-1 front & +3 rear

kbrink

Has anyone out there tried a -1 front and +3 rear sprocket setup? I see JT sprockets sells a 49t rear sprocket for our bikes (part #jtr300.49).
I found one on amazon for under $30 usd. and was thinking for that price it might be worth a shot. I'm just not sure if a diff size chain would be needed.

Speedo007

-1 +2 requires longer chain so for -1 +3 you'll need a couple links extra for sure. Really -1 +2 is as far as I'd go unless I wanted a stunt bike that would never see a km on the highway. Trust me mpg drops fast, and on the highway you'll feel like you're missing a gear if you change the ratio that much...

kbrink

Wow, I didn't realize that a few teeth would make that big of a difference. With your setup, how many rpm's are you turning at 95-100 km/h?

Speedo007

I sold the bike to keep my license, but at 120km/h I think it was revving about 1000rpm more. Doesnt sound like much, but when your on it, you do notice quite a difference (sound and torque), its really like if 6th gear is replaced with a 5th gear you dont need to downshift your always above the power dip of 4-5500rpm. You can read the other post on this mod, but my mpg dropped by about 25% with -1 +2...If you only ride in the city and your dad owns an oil company, then Im sure you'll be happy with +3 but if not, I'd limit myself to +2 :)

kbrink

I sold the bike to keep my license, but at 120km/h I think it was revving about 1000rpm more. Doesnt sound like much, but when your on it, you do notice quite a difference (sound and torque), its really like if 6th gear is replaced with a 5th gear you dont need to downshift your always above the power dip of 4-5500rpm. You can read the other post on this mod, but my mpg dropped by about 25% with -1 +2...If you only ride in the city and your dad owns an oil company, then Im sure you'll be happy with +3 but if not, I'd limit myself to +2 :)

Ha ha, thanks for the good advice and for getting back to me quick!!
Are you outa the motorcycle game for now or in the market for a new one?

kbrink

Nice!!! I'm jealous, living in the states we miss out on a lot of sweet nakeds that never make there way over here. :confused: Be safe out there, but Enjoy that Twin POWER :rockon:

Last edited: