-1 +2 sprocket setups

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I wanted to pick the brains of the guys that did the -1 +2 sprockets.

What brand are you running, and where was it purchased? like it?

Redline speeds? at least first through third?

Top speed?

Problems? Regrets?

I know there are some other threads on here as well, but I was hoping to get a recent, consolidated, updated report from you guys. I will be doing it myself so if you have any "how to's" and or advice on a good chain tool, let us know!

SeñorJack

El Guapo
thanks, I know there are a few guys on here that have done this. I was hoping maybe they had some suggestions as to where to find the sprockets and which ones they liked.

i'm gonna send in my headlight soon to get retrofitted so I will probably replace my chain and my sprockets while the headlight is off.

That site is pretty freakin thorough though! thanks for the link!

Marthy

thanks, I know there are a few guys on here that have done this. I was hoping maybe they had some suggestions as to where to find the sprockets and which ones they liked.

i'm gonna send in my headlight soon to get retrofitted so I will probably replace my chain and my sprockets while the headlight is off.

That site is pretty freakin thorough though! thanks for the link!

Try SoloMotoParts.com - Motorcycle Parts, Accessories and Gear

This is where I get mine for the 6R. Not quite sure of the FZ8 selection...

Contact Tyler over there, great customer services! Tell him Marthy referred you. I'm a very good customer over there...

Dom83

Speedo007 did that swap last year...don't know if he's still on this forumcuz he sold is 8...but he wastelling me that he had a hell lot more torque and the bike lift up when full throttle...since the 8 is not a speed bike I would do the same as you, more torque for less top speed.

if you do it can you get back with the change in speed...if its too much of a loss...

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I am going to do the conversion.

At this point I was looking for some links as to where to find specific kits or sprockets but like you said, I guess a few of them arent as active these days?

Anyways, I am planning to do this as my first "how to". Then I maybe I can come finish this thread full circle and post speeds, redlines, fuel mileage, and maybe a weak sauce attempt at a 1/4 mile time :)

oh and of course wheelieability. totally a word, and totally important

Glovik

I'm in the same boat wanting to do the conversion, although i'm too n00bish and afraid to do it myself so I'll just be buying the stuff and having my dealer do it lol. I'm doing the airbox mod and throwing an r77d on right before I drop it off to get the sprockets put on, so then they can throw it on the dyno and speedo healer and all that after.

I'm very curious with the same questions though. I think I remember reading topping out at 125-130 right in there, but as people have said, tons more torque and accel. so that'll roughly make you redline 3mph earlier than before (just guessing)

Someone had posted this link before, but I'm not really a fan of the gold rear sprocket. It comes in the standard tooth numbers but says contact them when you buy about different teeth so I'm assuming they will have the -1, +2.

https://www.pureperformancecycles.c...persprox-525-Chain---Sprocket-Kit--10--12-FZ8

I've also seen random sites with the sprockets but idk which to trust. I've read cheaper sprockets get their teeth worn quickly and crap.

Bump for an expert to come school us on where to get the goodies :)

SeñorJack

El Guapo
ya I think supersprox is the way to go. i want a red 48t mmmmm yummy.

does supersprox sell the 15 front sprocket?

Glovik

http://www.supersproxusa.com/

Their site is great and has a lot of different color options and such. Problem is, I couldn't find a 15 tooth front sprocket on the site! They say they do tons of custom orders, so I emailed them about the 15 tooth. Hopefully I'll know Monday :)

SeñorJack

El Guapo
k cool let us know cuz I am ready to order...

I am sure its on here, but does anyone know if any old front sprocket will fit or is it yamaha or fz8 specific

Glovik

Received the E-mail back today. The lady says not only do they not currently make 15 tooth front sprockets for our bikes, even the 16 tooth (their only option) is currently out of stock and "it could be quite a while before we get these back in stock"

Huge bummer :(. I was really excited and set on this brand/set. I'm thinking I'll still buy the rear and chain from them and get some random front :(

Not to be the ignorant ass hole, but this place makes these sprockets themselves. On the website it even has a picture of a machine in its section spouting off it's "customizable orders". Why can't they just... make some sprockets? If they're out of it, and they make it there and have people emailing them about this bike, why wouldn't they say "hey guys, let's run a couple Fz8 fronts, rather than those 35 rear neon greens". Even just the standard 16 that they make already. Maybe they should be less focused on making sure my rear sprockets 5 different colors are stocked in mass, and more time actually having a sprocket to buy. Again, not bitching about not making the 15, but just that they will be out of even the standard for "quite a while".

That rant being said, I'm sure sprockets don't just get pooped out by the hundreds an hour... I guess. And I realize there are 10,000 other bikes they have to make parts for. But I just don't see why they would ever be out for quite a while. It should be like "If we don't have your sprocket in stock, we will have one made in 3-5 days". Or her response should have been "if you'd be interested in a standard 16, I can look into having one made for you soon". It's not like each bikes sprockets are made out of different rare crystals that their miners on the moon have been on a shortage of. Put in my goddamn mold and poop me out a Front sprocket! - again, I realize they probably do whole days committed to making certain things and don't just a whim stop the bus to make one random sprocket. But why not? Lol.

Sorry for the rant that should probably be going in their e-mail rather than here. I just know I'm a fool and don't want to be one to them rofl.

Last edited:

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Well shoot, how About I email them and ask? so many people here swear by supersprox. maybe two emails in a week will get the ball rolling? probably not. if they are not cool about it I will make it a point to email them about which sprockets I did buy haha

thanks for the help man!!!!

DLSGAP

http://www.supersproxusa.com/

Their site is great and has a lot of different color options and such. Problem is, I couldn't find a 15 tooth front sprocket on the site! They say they do tons of custom orders, so I emailed them about the 15 tooth. Hopefully I'll know Monday :)

+1 on supersprox... The stealth trimetal is the ONLY aftermarket rear sprocket I'll buy

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Soooooo I called supersprox.

Heres the word- they machine some of their aluminum rear sprockets in house if need be, but most of their stuff comes from a producer in europe.

No more runs of 15t fronts.

No word on when the 16t will be in, they said they are behind.

The reason is that the spline system is unique to the fz8 (can this be confirmed by anyone else) so no fz6 or fz1 parts can be used in lieu of our fz8 specific front sprockets.

So what else is out there? I will continue my search but I think I will order all three components (rear sprocket, chain, front sprocket) from different suppliers. The rear sprocket will still probably come from supersprox.

Glovik

Pro tek has front spockets 15-17t 581-15 is the part number

Have you tried the pro teks before? Wondering on how good they are.

I feel dumb for not remember that you can get a 15 tooth front from the Yamaha site lol.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/a...ail/5/535/2221/20974/all/1/9512/0/detail.aspx

GYTR brand and only $32.50. Its straight from the site... So it cant be that bad lol.

I'll definitely be ordering the front 15 GYTR from Yamaha and then a new chain and rear sprocket from supersprox. Hopefully I'll get this done within the month and can post a solid review.

RD GUY

-1+2 sprocket setups

I got mine at blue streak racing ,front afam #21607-15,rear vortex#641czk-48 in black don't forget u will need a new chain.hope this helps u out