WHEELIE TIPS?

SeñorJack

El Guapo
@frogger- im just a chicken for power wheelies. i feel safer clutching. but it looks like you got them down solid so to each his own :)

as far as stand up wheelies i just stand on my rearsets. i have no passenger pegs. my wife still lives in mexico right now, so I took them off as an excuse to not take anyone for rides :)

my tires looked like cambo's (well, maybe not 2.5 inches) when i started trying power wheelies. i just wish i had the stones to go straight to clutch wheelies. in hindsight clutch wheelies are a little scarier to try at first, but much safer and controlled. just my opinion as someone who has learned recently. not claiming to be a wheelie king, just trying to get there :D

frogger

I to only do clutch wheelies , I learnt a few years ago when I had an 05 R6 with the front forks set really high when I bought it. every time I took off from the lights abit fast the front would come up.

I then started playing with clutching second gear and I locked my arms which threw me back and I grabbed the throttle to try hold on and looped it at 130kph without a riding jacket on. learnt my lesson there and completely destroyed an awesome bike.

the fz8 being such a heavy bike I find clutches up really smoothly. I just want to be able to clutch up in second like I do in first so I can have freedom to wheelie anywhere like my friend does on his zx9r.

if you really want to learn find someone that can wheelie really well and isn't a jock type of person and understands you really don't want to break your bike. they will be able to listen and watch you and give you advise rather then just telling u to dumb the clutch and grow a pair. :p

DLSGAP

I do both power and clutch wheelies... Clutches are a bit smoother and power wheelies are usually just when accelerating hard away from a curve or something... Either way, my fiancé jumps my shit if she's ever within visual range of it

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

b-eock

I got my first ticket last night... Didn't even mean to pull the wheelie up, but I did ride it out :p

I didn't even mean to do that wheelie that they pulled me over for. I was slowing down at a red light. Well when the light turned green, I gave it a little too much gas and was in the power band of my bike and it came up and they were too close to me. I've ran from them before, when they weren't close enough to get a plate, but they were right on my tail... so I pulled over... they would have to just mailed me my ticket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
if you really want to learn find someone that can wheelie really well and isn't a jock type of person and understands you really don't want to break your bike. they will be able to listen and watch you and give you advise rather then just telling u to dumb the clutch and grow a pair. :p

Dang good advice, that's a perfect answer IMO.

Fazer401

Done that

Very small unintentional ones here as well..... I scared the living crap out of myself one day passing a Tahoe, my front tire was up while I was changing lanes. Like riding a unicycle.......I guess, because I've never riden one till that day.

Lmao, I know this is old and I do plenty of intentional wheelies, BUT I have done this exact thing and scared the piss outta meself. Came out of a looped onramp to 95 and had to get right over. So the guy in the Penisenvy XL (substitute your funny too-big SUV name here) speeds up to not let me over, and naturally I grab a fistful of throttle and UUUUUP she goes...the guy in the passenger seat had his eyes on me from the beginning and you just see his eyes go biiiiiigger and BIIIIGGER. I know it looked sick buddy, but it was a surprise to me too!

Fazer401

Clutch it up (now with more blip)

I to only do clutch wheelies , I learnt a few years ago when I had an 05 R6 with the front forks set really high when I bought it. every time I took off from the lights abit fast the front would come up.

I then started playing with clutching second gear and I locked my arms which threw me back and I grabbed the throttle to try hold on and looped it at 130kph without a riding jacket on. learnt my lesson there and completely destroyed an awesome bike.

the fz8 being such a heavy bike I find clutches up really smoothly. I just want to be able to clutch up in second like I do in first so I can have freedom to wheelie anywhere like my friend does on his zx9r.

+1 to this, people can be dicky when you're looking to learn to wheelie. It's one of those things people forget they weren't born doing lol. I've had a couple Gixxer 600's,an 05 and an 06, and I feel like the FZ is an easier bike to get up. I definitely prefer to clutch up a wheelie because I feel like I'm more in control if that makes sense. I think its personal,maybe comes down to how you learned or what you learned on. I never pop it up in 1st on a big bike, I'll admit it, I feel like its that much easier to loop it in a touchy gear like 1st. If you feel comfy doing that, 2nd is a cakewalk. Get in a nice, safe, quiet place where you can play around. Get into 2nd, doesn't have to be fast- right at the bottom of 2nd is fine. Pull the clutch in with a couple fingers maybe halfway and give the throttle a good blip and pop the clutch as the blip hits lol. If all you do is pogo the front end a bit, youre on the right track, just give her more blip! the blip is the key! That way you don't have to stop and tell the hot blonde to wait while you show her a roll-on wheelie (more often its like 3 twelve year old kids yelling for a wheelie but we can dream). I have seen people suggest the same thing but in 1st, and maybe left foot on back peg but IMHO 2nd is more forgiving. Yeah, I'm leaving 1st gear wheelies for dirtbikes and my YSR 50, I'm not pushing my luck toooo hard. I'm getting too old for all that crazy stuff you kids are into.

frogger

bugger me and my friend just got done for 40kph over the limit so we will loose our licenses :( , cop was good about it . in perth if your caught doing 40 over the limit they impound your bike , the cop wrote we were pinged at 140 and they always take 2 points for calibration reasons so 138 kph in 100 zone so we got to keep our bikes.

he said he knew we were doing at least 170 because that's what he was doing to try and catch us :D

so ill loose my license for 6 months so ill look at converting the bike into a stunter for winter until I get my license back.

frogger

IMHO 2nd is more forgiving. Yeah, I'm leaving 1st gear wheelies for dirtbikes and my YSR 50, I'm not pushing my luck toooo hard. I'm getting too old for all that crazy stuff you kids are into.

while I agree with this , for the life of me I can not get this bike to come up with ease in second. id have to yank back on the bars and then I may aswell just be doing it in first as its just as unstable.

DLSGAP

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_Z96lxyUo&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]MCN's guide to Wheelies - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

Jacek3743

Lmao, I know this is old and I do plenty of intentional wheelies, BUT I have done this exact thing and scared the piss outta meself. Came out of a looped onramp to 95 and had to get right over. So the guy in the Penisenvy XL (substitute your funny too-big SUV name here) speeds up to not let me over, and naturally I grab a fistful of throttle and UUUUUP she goes...the guy in the passenger seat had his eyes on me from the beginning and you just see his eyes go biiiiiigger and BIIIIGGER. I know it looked sick buddy, but it was a surprise to me too!

Haha, I would have loved to be the passenger in that car

schmittz

Long story short, if you're gonna wheelie/stunt, flip your plate up and do it on a faster bike than the fz8. And never slow down, thats when they hit you and put it down as failure to maintain control.

Jacek3743

Long story short, if you're gonna wheelie/stunt, flip your plate up and do it on a faster bike than the fz8. And never slow down, thats when they hit you and put it down as failure to maintain control.

Not gonna lie but that sounds like not the smartest advice on here....

97audia4

i cant wheelie my bike for shit. Guess im going to try a sprocket kit bc even clutching them up doesnt seem to work.

b-eock

Mind explaining what you're doing? Speed, gear, RPM, stance, revs while slipping clutch?

97audia4

Mind explaining what you're doing? Speed, gear, RPM, stance, revs while slipping clutch?

first gear ive tried at about 6.5k and slip the clutch, and ive tried second gear about 5-6k and slipping the clutch.

b-eock

I can't do a sit down 2nd gear. First gear, I can pull wheelies anything above 8 miles an hour all day. What are you exactly trying to do? 1st gear sit downs?

97audia4

I can't do a sit down 2nd gear. First gear, I can pull wheelies anything above 8 miles an hour all day. What are you exactly trying to do? 1st gear sit downs?

yea sit downs both is second and first, didnt try any standing up yet