Steering Stabilizers.

Crazywb23

This is the next upgrade I'm looking to make, is anyone using a stab. setup? And if so how is it set-up. I know they do not make one for our bikes, so its goin to be a little R&D. Thanks and happy riding

Speedo007

Honestly I can't see why this would be required on our bikes, unless you're planning on setting up your bike for track use. This is mostly required on supersports that have very aggressive rake angles and tons of power (so the front wheel tends to act like the wheels on a shopping cart). I push my Fz8 pretty hard and have never experienced wobbling...

Not saying it will cause you problems, just think that it's really overkill on an FZ8 ment for street riding and I'd rather spend money where I can really make a difference. In this case I dont think it improves looks or solves a real performance issue. My 2 cents :)

Last edited:

mikefz8

I would agree with Speedo...I have taken my 8 to the very fastest it will go (stock) and it felt like I was traveling highway speeds--albeit the cars I passed were traveling in reverse (optical illusion) or so it felt. BUT if you are already modded out, WHY not IMO. Good luck

C

calscrazy

some country roads you would need it. it will help with those mid-corner bumps at high speed. it will help the back end of the bike keep from being upset by keeping the fornt end stabile

Last edited by a moderator:

kurtmorauer

yamaha has one in the catalog. i think gpr makes it. it was an option when i bought the bike. check your local bike shop. they should have it in one of their books.

H

Hoover

I have been thinking about this. I put one on my Bandit 12, and my TL had one from stock. I do like them.
The Ohlins one I put on my 12 I ran from the headstock to a mounting bolt on the left side of the frame. It did make a big difference on high power launches. Buuut, that bike had a shit load more power. Not so sure if I put one on the 8, it wouldn't make much difference, but it would look cool :cool:

FZ1inNH

Administrator
One advantage of having this installed is that you can drop the triples on the forks several MM to make the bike fall into corners more effortlessly. Without the stabilizer, if you lift the front headed out of the turn and settle the bike with the front wheel even slightly out of line, you can cause a tank slapper. I don't think there's a lot of worry with the stock setup but changing the dynamics, yes, you'll love having one installed.

I have the GPR on my FZ1. I am up 1" in the rear and down 6mm in the front. The bike WANTS to corner all the time. :D It sure makes up for the cornering loss of the 190 rear tire.

Last edited:
D

DJK1505

There are some descent universal dampers out there that you could mount to the fork and frame. I have been looking into this, I have had a small vibration a few times when I was playing pretty hard. Nothing to make me worry too much, but if I could do a universal damper for about 100 bucks or so, I would do it! Ohlins has one that I have seen for about 200 bucks. when I was looking at my bike this last week, looks like on the left side you can take that gay plastic radiator scoop thing off, mount the frame side there, and then run it to your fork and use the fork mount and your good. Ohlins set up will prob run about 250, I think there are a few other brands that are not as nice as Ohlins for around 100, but still are 7-12 position adjustment, might try that after the fork valve upgrade!!!!!

DJ

Arellialloy

I just did the -1/+2 sprocket mod. NOW a steering damper could be justified. :)

Where did you get your sprockets for -1/+2 setup??? I've been searching for MONTHS and made a million phone calls. I found a few fronts but noone so far is making the rears. At least not in the stock 525 pitch. ADVICE???

Getting back to the original post, TOBY makes a no modification bolton with 19 adjust positions. Priced on the high side at just under $500. Can be found at this link (ebay), also found on Amazon.
Yamaha FZ8 Fazer 8 10 13 Toby Steering Damper Mount Kit 3 Color Options | eBay