Wheelies!

lothodon

Super Moderator
here's the only tip i ever need when i'm in the wheelie'in mood.

watch a youtube video of a wheelie gone wrong and think about kissing your bike goodbye. takes the desire right out of me.

trixster8

here's the only tip i ever need when i'm in the wheelie'in mood.

watch a youtube video of a wheelie gone wrong and think about kissing your bike goodbye. takes the desire right out of me.

YES! I agree! It's not worth it. I'm not gonna attempt a stunt on my brand new bike.

I save my wheelie mood for my quad, much safer.

lothodon

Super Moderator
00007 i hope you didn't take my post as an insult, i did not intend that at all. just trying to add my two cents as to why I choose not to, you of course are welcome to if you so desire.

my r1 would lift if i did the hard throttle, quick release and really hard throttle but i only did the little one foot off the ground type a few times. i'm betting the fz would do the same provided with enough rpm's. i've never done the clutch wheelies or attempt them as it eats your clutch discs and it's much easier to have them get away from you...as youtube has proven.

if you do end up with success i'd still be interested in how, clutch or power.

mano1192

Wheelies are very easy, but your body position needs to be correct. This is my first streetbike, but I've been riding dirt for over 20 years and can pull whelies easy there. Around my 3rd week on street I go tthe urge and while keeping my 3rd gear around 6k doing roughly 60-70 pop clutch just quickly and lean forward at the same time. Your front tire comes up quickly.

Just make sure your leaning forward and you have speed. If you try to be cute and doa whelie at like 10 miles and hour in 1st gear, you need great clutch control and should only be attempted by very experienced riders. This si where youtube shows idiots kissing their bikes goodbye.

Listen, if you really want to practice and have fun stunting, go by a $1000 dollar junky 250 ninja and play with that. You will also find that most stunt bikes have the rear brake moved to teh clutch hand. It can be alot of fun when done safetly, but dont try it on your new fz unlessyou just want a 1 footer doing at least 40mph, the lower the speed the harder it is to control.

my 2$

haha no lothodon not at all!!

i was just seeing if their where people out there that could do them and if they have any advice for people that want to learn but in no way was i insulted !

i myself dont have the greatest balance so i keep my two wheels on the ground for the most part the odd time i will let it rev real high kill the throttle and hammer on it to get the front end up but thats about it!

Hereward

Went for a ride last night out and about some of the country lanes, came across a elderly couple in a metro (old 1 liter UK car) the guy was driving along at 25mph in a 60mph area.......respledant in his hat. So straight road in front, no cars behind no cars ahead, indicated pulled out to overtake then did something a bit stupid........For some unknown reason I thought subconsiously I needed a lower gear to pass this car......so droped a cog and just mashed the throtle open........again I have no idea why, maybe it's a fear of old people in cars wearing hats.
Well as I passed him the front just started to gently come up smooth as you like then back down again just as smoothly, nothing huge only about 6 or 7 inches at around 40-50 mph..........wasn't the plan and I had to check my mirrors I hadn't scared the poor guy into a ditch LOL Not my usual style of riding at all, and now I'm aware of what 7000rpm power band will do in 2nd I'll avoid it as I like my fork seals the way they are!

So the point to this post? we'll from personal experience the bike will wheelie simply on the throtle alone, or it may need an old guy in a hat in an old car going very slowly to do it........;)

Last edited:

FZ8Grid

just started to gently come up smooth as you like then back down again just as smoothly, nothing huge only about 6 or 7 inches at around 40-50 mph.... and now I'm aware of what 7000rpm power band will do in 2nd I'll avoid it as I like my fork seals the way they are!

I can 2nd that notion. hard throttle at 7-8 will jump the bike up. It happened to me when speeding away from the bike in my reminder. Nothing huge just enough that the front end lifted. Pushing it harder and higher rpm i could easily see it lifting even more.

Also ill 2nd lothodon first post. Last thing i want to do is lose my bike/investment. I can show off on 2 wheeles lol

fazetastic

It's refreshing to hear you all talk about wheelies as something that isn't 'the coolest thing in the world to do'. I think to often younger (16-18) buy sport bikes with full intentions of wanting to do the amazing 100mph wheelie.

I've been riding since I was 5 and I really don't have a desire to stand on one wheel with my street bike. I don't feel like thrashing my clutch and the forks as I come back down( on slower wheelies).

I'm more into fast corners and top speeds. I'll leave the wheelies for the dirt.

BTW- new to the forum. Just got a 2012 FZ8. Love it!

lyric911

My interest in wheelies begins and ends with not wanting to be surprised with one and not know how to react some day. Thus, I want to learn. But as a safety measure.

D

DJK1505

-1 +2 sprockets!!!!!!!

I have the -1 right now and the wheel comes up pretty easy. Especially after I did my quick turn throttle mod. I don't really like one wheeling it, but every now and then its fun. Usually when I am coming over a hill I will keep the throttle open for an extra second or two, once I crest the hill the wheel will stay up for most of the down side of the hill. Like my bike too much to lay her down. Thank god I have a few other bikes to practice on. Have fun practicing, but remember its an 8K mistake when something goes wrong! Grab a cheap dirt bike or old crappy zx6, cbr, gsxr, zr, whatever; throw a sprocket on it and play away! LOL

DJ

Petercwelch

Wheelie?

Few yrs. ago my son wanted to learn "safely" how to do one on his R1. Took a course offered by some outfit at Orange Co. Airport in NY. next day a young woman was killed there at the course trying to learn. I love my 2011 FZ8 but at 70 (yrs) will not try it. I do love the bike though. Traded in my FJR for it.

Petercwelch

Goin fast

Still at 70 I like to go fast. I find the FZ8 stock is plenty of bike for me. I had the FJR foR five years and liked it but too big and heavy. FZ 8 is perfect and I believe stock it handles just fine. Mirrors are not good though. Can leeann it far enough in the twisties to satisfy and when it gets to 1000 miles look forward to really opening it up.

Jbomb

Haha speaking of wheelies....
I was on my way to work the other day through town and had a lot on my mind... heading up a slight incline i put it up to about 8-9k rpms and clutched to shift... didnt shift, let the clutch out and hammered on it. i was pretty much vertical and about to fly off the back when instinct kicked in and rolled off the throttle lightly enough to let myself and my bike live through it. Scared the S#!t outta me honestly! I pick up the front wheel a few inches out of boredom every now and then and it seems like it'd take work to really get it up... it DOESN'T!

b-eock

I know everyone is against doing wheelies here because the bike is expensive. And being 17 and paying for the bike and the insurance is a quite a bit. I do wheelies all the time. The best one I have ever done I was at ~ an 11 o'clock degree and rode it out to about 70 MPH then I run outta RPM and have to shift. Working on holding it through shift so I can have more control. I enjoy them. They are really thrilly. :p But yeah it will power wheelie too. When there is a slight dip then incline in the road especially, looks just like a regular wheelie when I wanna ride them out.

H

Hoover

I know everyone is against doing wheelies here because the bike is expensive. And being 17 and paying for the bike and the insurance is a quite a bit. I do wheelies all the time. The best one I have ever done I was at ~ an 11 o'clock degree and rode it out to about 70 MPH then I run outta RPM and have to shift. Working on holding it through shift so I can have more control. I enjoy them. They are really thrilly. :p But yeah it will power wheelie too. When there is a slight dip then incline in the road especially, looks just like a regular wheelie when I wanna ride them out.

Um, I think most on this forum are not into wheelies anymore is not because the bike is "expensive". Because they are not.
I just think that most FZ8 owners are in the above 30 age group and have lived through the whole "wheelies on the street are cool" phase.

Dont get me wrong, I have done my fair share of "acting like a douche" on public highways, and occasionally still do. Its just that most of us on here did not buy this bike to reduce front tire wear.

It is your bike, your life and if you want to ride around on the back wheel all day long, knock yourself out. I love seeing a good one hoisted.

Oh, one more thing. Not so sure you have "full control" on the back wheel at 70! Especially when a cage wants to ruin your day.

Stay safe grasshopper :fiddy:

ssky0078

She's hot and she can ride like a boss

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfYqPKR0hog]How to do an Idle Wheelie on a Motorcycle - YouTube[/ame]

These guys are pretty good as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HKpXBHIXkk]Stunter Sessions- How to Wheelie part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X85DKaRrtkM]Stunter Sessions- How to Wheelie part 2 - YouTube[/ame]