1078 Miles...

Tix

So I'm pissed.
I followed the engine break in to the T.
Changed the oil to full synth at 586 miles... always checked every little aspect before each ride...

Last night I go to leave from work. 1st gear is working well through the parking lot. I come to a stop with a very minor downward incline and wait for traffic to clear.

Time to go, power up and slowly let off the clutch. I'm just out into the road and the bike locks up... Hard. I start to go down but I somehow.... pick the damn thing up with inches before pavement.

Rear wheel wont turn, engine is locked. Oil light is on, etc...

Wheel her off to the side of the road and call for help. W T F

The Kicker? Oil level is perfect... I love this bike... but did I get a lemon?

Last edited:

alexk

Weekend Rider
As long as you used a yamaha filter and JASO approved oil, you shouldn't have any difficulty with it being a warranty claim.

Lots of things could be at play here. For diagnosis' sake, I'd start with:

• Can you push the bike in neutral but without the clutch squeezed?
  • Can you push the bike in gear but with the clutch squeezed?
  • Now that it's all cooled down, what happens when you try to start it? (neutral AND clutch squeezed)

Did you happen to see engine temps when it happened?

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Yeah that sounds like a lemon, I rode mine hard since the first 20 min after it warmed up...... Never looked back, I'm at 2200 and still running non synthetic until 3000.

Sorry to hear.
You should def! Have the dealership come pick it up. They have trucks.

97audia4

Yeah that sounds like a lemon, I rode mine hard since the first 20 min after it warmed up...... Never looked back, I'm at 2200 and still running non synthetic until 3000.

Sorry to hear.
You should def! Have the dealership come pick it up. They have trucks.

I have 6k on mine and the right hand as been pinned since its had 5 miles on it:)

Rotaryknight

I dont think the oil is a problem for the bike. I mean for the engine to lock up from oil problems like starvation or not enough oil pressure, the engine would've been locked up atleast 50 miles into the ride. And if it lasted till just now, you would really notice a huge power drop in the bike and noises. If you hold the clutch in and push the bike, then the problem might be on the drivetrain side.

cpatt

the oil light comes off when the bike shuts off. so id bet the oil light was only on because the key was on and the bike wasnt runing.

ssky0078

Where are you at in AZ? I live in Old Town Scottsdale.

I would follow what Alexk said for assessment. It will help differentiate from engine or transmission. The only thing that I've heard that sounds like that is when the bike is being assembled out of the crate that it will have the oil pump not put in correctly. But at 1,000 miles you would think that problem would have already shown itself.

Good luck and we really need to get an AZ rider meetup going on