17 tooth Front Sprocket in UK or Europe?

Fazerboy66

Senor, in a nut shell yes, I also wanted to use more of that famous FZ8 mid range grunt, I'm not a speed freak and I'm not into wheeling from the lights, but i do like to carve through traffic when I'm travelling in and around London. I've found dropping a few teeth on the rear has given me more of that creamy mid range, obviously I'm sacrificing some acceleration but that's not a big deal for me.
Having read a few of the gearing threads here on the forum the general consensus seems to be either drop a tooth on the front for acceleration and torque or add one on the front for better fuel consumption and slightly higher top end.

My only issue is I can't seem to find a UK or Euro dealer who stocks a 17?

I wouldn't be surprised if a 17 tooth sprocket from an FZ1 or TDM 900 would fit?

black8

Senor, in a nut shell yes, I also wanted to use more of that famous FZ8 mid range grunt, I'm not a speed freak and I'm not into wheeling from the lights, but i do like to carve through traffic when I'm travelling in and around London. I've found dropping a few teeth on the rear has given me more of that creamy mid range, obviously I'm sacrificing some acceleration but that's not a big deal for me.
Having read a few of the gearing threads here on the forum the general consensus seems to be either drop a tooth on the front for acceleration and torque or add one on the front for better fuel consumption and slightly higher top end.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 17 tooth sprocket from an FZ1 or TDM 900 would fit?

TRY THIS MATE AND HE WILL MAKE WHAT EVER YOU WANT JT Sprockets: Catalogue
AND HE`S LOCAL TO ME, I CAN VOUCH FOR HIS SPROCKETS AND CHEAP

SeñorJack

El Guapo

right on man. well I think you may have it a little off....

dropping any teeth in front REDUCES top end speed.
dropping any teeth in rear INCREASES top end speed.

Its the same as a bicycle with gears, bigger in front=harder to pedal, but faster wheel rotation.

I am not positive about the midrange, but I do know that if you raise a tooth in the front you will feel LESS acceleration at all RPMs. If you raise in the rear you will feel MORE acceleration at all RPMs.

I also enjoy the midrange grunt :) we all do I think! Many folks here pursue this by going down a tooth in the front. adding a tooth will cause less pull in the midrange and higher top speeds in every gear.

This is also why you can find many 15 and 16t sprockets for our bike, but it may be more difficult to 17. lowering your rear tooth count will achieve a similar (or identical based on how tricky you want to get with math) result, AND you will use less links to achieve this, further lowering your rotational weight, and lessening the amount of work the engine has to do, thus increasing your pull!!! by not much at all, but hey every little bit counts right? ;)