1 Down Front Sprocket

D

Deleted member 438

People go with 520 because it's lighter. It might have something to do with unsprung mass, but I'm not 100% sure. 530 will last you longer.

D

DJK1505

just called them and they have no sprockets listed, and no idea if they will have one in the 525 pitch. Lady suggested I convert, she was very helpful in giving me a quote to convert! LOL

DJ

D

DJK1505

Okay understand the weight difference, but do you guys really think there will be enough weight difference to make a noticable difference? I am thinking of doing the 530 conversion with -1 up front and +2 in the rear. I seldom ever go over 100, and thats only for a second or five. What do you guys think I would lose on the top end? I have found a site called Sprocket | Chain | Motorcycles Sprocket | ATV Sprocket
they have a sprocket they will guarantee for life, little expensive; but should be the last sprocket you need to buy. What do you guys think? Gonna be around the same cost as the PCV and autotune. Think I would have a lot more fun with the drive gear change as opposed to the computer. Anyways just rambling, let me know ya'lls thoughts.

Thanks!

DJ

SpunkyTheTuna

The weight difference thing isn't about unsprung weight, it's about rotational mass and inertia. The heavier the chain/sprocket the more resistant it is to changing speed. Lighter sets will allow marginally quicker acceleration cuz there's less mass to accelerate. Real important on the track, almost certainly not noticeable on the street. But you can often get lightweight aluminum (ok, aluminium if yer not US) sprockets in cool colors, so there's that. (LOL-my szpell czecher changes unsprung to unworthy. Interesting idea. Worthy weight and unworthy weight?)

Last edited:
D

DJK1505

Waiting for a quote from Sidewinder. The sprockets are Titanium, and have a life time guarantee. The site says lightest and strongest sprockets. Hopefully I will have a quote today and order this afternoon. As soon as I get a quote I will let you guys know the price and once I have installed I will post pics!!!!!

DJ

djcecil

i push the passenger off the back for quicker accel! i hit another company up for a larger rear (2 teeth) they never got back, i figure when this chain and sprocket get enough abuse there will be part no's up on sites.

hypo

i push the passenger off the back for quicker accel! i hit another company up for a larger rear (2 teeth) they never got back,

i figure when this chain and sprocket get enough abuse there will be part no's up on sites.

+1 on both points. :)

djcecil

still doing work on this, but here is some info to pass along, front sprocket same 98-2012 r1, 01-2011 fz1, and fz8. all i can find is 530 or 520 in those apps, now the r6 uses a 525, so i am guessing these bike's shaft is the same shaft so this is what to shop for to get front sprockets that are already manufactured without an expensive new part number. anyone else that can check gladly appreciated, i plan on getting one and two teeth down once i solve the puzzle sometime in the next few days

H

Hoover

Curious why you are gearing down on the front instead of gearing up on the rear.
I have always been of the thought that a smaller front puts unnecessary strain on the chain by reducing the radius it travels through.

D

Deleted member 438

I'm doing it so that I don't have to replace chain, front and rear sprocket.

djcecil

same here. when rear gets worn will switch to a 520 pitch simply because that is likely what will be the most avail for us to get the full set.

djcecil

61 ft lbs tighten + loctite fyi per service manual
speedo was off 3mph w/ 180/55 tire, 1mph w/ 190/55 now off 5mph w/190/55 tire. this is @30-35 mph.

D

Deleted member 438

My sprocket came in today and I'll be doing the instal this Saturday. What color loctite did you use?

djcecil

i always use the blue, on the bike and on our big trucks at work. to much red creates a problem. seems to be a 30mm socket, i tried 28 and 29 before just using a 1 3/16" for the job. i did not feel like going back a 3rd time to exchange. was a non issue on a large nut. autozone had deep axle 30mm ones for 13bucks would be perfect fit depth wise.

D

DJK1505

Hey, so how do you guys like the sprocket? I ordered mine yesterday. Cant wait to get it!