huge difference, really improved the ride on mine and probably would have been enough for the street. I decided to go the extra mile with the Matris front end and now the bike rides on a rail in the twistys and the front end does not dive hard . If your budget allows it I would do the front end. If you want to know where your front end is working most of the time rap a tie down to the front fork tube this will give you an indication of how much the fork is compressing. before I did the front end my fork would compress almost to the end of the tube now with the adjustable forks its in the sweet spot and i am able to adjust to different road conditions if I need to.

Ya I will probably get the front springs and a rear shock.

cmurder

Pillion
FZ1 fork cartridges can be found for bout $250 bucks
FZ1 rear shock straight bolt on
or R1 rear shock with the SATAN 666 adapter
i sold the the Fz1 fork tubes on ebay for $150 so the whole setup was under $300 including beer

LOOK ^^^