2012 FZ8 shock with stiffer spring

subxero

Hey everyone.

I don't have this just yet, it is on its way but here is the info with a back story so I can at least get some interest in it a brewing

I am doing some mods to some other bikes and will be trying to sell some of the left overs from my Frankenstein mods

Here is what is going on.
I have a used 08 GSXR 600 shock that I am slapping on another bike.
stock gsxr 600 shock comes with 9.4kg/mm spring
^to stiff for me :)

So I bought a used stock 12 fz8 shock with complete linkage & doggy bones which has a spring rate of 8.1kg/mm <-- much better for my weight.

Everything I read says springs for these two shocks are same dimensions so they should swap effortlessly. The idea is I will put the 9.4kg/mm spring onto the stock FZ8 shock and sell it that way.

This set up should be much better for any rider 150lbs and over and ideal for a rider around 160-175lbs

Will look to sell the entire shock/spring plus linkage and dog bones for around $55 shipped, I could probably split it up for the right amount if people are interested like sell spring by itself and you can do the spring swap, or any of the other pieces if anyone needs them, I'm flexible
To buy a new spring for your weight you are looking at around $110 just to give you an idea

Let me know if anyone is interested in anything. I will update with pics as soon as I get the parts

FZ8Ryder

I am very interested in the whole set up or at least the spring. I will take it off your hands if no one else already has. Let me know.

subxero

^Awesome!! Consider it yours. Let me know if you change your mind obviously.

Like I said, the parts are coming in the mail yet but I should have everything in a few days, and can send you some pics just to make sure everything is to your liking.

paypal is easiest IMO if you use it? Otherwise MO or cert check, I ship after I receive MO or check.

I would like to sell the whole thing like I said $55 shipped, if that works for you it works for me.

Ill keep you posted.

edit: I should have the 9.4kg/mm gsxr spring today, but won't get the FZ8 shock assembly till next week

Last edited:

subxero

Just some info for anyone else looking for a different rate spring for the rear shock. It would appear that the 02-03 R1 shock spring is the same dimension as the FZ8 (not confirmed in person) And the R1 spring has a little higher rate at 8.8kg/mm so that spring might be a good option for someone who is really light or just looking to stiffen it up a bit but keep it soft at the same time

FZ8Ryder

I mean I still have my stock shock so essentially I would just need the spring to swap it out. If I could just get the spring that would be preferable because as far as I know it's not too hard to swap out the spring. Would I be able to just get the spring? And pictures would be much appreciated thank you! Yes I would use PayPal.

subxero

Yeah I can just send the spring, I'm cool with that.

hmmm how about $27 for the spring shipped, usps priority? I figure I might be able to get it shipped for around $6 if I'm lucky, and $1 to cover paypal taking their cut that leaves me with probably closer to $19 to pocket.

Like I said, I should have spring tonight, ill send some pics and if we do paypal after you see things and give the ok I can have it in the mail as early as lunch time This coming Monday.

let me know if the price is ok for you

Pics won't be up till later tonight if I'm lucky, I won't have time to mess with things till after 9pm Eastern Std time

FZ8Ryder

That sounds fantastic to me!! Just send some pics once you can and then I will PayPal you the money straight away. Thanks again buddy!

subxero

some pics, like i said it is off of a used shock so some paint wear but you could do a light sand and paint what ever color you want with minimal effort

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Good luck with this.

FYI- fz1 shocks are 30-50$

R1 shocks are 50$ + adapter (80$)

Remember that your not getting adjustability with the new spring..... Just a new spring.

But hey I'm the one that put an 09 r6s shock on mine to see if it worked so.....

Knowledge is power. Thx

FZ8Ryder

Hey thanks for the info Banky. Would the spring be a good idea for me since I only weigh about 148lbs with full gear? Or would that be too stiff?

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
BTW not trying to thread jack, the OP came up with a goos idea that will work for a particular person.

Hey thanks for the info Banky. Would the spring be a good idea for me since I only weigh about 148lbs with full gear? Or would that be too stiff?

Wow uhhh, go to racetech and do there spring calculator for the fz8 or just call em. They do this all the time.

I'm not good with spring rates and nano neutons and kilograms per ton..... Lol

RT - Digital Product Search

They have a "calculate spring rate" hyper link on the left a little ways down.

FZ8Ryder

BTW not trying to thread jack, the OP came up with a goos idea that will work for a particular person.

Wow uhhh, go to racetech and do there spring calculator for the fz8 or just call em. They do this all the time.

I'm not good with spring rates and nano neutons and kilograms per ton..... Lol

RT - Digital Product Search

They have a "calculate spring rate" hyper link on the left a little ways down.

Yeah it is a great idea. I've checked racetech and they recommended closest available to 9.1 kg/mm. I just don't know if the 9.4 spring from the GSXR would be too stiff for me combined with the fz8 shock due to no adjustability. Maybe I'd have to call racetech and they might know. Any help is appreciated though.

NoNine4me

Just keep in mind with that higher spring rate the damping rates will be vastly overwhelmed. For around town and whatnot, fine, but don't expect going to a high-rate spring with flaccid damping to help settle the rear end elsewhere.

subxero

Like others have said, stock shock has no rebound or dampening adjustment so the only thing u can change without going aftermarket or swap mod is to just change the spring. It still makes a lot more sense to use a spring for ur weight vs one that is outside of a good range. This also ensures ur bike can b easily returned to stock for selling and trade it purposes unlike a swap mod that most likely calls for drilling or altering stock components in one way shape or form.

Yeah, this spring would b to stiff for a 145lb rider, 165lbs give or take should b a good weight for this spring.

Everything is back up for sale, entire shock and linkage or separate pieces, let me know.

subxero

no longer available but check new listing for used stock FZ8 shock and a used 2003 R1 shock that has a stock 8.8kg/mm spring both in good shape.