Installed SS brake lines

D

Deleted member 438

Hey guys, I just got done installing some SS brake lines from a EU company called Cobra Performance Brake Lines. The fitment is probably the best I've seen of any brake line kit I've installed so far as all the banjos were perfectly aligned, and best of all, I only paid $99 USD shipped.
Here's the link:
Cobra Performance Brake Lines

D

Deleted member 438

mano1192

how does the brake feel now that you've done this mod. Is the mush delay in teh brake line gone? I used to replace the lines on my dirtbike along with the levers and caliper and get much better braking performance.

D

Deleted member 438

feel

how does the brake feel now that you've done this mod. Is the mush delay in teh brake line gone? I used to replace the lines on my dirtbike along with the levers and caliper and get much better braking performance.

The brakes feel tighter and the lever is solid when you're full on the brakes. In my opinion, this is a must for any motorcycle.

SpunkyTheTuna

Just to kick this thread back from the dead, I installed some Fren Tubo lines from PJ PJ's Parts - Accessories For Every Bike And Rider and what a HUGE difference it makes in braking feel. I felt from the beginning that the bike's brakes were lacking. Spongy feel, not really up to the standard I'd expected. Changing out the brake lines (front and rear) made all the difference. After changing the lines and using a high quality silicon brake fluid the brakes are transformed. No more much in the controls. When I squeeze two finger fulls of brake I get a firm, consistent feel with lots of feedback and the bike stops right freaking now.

Not a particularly flashy mod and nobody's going to be hanging on your elbow at the local watering hole in amazement at your hot zoot brake lines. Women, or men for that matter, won't be hurling themselves at your feet, swooning with unrequited lust at the glory of those tubey things hanging out of your calipers. But by Zeus you'll have a bike that'll stop like it was supposed to and that will give you consistent feel and fine control like it should have had from the factory.

H

Hoover

I replaced mine yesterday with Goodridge black lines. I stayed with premium dot 4 fluid. What a he-uge difference.
I did however leave off the guides on the front fenders as I wanted the lines to follow a smooth curve.
Also, when you pull off the old lines, you have room to fit piaa's compact sport horn up where the splitter block was. I'll post some pics later.

mano1192

I got my fren turbos in this week, cant wait to have them installed next week! I got the 1/2 kevlar 1/2 carbon lines. Im looking forward to much better stopping power, can never be too safe on these crazy vegas roads!

mano1192

how did you guys get connect to the Y? The Fren Turbo kit i got has banjos on both ends, not sure how it would connect to the stock Y as the bottom 2 lines going to the cylinders are welded on looks like. Any ideas? My yama dealer said they couldnt be installed... wonder if I got the wrong kit...

H

Hoover

how did you guys get connect to the Y? The Fren Turbo kit i got has banjos on both ends, not sure how it would connect to the stock Y as the bottom 2 lines going to the cylinders are welded on looks like. Any ideas? My yama dealer said they couldnt be installed... wonder if I got the wrong kit...

I'm not sure what you mean. Most aftermarket kits get rid of the spliter and use 2 lines with a double hole banjo from the master.
I will take some pics tomorow and post them to help you out.

D

Deleted member 438

The kit should run two separate lines from the master cylinder to the calipers. Show me a picture of what you have.

SpunkyTheTuna

The kit should run two separate lines from the master cylinder to the calipers. Show me a picture of what you have.

Yeh, what the Doc said. Your front lines should be long enough to run from the calipers all the way up to the master cylinder. The y-junction is eliminated.

mano1192

thanks guys, PJ's parts actually talked to the dealer for me and they explained the same thing to them. Looks like Ill be getting my lines installed over the next couple days!

SpunkyTheTuna

Ya gotta love PJ. He's the first one I go to when I'm looking for parts. Great guy, great service, all around just a stand up guy.

D

Deleted member 438

It sounds like your dealer's techs are incompitent.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hoover

Not a chance in H E double hockey sticks would I have the dealer install any aftermarket parts on my bike. Especially brake lines. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, find an independent bike shop.

If you want to tackle it yourself, its not that difficult and there are plenty of people on here that would be happy to walk you through it.

I did mine last week and it only took me an hour to do all 3.

PM me if you wish and I'll give you my phone number and I'll help you out.

H

Hoover

Here ya go.
Front ones were installed without the guides so as to allow them to follow a more natural flow. Notice that by removing the splitter, it leaves room for the piaa sports horn to be installed on the stud the splitter was on.
I left the rear in the guide to keep it out of the way.

D

Deleted member 438

Hey Hoover, where did you get that horn? How is it compared to the stock horn?

H

Hoover

Hey Hoover, where did you get that horn? How is it compared to the stock horn?

It is a piaa compact sports horn. Most warehouse stores have them, I had my local guy order it for me as he gives me a discount.

It is lot louder than stock, not in a shrill way, quite a deep sound. Good choice in my book.

rysyndrome

Here ya go.
Front ones were installed without the guides so as to allow them to follow a more natural flow. Notice that by removing the splitter, it leaves room for the piaa sports horn to be installed on the stud the splitter was on.
I left the rear in the guide to keep it out of the way.

Hoover, the Goodridge lines you bought, are they any longer than the stock ones? I need longer lines for new handlebar install and really like the Goodridge Shadow brake line set. Is that the set you have? Thanks