Who else is avoiding RoT Rally?

alexk

Weekend Rider
I've seen a few Republic of Texas Biker Rallies, and truth be told it's probably the worst thing I've seen about Austin.

So many roving packs of flipflop-shorts-and-wifebeater wearing idiots, riding three-abreast in lane, each with a different CD blaring...

Anyone up for a counter-ride through the country a different weekend? Say something like Round Rock to Lockhart?

This one's 90 minute ride, clockwise around Austin starting somewhere around the Dell Diamond, looping east through Hutto (aggressive red-light cameras on this stretch), then south through Norman's and Rice's Crossing (past the state's largest repository of bull semen), then south through Coupland, south through old town Elgin, into the outskirts of Bastrop, then Southwest through Red Rock and into Lockhart for some of the state's best BBQ.

Lockhart is famous for its barbecue (home to Black's, Chisholm Trail, Smitty's and Kreuz's), but it's old town square is absolutely gorgeous.

The roads I've chosen are all well paved, though the straight section south of Elgin (lots of hills, but no real curves... still a very enjoyable road) has some construction going on. The curvier roads in the area risk being gravel, dirt, or a mix, so if you'd like something less direct I can go recon.