2012 clutch free play adjustment

marko

Yamaha specs for clutch free play

I will answer my own question so others can have the info:
Yamaha spec for clutch free play is 0.39 inches-0.59 inches or 10-15mm for our foreign friends that use that horrible metric system.

lyric911

Yamaha spec for clutch free play is 0.39 inches-0.59 inches or 10-15mm for our foreign friends that use that horrible metric system.

Imperial is the horrible one. Base 10 math wins.

RS1

Is this measured like totally free play, like it will stay 10mm either direction when nudged that direction? Or is it measured as in '10mm it will start to pull and actually move the cable, but might have slight tension the entire pull'?
The reason I ask is because I'm having issues on my 2012 with 250 miles where the clutch stays engaged for about a second or 2 after pulling it in completely...

Thanks

socal

10-15mm slack between grip and end of lever. not lever to its hinge point. At the specified distance you will feel light tension.

RS1

10-15mm slack between grip and end of lever. not lever to its hinge point. At the specified distance you will feel light tension.

So it's not the 'resting point' of the lever, it's more like the 'tension point'? Like if they call for 10mm at the end of the lever, then it's not like the lever can 'rest' 10mm without being touched, but rather it's the point of 'tension' when pulling it? (which may or may not cause it to rest all the way forward)

Thanks

JSP

Administrator
Free movement measured at the END of the clutch handle. You should be able to move it the specified distance before it puts any pull on the linkage.. Yes, the lever will/should still sit flush/pulled back. Then you can very lightly pull it the specified slack range before you feel it tighten and start to pull on the actual linkage.

Last edited:

RS1

Free movement measured at the END of the clutch handle. You should be able to move it the specified distance before it puts any pull on the linkage.. Yes, the lever will/should still sit flush/pulled back. Then you can very lightly pull it the specified slack range before you feel it tighten and start to pull on the actual linkage.

Major help.. thanks for the info!

rontash

Hi, RSI. I also wanted to say thanks for providing the additional stuff from the service manual. I'm having a bit of a problem, however, in locating exactly where cable tensioning is on my bike. Not the lever side, but the engine side. Can't make out the diagram and, as it's drawn, it does not seem to be close to the actual clutch assembly. But it could just be the the drawing. Any thoughts? Thanks, rontash.

b-eock

Its on the inside of the left side of the frame. So under the fuel tank.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

cambo

Avid Rider
Jay I thanked your last post because I lol'd at your signature block.

I wish I could grow facial hair, I will never feel like a true outdoorsman without that epic beard.

Some guys have penis envy. Some guys have beard envy.

I have both.

G'damn asian genes...

JSP

Administrator
Jay I thanked your last post because I lol'd at your signature block.

I wish I could grow facial hair, I will never feel like a true outdoorsman without that epic beard.

Some guys have penis envy. Some guys have beard envy.

I have both.

G'damn asian genes...

:D

Now thats funny!

Last edited: