2012 FZ 8 rear Shock v FZ 1 2009 rear Shock

Jubby

Hi Guys,

Just got myself an FZ 8 N 2012. My old boy has an FZ1 09 model that he has done many mods to which means plenty of stock spares for me if needed.

My questions is after hours of research and no luck in answering my question, my question is........... Is it worth swapping the standard rear shcok on my FZ 8 for his older 09 FZ 1 rear shock.

The FZ 8 i have has the spring preload and rebound damping adjustments the same as the FZ 1 09's standard shock. I weigh approx 75KG or 165 pounds.

I just want to know what the better shock is. The FZ 8 has had 3,000km of use and the FZ 1 approx 15,000km before it was replaced.

It will be a swap or nothing else, as funds are tight right now. I have my first track day coming up back end of november 14 and wanna have time to play with the settings for a very bumpy track prior to attending.

Any advice or help is very much appreciated.

Jubby

Thanks Mate- im glad we have target here coz that is funny stuff.
Will jump on it Sunday.

wasnt sure if the 2012 Fz8 shock was a slightly better shock yo the 2011 model as it got the rebound damping adjustment??

Umyaya

Ya the 2012 fz8 shock is better than the 2011 but it's still not very good. Also switching out the shock takes 30 mins top.

Last edited:

Jubby

Thanks mate i have set up struts in roof at man hole and have ratchet straps setup over the man. A kindy bday got in the way to complete.... thanks for advice again. .

Jubby

Mate I have just received the paperwork and the bike is a 2013 model. Does this make any difference or are still riding on pogo sticks???

cmurder

Pillion
stock suspension on any FZ8 is garbage ,, swap out with the FZ1 shock and you will be much happier , once the funds come available upgrade to the R1 shock ,, well worth it

Umyaya

Yup. Still riding on a pogo stick... maybe a newer edition pogo stick with fancy stickers lol yeah if you are riding the bike hard or taking it to the track you def want a suspension upgrade. Probably don't need one if yoy just commute or cruise casual on the street.

Last edited:

Jubby

Thanks Guys.

I have a bought a 08 R1 rear shock from the wreckers and am just awaiting the production to commence on the r1 rear shock adaptor. They should hopefully be ready in around 3 - 4 weeks. Also ordered some new adjustable billets to help give that bit extra clearance at the footpegs as i have managed to smash both the standard hero nobs of just on the road!!!!

Looking forward to seeing what the FZ 8 can really do on the track.

Still many mods to do haven't even done the free mods yet. Track day is mid december.

Any tips for the back can????