What type of oil?

Gusm91

Hey guys, I have just done my 600 mile service and I would like to know what oil I should use for next time I do my oil change since I want to do my own oil changes starting then. I have never done a motorcycle oil change before, therefore, I have no idea in what type of oil to look for and I do not want to accidentally put the wrong oil in my engine. I am preferably looking at Mobil 1 full synthetic...but which kind? I see a Mobil 1 20w-40 4t racing...is that the correct oil for this type of engine and transmission? Thanks guys!

rail

I pick up the Mobil 10W-40 4T oil in the motorcycle section. That's the weight recommended by the manual, I've run it year round with no problems in various bikes.

master paper clip

I run amsoil, I switched to it on my 3rd oil change and man it smoothed the shit out of my gear box, they also claim u can run it for double or triple the manufacturer recommendations, that part I can't comment on cause I usual do it right around 3000... It being my daily driver I can't alway get my oil change done on time, I can say I ended up doing about 5000 on my second amsoil oil change and te oil still looked good, not remotely dirty looking

Shorted

is the Yamaha FZ8 engine a four cycle engine or a 4 stroke?

It is the same thing, a four cycle engine is also known as a 4 stroke which is when the piston completes four separate strokes—intake, compression, power, and exhaust—during two separate revolutions of the engine's crankshaft.

RoadKill

i always use Mobil 1 10W-40 4T synthetic. it's done very good on test, it's reasonably priced and easy to get locally.

DanS

Commuter
I also use Mobil1 4t with a K&N filter. I buy it at O'reilly auto parts, it's almost half the price compared to some of the local bike shops.

pigdog

im using non synthetic oil for the first 10,000mi because the gear box & engine share the same oil & it takes that long for some parts to ware in. after that ill switch to motul 15-50. (motul 1500) 4,000mi intervals.

dalco450

Motul 5100 10W-40 4T

pigdog

canola oil? is that what it is? sure smells good when warmed up. its kinda like what a motorcycle fart would smell like.