WHEELIE TIPS?

FZER

Avid Rider
Just so everyone knows I had a friend of a friend lose his life riding a wheelie. He was on a CBR1000 and pulled it up rode it all the way up to some say 80 to 90 mph based upon his impact. He sat the front down and headshaked right into a telephone pole. Really stupid part of this story, the week before him and two others low sided there bikes after hitting some pine straw in the middle of corner going way too fast. He wasn't even on his own bike.

V

Vapordan

I uni-cycled for about 100ft or so today.:D First gear about 6k, hit it and the front just come right up. Nice, cool, and humid this morning so figured I was making a few more ponies than I have been in the afternoons and I've lost about 15lbs over the last couple months.

We should do a weight loss thread man. c'mon!!!

FZER

Avid Rider
We should do a weight loss thread man. c'mon!!!

That would be cool. Pics of the scale required. I was like 220 a few months ago, now I'm staying around 205-202. Pretty cool. Definiately has helped my back. Very good mod for the bike!!!;)

Free too!

Fzcrusin8

How do you shift it? do you just preload the shifter then let of the gas a little and let it pop into place? Almost like a speed shift? I'm just to damn nervous to give it to much gas heh. So normally I'll chase it until the wheel starts to drop in first then speed shift but I can never catch it again.

I use a little clutch to make it smooth so it doesn't flip the front past the balence point. I rode dirt bikes since I was 14 so it help that learned on those too lol I've crashed many many times on them before I got the hang of it. Just becarefull, never ride over your head and never ever lose respect of the bike

frogger

I clutch up in first at about 60kph and shift straight into second. then I run second to about 10k rpm and shift to 3rd. best ive gotten to is 5th gear and about 1km but this is on a closed road with somewhat good space.

my friend has a zx9r which is lighter and has more hp and he powers it up and just goes through the revs to fast and he normaly has trouble shifting in the higher rpm range. also since he is on the gas so much he is landing wheelies around 180kph where as my wheelies stay between 100 and 120kph.

ssky0078

I did a demo ride on a Ninja 1000 last weekend. I was pulling onto the main street to catch up to the group and just got on the throttle a little too quick when the front wheel came up what seemed like a couple feet. Scared the crap out of me.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
It's a bummer so many people are telling you not to wheelie, in a thread called how to wheelie. thats like starting a thread about how to take turns better, but getting mostly responses telling you that speeding is dangerous. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but plenty of motorcycle riders die, not riding wheelies. or speeding. I understand some people want to ride with limited risk, but you can't limit the risk. because you are being propelled through time and space on some tiny little balloons. You could argue that it is just as irresponsible to EVER lean hard during a blind corner. I think we should start a thread called "why you shouldnt wheelie". :2cents: anyways that being said...

Second gear clutch ups with stock everything does just fine. take her from about 4-5.5k, rev it up pretty much all the way, throw your weight back as you drop the clutch, and ride the rear brake as she lifts, cuz it happens fast. Just my two cents. and other than dirtbikes, I learned how on my fz8. which happens to also be covered in case of a flip.

That ^ is how I wheelie.

edit: thread is called wheelie tips. telling someone not to wheelie could be a wheelie tip I guess

Last edited:

ssky0078

I pulled another wheelie by accident yesterday. I was back in a little road that had some ups and downs, well I was feeling saucy on the trottle hard about 7k rpm when I crested the little hill. Well the front wheel didn't come back down and I rode the wheelie down the bottom between the next little hill (kinda like whoopty oops)

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I pulled another wheelie by accident yesterday. I was back in a little road that had some ups and downs, well I was feeling saucy on the trottle hard about 7k rpm when I crested the little hill. Well the front wheel didn't come back down and I rode the wheelie down the bottom between the next little hill (kinda like whoopty oops)

you are on an fz1 lets see some intentional wheelies :)

ssky0078

you are on an fz1 lets see some intentional wheelies :)

I can't figure it out. I had my suspension setup at a race shop so at best the tire lifts a little but I can tell all the torque is pushing me forward. I did do a clutch up once in the neighborhood after I did a throttle body sync and I was running strong. Yea I dunno. The ninja 1000 wheelied so easy in comparison

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I can't figure it out. I had my suspension setup at a race shop so at best the tire lifts a little but I can tell all the torque is pushing me forward. I did do a clutch up once in the neighborhood after I did a throttle body sync and I was running strong. Yea I dunno. The ninja 1000 wheelied so easy in comparison

try a little bit of second gear clutch action on that 1000. maybe stay away from 1st. you only need to go about 30 mph, and when you first try it, ride the rear brake. riding the rear brake and learning how to react with that is pretty key. but also knowing that you dont have to do a crazy balance point wheelie. ya know? you are just practicing getting the front wheel a foot or so off the ground without freaking out. you can do it!

cambo

Avid Rider
dang it I need to stay away from this thread. Senorjack- you make it sound easy and I almost want to try it!

And wheelie-ing is the last thing my uncoordinated ass needs to attempt! Shit I have trouble trying to wheelie a bicycle!

ssky0078

try a little bit of second gear clutch action on that 1000. maybe stay away from 1st. you only need to go about 30 mph, and when you first try it, ride the rear brake. riding the rear brake and learning how to react with that is pretty key. but also knowing that you dont have to do a crazy balance point wheelie. ya know? you are just practicing getting the front wheel a foot or so off the ground without freaking out. you can do it!

I'll give it a shot, the problem is that in 2nd gear at 30mph it's only around like 3000 rpm and the torque doesn't really kick in till about 6000-7000 rpm. I've got a huge flat spot in my torque curve it seems.

I'll mess around with it and see what I can do.

Oh and I've been covering the rear brake because I've watched a few videos on how to wheelie and they all recommend that as a way to stop oneself from looping out.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I know this sounds crazy, but in second, i find it easier to start at a lower rpm. but hey, try this: when you are on a proper road for practice, try just getting the wheel off the ground at different rpms, in second only. for instance try at 3k rpm and see what it takes to get some lift in the front. then after ten or 20 tries at that rpm, try 3.5k. then 4, then 4.5 etc. but I think about 5-6k is the highest you want to be at when you rev then drop the clutch.

also there are two ideas pf thought, you pick your fav. one idea (the one I use) is to grab the clutch first, then rev, then release.

the other technique would be to roll on the throttle slowly, and as you do "blip" the clutch. just give it a little tap. keep your right hand consistant, and you change how long your "clutch blip" is. a shorter one, only allows the rpms to get so high, and a longer one allows the engne to spin faster.

but for me, (maybe a little more advanced) I like to stand up in second, grab the clutch, rev it as I bounce the forks a bit, and drop it like its hot. next thing you know im a foot taller and standing straight up.

@cambo- k dont do big ol wheelies. seriously, listen to your body when it tells you its not going to pull this one off haha. just my :2cents: But no reason (imo) not to learn the tecnique. on the fz8 since its not a liter bike, you can try in first. don't be scared, just be controlled, try little clutch drops, and practice not "bobble heading". it just means you are getting more comfortable with the immediate acceleration. by going 15-20 or so in first, then revving to about 6k and letting go of the clutch, you can achieve small amounts of lift in the front. its all about PACE and PRACTICE. if you are having a sketch day, dont even try, controll your learning pace. and practice everytime you can

ssky0078

@cambo- k dont do big ol wheelies. seriously, listen to your body when it tells you its not going to pull this one off haha. just my :2cents: But no reason (imo) not to learn the tecnique. on the fz8 since its not a liter bike, you can try in first. don't be scared, just be controlled, try little clutch drops, and practice not "bobble heading". it just means you are getting more comfortable with the immediate acceleration. by going 15-20 or so in first, then revving to about 6k and letting go of the clutch, you can achieve small amounts of lift in the front. its all about PACE and PRACTICE. if you are having a sketch day, dont even try, controll your learning pace. and practice everytime you can

I think cambo was kidding about wheelies. If you check out his bike thread you'd see his 2.5 inch chicken strips. I don't think he's leaned more than 10 degrees.

Cambo it's alright dude, it just takes seat time and new experiences. I have put close to 10k miles in since november. I'm just starting to feel comfortable about trying/talking wheelies.

frogger

what does the fz1 weight ?

I think its around the same as the 8. in which case it should take less effort to wheelie then the 8. you shouldn't need to push on the forks or yank back as this will only result in the bike leaning off balance.

from a stopped position put your ass at the rear of your seat. do a race start and accelerate fairly hard, when your rpm is roughly half way snap the throttle off and on again and the bike should rise.

practise letting the bars come to your chest and not locking your arms as it will push your body back if you do lock them and that makes it come up faster then you want.

b-eock

I guess Senor Jack and I are the wheelie masters :p. Best wheelie I've done I pulled it up with power in 4th or 5th gear with a power wheelie. No clutching it up unless sitting down in 1st and I wanna ride a slow one. I was standing and rode it for maybe a little over 30 seconds. I was at balance point while standing and going ~120. I'm kinda crazy and an adrenaline junky. Both feet on rear pegs and no hand rear brake. I know it sounds unbelievable, but I promise you I did this. If you have any questions just ask and I'll try answer or help to the best of my abilities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

b-eock

from a stopped position put your ass at the rear of your seat. do a race start and accelerate fairly hard, when your rpm is roughly half way snap the throttle off and on again and the bike should rise.

Snaping the throttle isn't necessary. Neither is the racing take off. Just take off, at about 40 MPH maybe, full throttle it and pull to your chest. Should come up with ease. Be very weary of it coming up fast and cover the brake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

ssky0078

what does the fz1 weight ?

I think its around the same as the 8. in which case it should take less effort to wheelie then the 8. you shouldn't need to push on the forks or yank back as this will only result in the bike leaning off balance.

practise letting the bars come to your chest and not locking your arms as it will push your body back if you do lock them and that makes it come up faster then you want.

the Fz1 I think weighs 485 but I have the fairing off and a euro/naked headlight on, just like the 8. I'm 6'4" and 245 so when I lean forward it does put a lot of weight over the middle and front of the bike. I'm a little nervous to get my weight back further or even sit up on the pillion seat because of like you warned if I straighten my arms and all my weight shifts back too far.