Why does nobody compare the FZ8 with a GSX S750?

jaydaman17

Hello all,
I am looking into getting a FZ8. I am looking at one tomorrow. One thing I have noticed upon doing research over the last week is that the only bike the GSX S750 is compared to is the FZ09. I keep thinking to myself, why is the FZ8 not the direct competitor to the GSX S750?

Both the FZ8 and GSX S750 have 4 cylinders, weigh the same, look very similar, and are close in horsepower.

The FZ09 has quite a bigger engine than the 750 and is only 3 cylinders. Plus the body/frame type is quite different than the GSX S750 where as the FZ8 is quite identical.

Thanks all,

Justin

4x15mph

Hello all,
I am looking into getting a FZ8. I am looking at one tomorrow. One thing I have noticed upon doing research over the last week is that the only bike the GSX S750 is compared to is the FZ09. I keep thinking to myself, why is the FZ8 not the direct competitor to the GSX S750?

Both the FZ8 and GSX S750 have 4 cylinders, weigh the same, look very similar, and are close in horsepower.

The FZ09 has quite a bigger engine than the 750 and is only 3 cylinders. Plus the body/frame type is quite different than the GSX S750 where as the FZ8 is quite identical.

Thanks all,

Justin

It could be because the GSX S750 has some advanced features like riding modes like the FZ-09. The GSX also has traction control unlike the FZ09. I bet the GSX is also tuned similar to the FZ-09 which runs much more aggressively than the FZ8. It would depend on what you are looking for

Bagman

I can't help but think the FZ8 is a forgotten bike. It was succeeded by the very popular and good Fz 07/09/10 products. That's not to say the Fz8 is a poor bike.

Cyclone85

I agree on the 'forgotten bike' as it relates to the FZ8. The engine/gearbox combo was excellent, and the frame made the bike *very* stable at speed and during aggressive riding. Dead reliable, well made, easy to maintain, and great styling in my opinion. There's a number of factors (I think) that led to it being somewhat of a sales failure. Just my opinion of course...

1. Awkward release date, i.e., 2011(ish) where it was kind of a tweener with no advanced technology on board. For example, no ABS, no traction control, and no assister & slipper clutch. (I didn't really like the clutch on the FZ8 to be frank)

2. I think it was slightly porky -- I'd like to see at least 25 to 30 lbs removed.

3. 20/20 hindsight - I would've taken it upscale a bit with a nicer exhaust, upgraded suspension, and slightly better brakes.

4. Cross-plane engine anyone?

5. Maybe it was slightly ahead of its time? Naked bikes are selling strongly in my area today.....but they have gone through some incredible sales declines over the years too.

6. Fueling was a little lurchy in these machines, and I had to correct it with a Guhls reflash. You really shouldn't have to do that with a modern motorcycle in my opinion.

Again -- these are my opinions. I (personally) think the styling on the FZ8 is superior to the current Yamaha line-up. The newer Yamahas are a little too Borg-like and I would love to see a take 2 on a new FZ8.

I can't help but think the FZ8 is a forgotten bike. It was succeeded by the very popular and good Fz 07/09/10 products. That's not to say the Fz8 is a poor bike.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

Last edited: