2012 brake-in completed, here are my mods...

dubel

I just completed the 1000 mile brake in period, and figured I'd post some pictures of my bike so far. I added the following:

1. Yamaha Frame Sliders
2. Yamaha Center Stand - convenient for chain cleaning
3. Yamaha Radiator Cover (wish it was darker but had Yamaha bucks to spend)
4. Givi 366KIT and PLXR366 mount with V35 hard cases. Was initially going to do a V46 top case but didn't like how far it sat off the back of the bike, and the monorack arms for the top case are not easily removed and looked ridiculous when the top case was not mounted. The PLXR mount comes off quickly leaving an almost stock look when not using the side cases.
5. Battery Tender battery leads install under seat for maintenance charging
6. Yamaha "License Plate Holder" Tail Tidy - cleaned up the heavy stock one while still allowing the turn signals to be seen behind my Givi V35 bags. The PLXR comes with a turn signal relocation kit, but it makes the stock fender look even worse.
7. Yamaha LED turn signals (rear)
8. Speedmetal Flash LED Relay - slow blink rate to DOT standard with LED

My next upgrades will be an LED brake light (already have it but waiting on a connector to mate with the factory connector), and LED turn signals for the front. I haven't found them yet but want some that are visible from the sides, bright, look like they match, and if possible, function as running lights like the stock ones do.

dubel

How easy is it to remove the givi rack?

The PLXR366 rack that is used to hold the V35 side cases removes easily. The rack has a special key that is used to attach the rack to installed hard points on the bike. A 1/4 turn of the key frees the mount points. Two on the passenger pegs, two under the rear seat, and one connection that bridges the left and right mount rack. The cases attach and remove from the rack even easier, using a standard lock key that comes with the cases. You could leave the rack on all the time, it is not that unsightly though doesn't "belong" on the bike.

The monorack arms on the other hand used to mount a top case is not easily removed and looks really out of place with or without the top case installed.

The top case does hold more, and is easier to load while attached to the bike. It also would not interfere as much for lane splitting if your state allows it. I didn't need the space so decided it wasn't worth having the top case.

kwrose66

Sharp looking bike dubel, I've got the Raven from the year prior. Although the paint on the '12 is much sharper looking, wished I'd waited! Looks good. Why did you opt for the Givi's? How do you like them? I'm considering the connection blaze sport saddlebag system at twistedthrottle.com. When they're installed, the Givi's, look too bulky for me, but they have that hard case as a plus.

dubel

Why did you opt for the Givi's? How do you like them?

I have a heavier 15.4" laptop I need to take to work each day. It fits in a backpack but it gets hot here in AZ in the summer and does rain once in a while. The cases have already been rained on and the contents stayed dry. Also I need to pick up items on the way home on occasion. The Givi cases were large enough to fit my laptop and got relatively good reviews online.

They are bulky. I just posted a full review in the mods section of this forum, check it out for some pictures with the cases installed.

I like the V35 side cases though they are not perfect. They do add a lot of width to the bike. I don't notice any difference in ride characteristics and they do seem really stable.

Ultimately, I am able to ride a lot more having the cases, so for me it was either the bike could look really cool sitting in my garage, or it could look a little silly while I ride it. ;)

Last edited:
C

Camo

Looks like it's been modded for doing a spot of traveling, doesn't look silly at all.
I really dig the new colour scheme. Nice job :)

So what's next on the list?

dubel

So what's next on the list?

Next item which I have sitting next to me awaiting install is the Motodynamic's LED brake light. It includes integrated turn signals though if I use those it will be in addition to the Yamaha signals. The brake light does a quick flash on application prior to solid, which should make me more visible.

2006-2012 Yamaha FZ1 FZ8 Sequential LED Tail Light Smoke Lens - YouTube

I ordered it before Motodynamic realized the FZ8 uses a different connector than the FZ1, and now I'm just waiting for them to send me the correct connector so I don't have to cut up my factor wiring. So far their customer service has been awesome so I am optimistic.

I have tested it out with my power supply and something I like already is that the LED lights are spanned horizontally across the entire lens, as apposed to the factory one where the reflector only spans half of the available lens area.

crspangenberg

Next item which I have sitting next to me awaiting install is the Motodynamic's LED brake light. It includes integrated turn signals though if I use those it will be in addition to the Yamaha signals. The brake light does a quick flash on application prior to solid, which should make me more visible.

2006-2012 Yamaha FZ1 FZ8 Sequential LED Tail Light Smoke Lens - YouTube

I ordered it before Motodynamic realized the FZ8 uses a different connector than the FZ1, and now I'm just waiting for them to send me the correct connector so I don't have to cut up my factor wiring. So far their customer service has been awesome so I am optimistic.

I have tested it out with my power supply and something I like already is that the LED lights are spanned horizontally across the entire lens, as apposed to the factory one where the reflector only spans half of the available lens area.

Could you please send me the link of the FZ8 harness I have been wanting to get this LED Tailight Assembly for quite sometime!

dubel

Could you please send me the link of the FZ8 harness I have been wanting to get this LED Tailight Assembly for quite sometime!

You could order the socket cord assembly from one of the OEM distributors:
Yamaha Parts, Yamaha Snowmobile Parts, Yamaha ATV Parts, Yamaha Motorcycle Parts, Yamaha Accessories at wholesale prices)

It's tag 2, part number 39P-84735-00-00 SOCKET CORD ASSY $13.08

... and just splice/replace the Motodynamic brakelight cable connector with the $13 one from Yamaha so it fits your OEM connector.

Although, now that Motodynamic is aware of the difference I think they plan to offer a FZ8 specific version.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
You could order the socket cord assembly from one of the OEM distributors:
Yamaha Parts, Yamaha Snowmobile Parts, Yamaha ATV Parts, Yamaha Motorcycle Parts, Yamaha Accessories at wholesale prices)

It's tag 2, part number 39P-84735-00-00 SOCKET CORD ASSY $13.08

... and just splice/replace the Motodynamic brakelight cable connector with the $13 one from Yamaha so it fits your OEM connector.

Although, now that Motodynamic is aware of the difference I think they plan to offer a FZ8 specific version.

Same thing here. I ordered the Motodynamic Smoked LED Tail Light on Monday and received it today. The installation sheet reads FZ1. I suppose I will go ahead and order this part as well.

mano1192

thats the best light Ive seen available so far for the FZ8, would look sweet with my other LED's, might have to scoop this up. Thanks for sharing!