Write up on usb/female cigarette charge point?

BigD

Hey

Probably a write up somewhere but im buggered if i can find it... anyone got pics or a write up on where/how they installed theirs?

cheers

OdinSon

First off you'll need a power connection, something like this should work fine although you might need one with longer wires: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404181614&sr=8-3&keywords=sae+battery+power"]Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug: Automotive[/ame]

Then you can get an adapter, if you're looking for a 12v auto plug (cigarette lighter outlet) they make those but if you're just looking for a usb connection for powering a phone or something they make those too. This is the one I have, works great and is cheap: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Charger/dp/B00DJ5KEF4/ref=pd_sim_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=140W25RHVF4N52H3FF1K"]Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0158 Black Quick Disconnect Plug with USB Charger: Automotive[/ame]

You connect the first item to the battery then route it to wherever you want it to go (mine goes to the handlebars) then plug in your adapter. Piece of cake.

Sinooch

I made a usb connection out of an existing usb cigarette lighter plug. I soldered two wires for positive and negative and put a switch on it and connected directly to the battery. I only did it cuz I got tired of my phone dieing on my when I went riding. I might eventually buy the universal plug and put that on with a usb connection cuz in the winter time I would like to leave my bike battery on the battery tender. just been too lazy to go get it. but I ran mine underneath my back seat. I figured the last thing I needed was to get distracted by my phone while riding.

OdinSon

I use my android phone as a GPS . I open google maps and use the map to sometimes navigate but usually I just lock onto my position and use the map so I have a rough idea where I'm at and what's coming up ahead. Another useful thing about doing that is when you're going down a road you're not too familiar with you can see sharp turns in advance.

I bought a 5$ USB and cig. combo at Walmart with an inline fuse and a $2 switch at RadioShack. Mounting and switch position is shown in the picture. just drilled small holes on the front seat mount and used some low profile bolts to avoid rubbing with the plastic. The switch fit perfectly on the right side and none of this had an effect on the storage area. I can still fit the tool bag, charging phone and a wallet or so.

BigD

Thanks for the replies :)
Ordered this for £12 delivered in the end and will mount it up front neatly out the way somewhere.
Dual waterproof usb and 2A charging power so fast charge on the go with sat nav/Googlemaps when required and direct to battery, although I will have to install a switch somewhere to prevent battery drain as it doesn't appear to have one.

Last edited:

BigD

I bought a 5$ USB and cig. combo at Walmart with an inline fuse and a $2 switch at RadioShack. Mounting and switch position is shown in the picture. just drilled small holes on the front seat mount and used some low profile bolts to avoid rubbing with the plastic. The switch fit perfectly on the right side and none of this had an effect on the storage area. I can still fit the tool bag, charging phone and a wallet or so.

Like this install, like it a lot and very neat/tidy indeed! Good effort, maybe something for me at a later date for sure :)

Last edited: