WHEELIE TIPS?

b-eock

I can't even do a second gear sit down. So I can't help you there. First gear, I suggest going about 30 MPH, pull in the clutch, rev up to about 10K RPM and slip the clutch. Keep your rear brake covered. I don't wanna feel even worse if something happens to someone. I take no responsibility for injuries if they occur

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

RoadKill

i like to wheelie but not on sportbikes. enduro/motocross bikes are great for that and you can do that off road.

Rotaryknight

So this past week I have been trying to wheelie. Easiest method for a noob to get a feel of a wheelie just for a moment seems to be using the abrubt throttle method. In 1st gear, cruise at 20-30mph, shut throttle off and a split second later full throttle it. Front will pick up atleast a foot or so. Its an easy way to see how you will respond to the front wheel lifting. If you arent panicing from that, then its on to the next step which is using the clutch. Cruise in 1st gear around 20-30 mph and clutch in and then out very fast, when you clutch out you will need to atleast give half throttle. Front will pick up very quick so only give throttle for half a second and let go to get the feel of it. After a couple of tries if you are confident enough, you can give it more gas to go higher and higher. After that you can try and keep it high and giving it a steady throttle to wheelie down the road.

Longest I did so far was 4 car lengths and about a 45 degree angle. Still need to work on the steady throttle.
Using the clutch to wheelie will be so much easier if you adjust the clutch engagement point higher to where you can pull the clutch level with just your pointing finger to disengage and engage. Also, do not keep your arm stiff while wheeling. When you come down you may inadvertently turn the wheel too much.

When you get better you can feather the clutch and throttle to precise adjustment. I just started so I am not to that level of control yet but.....its so damn good to wheelie :D

Last edited:

ausfz8

Managed to get out with some mates yesterday on a nice Sunny day down here in South Australia. I have just gone up to a 49 tooth rear on my 2013 FZ8 and by god I am loving it. I was doing the method up above cruising in 1st doing 6000ish rpm then quickly shut the throttle off and then snap it back on and the front wheel came up fairly easily. best one I managed was when I revved it up to 8500rpm and that front wheel came right up to where the dash was just under my eye level.
Such an awesome feeling. once you do a couple and let that adrenalin pump through you, you're Hooked!

Marthy

Go give a FZ-09 a test ride. It wheely in 1st and 2nd as much as you want just by twisting the throttle... completely effortless. 3rd gear you need to get atnit a bit more aggressively but it will still go up! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ausfz8

Yeah I have heard they are a fun bike. im not sold on the look of it though.
I rode a mates KTM 525EXC yesterday and that would go up in 2nd easily rolling on the throttle.
Getting the FZ8 up in my opinion is a much more enjoyable achievment and looks a lot cooler too.

Marthy

Yeah I have heard they are a fun bike. im not sold on the look of it though.
I rode a mates KTM 525EXC yesterday and that would go up in 2nd easily rolling on the throttle.
Getting the FZ8 up in my opinion is a much more enjoyable achievment and looks a lot cooler too.

The FZ-09 is like that girl back in college you were calling at 3:00am after a couple of drinks. Wasn't the prettiest one, but a hell of a ride! :D

ausfz8

The FZ-09 is like that girl back in college you were calling at 3:00am after a couple of drinks. Wasn't the prettiest one, but a hell of a ride! :D

That is one hell of a way to put it. so basically your saying if you just test ride one with your Helmet on you are fine but dont get caught being seen with it in public? lol

tennvol11

Well stirring the pot was definately not my intention at all. I am not on here to do that. I am on here to get great tech and mod info and hopefully meet riders who are in my area who love FZ-8's and not cause trouble by any means.
I an effort to appease the sensitive I removed the post so as to not offend or anger anyone else. I'm also not trying to achieve respect from anyone on here, I respect myself enough and that's all the respect I need. If this was a problem I wish you would have PM'd me first to let me know your displeasure and I would have happily removed anything that touched a nerve with any member. I was sharing a personal story and I'm sorry it touched a nerve. I assure everyone it won't happen again and I sorry to anyone who I angered, I took the post down. Lets move on, life is too short.:confused:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Well stirring the pot was definately not my intention at all. I am not on here to do that. I am on here to get great tech and mod info and hopefully meet riders who are in my area who love FZ-8's and not cause trouble by any means.
I an effort to appease the sensitive I removed the post so as to not offend or anger anyone else. I'm also not trying to achieve respect from anyone on here, I respect myself enough and that's all the respect I need. If this was a problem I wish you would have PM'd me first to let me know your displeasure and I would have happily removed anything that touched a nerve with any member. I was sharing a personal story and I'm sorry it touched a nerve. I assure everyone it won't happen again and I sorry to anyone who I angered, I took the post down. Lets move on, life is too short.:confused:

Sorry everyone, my response was quick and not thought out, I'm still learning forum manners and I typed faster than I could think about my response. I was too sensitive and acted like an a$$, so I apologize.
anyways, I like "let's move on, life is too short" I agree.

Bajaedition

I know this can get a bit out of hand as everyone has their own opinion on this

but I think we all can agree that it is going to happen and no matter what you think the general public is not going to think kindly of us when they see it happening, they may even want to write laws against bikes

ok ok rant over

I learned to wheelie on dirt bikes and have found that the torqueier the bike the more it likes to wheelie at low rpms
I think the secret is to be in the deep part of the torque curve to get best results
My ZZR wheelies so easy it has spoiled me, but that bike is 600 plus pounds

the FZ8 frustrated me at first, I wanted the same low end responce I had gotten from my ZZR over the last decade.
OK I admit I have done a few, er, few dozen wheelies on my FZ8. Yes even me Mr Safety. It is fun after all to be standing up on the pegs with the front tire a few feet in the air.

BUT, we really need to consider who is around, our reputation is a huge part of our future.

OK carry on

pigdog

baha, whats a wheelie? i had to walk my bicycle home 4mi with a flat front tire. it was easier to lift the front wheel. does this count as a 4mi wheelie? i don't do wheelies because i don't know how. also i don't like replacing fork seals & clutch plates. looks like fun though.

b-eock

baha, whats a wheelie? i had to walk my bicycle home 4mi with a flat front tire. it was easier to lift the front wheel. does this count as a 4mi wheelie? i don't do wheelies because i don't know how. also i don't like replacing fork seals & clutch plates. looks like fun though.

I wanna say something... Its harder on the clutch lugging a bike then it is clutching up a wheelie. Hell, I didn't even have to clutch second or third gear staggered wheelies up. I would power them up sometimes just for fun. And I never had to replace a fork seal, as long as you keep accelerating as you're going down, you should be good. I did replace my steering bearing at about 4K miles. But I hit ~11K and it was still fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Marthy

Meet with Yamahahammer yesterday for a quick ride & meet in Fort Lauderdale. We didn't have time to swap ride, maybe next time. Well, you can ask him how easy the 09 wheelie. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

YamaHammer

It wheelies very easy, and stays put during red lights easier than my bike! The bike has a mind of its' own, right Marthy?

Riding or wishing I was riding.

Justinbrits

It's a bummer so many people are telling you not to wheelie, in a thread called how to wheelie. thats like starting a thread about how to take turns better, but getting mostly responses telling you that speeding is dangerous. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but plenty of motorcycle riders die, not riding wheelies. or speeding. I understand some people want to ride with limited risk, but you can't limit the risk. because you are being propelled through time and space on some tiny little balloons. You could argue that it is just as irresponsible to EVER lean hard during a blind corner. I think we should start a thread called "why you shouldnt wheelie". :2cents: anyways that being said...

Second gear clutch ups with stock everything does just fine. take her from about 4-5.5k, rev it up pretty much all the way, throw your weight back as you drop the clutch, and ride the rear brake as she lifts, cuz it happens fast. Just my two cents. and other than dirtbikes, I learned how on my fz8. which happens to also be covered in case of a flip.

That ^ is how I wheelie.

edit: thread is called wheelie tips. telling someone not to wheelie could be a wheelie tip I guess

Great minds think

subxero

I generally tell people to try and find someone with a small cc 4stroke dirtbike to just get the basics of the balance down.

these bikes are small, much lighter, and a lot less likely to go crazy in a flash.

something like a klx 125 is great for learning wheelies, 2nd gear, slow roll, pull in clutch, deep rev, pop clutch and it will come right up as long as you are on a harder pack surface.

If you wreck it, it is no big deal and generally won't cost you much if anything, those bikes are tanks + you are less likely to get hurt as well.

Once you learn how to balance the bike the rest is easy, balance from a small bike to a big bike is similar because the balance and control is up to you, sure one bike might be a little more sensitive than another but you are still in control.

The thought of learning to wheelie on a 400lb + street bike with some decent HP just asks for damaging your bike. JMO

You could buy a cheap dirtbike for $1k or less to learn on, sell it when done or keep it for fun, they are a blast. That 1k will probably come close to covering any damages you would have most likely done to you or your FZ8 while learning