What to wear in hot weather?

alexk

Weekend Rider
Hey all.

Summer is coming up, and for Austin, TX that means weeks on end where the days are above 100F (38C) and nights don't drop below 80F (27C). Couple that with humidity, and riding can be a stifling experience.

What do you guys do to beat the heat?

I currently wear a mesh jacket, but sometimes it's just not cool enough. Mesh pants seem to be incredibly expensive (though good gear is priceless in a spill), so I'm currently in armored kevlar jeans.

Does anybody have any experience with Cyclegear's Heat Out products? At $15 for the pants and $15 for the shirt, the price is pretty decent...

Their cold-weather Freeze-Out stuff works pretty well, but I'm hesitant to add layers when I'm already too warm...

Last edited:

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Veskimo appears to be an active water-cooling system - a definite possibility, but at $317 for vest + pump, I'd like to try something a bit cheaper first.

Also a possibility are Sedici's Close series $40+$40 - more than twice the price of the Heat-out products above...

I am looking at the BILT Cooling Vest $40 as well, but definitely want to hear from others.

First of all, I LOVE Austin even though I'm a California guy at heart.

But some mesh pants may be the answer for the bottom. I got some AGVsport solare air mesh pants and they are fantastically breezy all over my nether regions for about $100 bucks.

Now, 80 degrees at night, i imagine is quite wonderful! but the 100 degrees with the sun pounding on you I can sense is no day in the park.

So really, I dunno, unless you like bring around all that extra water cooled gear, I would just avoid riding at the peak of heat.

schmittz

T-shirt and shorts ;)

Kidding!
I have a icon vest, some elbow pads, and riding sneakers. They work pretty well for hot days.

cambo

Avid Rider
I've suited up in everything so far...and usually that's my mantra. BUT, yesterday, I was working a landscaping gig, tired as all hell, and needed to go down the street to the CVS to grab a gatorade. I was all hot and dirty and I didn't feel like throwing on the leather jacket. So I rode in a t shirt (and helmet and gloves of course). G'damn the ride was nice. Almost like...freeballing...but in the motorcycle sense.

thach1130

schmittz said:
some elbow pads, and riding sneakers. They work pretty well for hot days.
That is a good idea. Maybe some elbow and knee pads. Then I can ride in T-shirt and shorts...with glove and helmet of course.
Just got an alpinestar verona air mesh jacket. Lots of air flow. I wanted the alpinestar tgpr air jacket but the verona air was cheaper. Been dumping too much money into the bike lately so i need to cut back.

I've tried the sliders 2 all season mesh jacket but it was bulky and heavy. I like the slim european style of alpinestar. I'm pretty skinny. I already have a alpinestar textile jacket for cooler weather so it is easy to swap out the bio armor back protector for the summer.

Still don't know what to do about pant. Just going to rock some jean or khaki at the moment. But recalling last year, even just wearing the jean/khaki, some ride was like roasting nuts during my ride. I swore i smelled something cooking if i got stuck in traffic. So i will look into some mesh pant when the weather gets hotter. That way i can wear shorts on the inside.

One more thing to figure out is riding boots. I've been wearing timberland boots for ride. But they can be pretty stuffy in the hot summer sun. Any recommendation. Last year i've ridden with tennis/mesh shoes since they are well ventilated.

If only our bodies are not so fragile then we could ride with more freedom.

Last edited:

DanS

Commuter
Xelement Men's CF-511 Mesh Sports Armored Motorcycle Jacket
In the Houston area we have 2 seasons, hot and not hot. I just got this jacket for the hot season and tried it out this weekend 50mi yesterday and 60mi today...My initial thoughts... The airflow is great, it's very light weight, good armor in the elbows and shoulders, it was a little itchy yesterday but today I didn't notice it, and I don't care for the velcro wrist adjustment but the quality seems really good for the price although it pales in comparison to my not hot season Fieldsheer jacket, but for $60 I think I did alright.

good dog

I have no experience with the temperatures you endure. The Bilt cooling vest looks like a reasonable option and you may be able to find other protective jeans that may be cooler. There is a balance that you have to consider. Exposed to the wind and you dehydrate faster as you sweat more and sweat is natures way of cooling by evaporating more slowly than the wind provides.

A friend is currently a coach of cross-country running at the local university and a former Olympic competitor. Last summer she was testing this Omni-Freeze Zero Cooling Performance Clothing & Apparel | Columbia.com during her runs, albeit in much less temperatures and humidity that you experience, she gives it her two thumbs up as producing the effects it claims. Probably pricier than the Heat-Out's products but another option.

Think about a simple hydration pack as well. Filled with ice & water to begin with, rehydrating is definitely the way to remain cooler as you continue to sweat without getting dehydrated. I'd think taking a drink every 15 minutes or longer will also give you the edge at staying cool.

Something like this Hydrapak - Hydration Packs and Reservoirs | Store . I'd go with anyone of the packs on the 1st or 2nd row, upgrade to a 3 litre reservoir if you want (some come standard) and you're good to go or if the one you try comes with a 2 litre reservoir, give that a try and see if it's sufficient. What I like about the Hydrapak's is the reservoir can be safely turned inside out for cleaning and drying. I've got the Laguna for hiking.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Doug

alexk

Weekend Rider
I went and bought the Bilt cooling vest, and have ridden with it three times when the temperatures were in the upper 80s. Absolutely wonderful at those temperatures - it does all the sweating for me, I stayed plenty cool, and each time I arrived without feeling parched (which is unusual).

I'll update and post a proper review once I have had some triple-degree rides with it.

e11charlie

I just use a mesh jacket. If its not cool enough I keep a couple of bottles of water with me. One for drinking the other for pouring in my jacket. Your body knows how to cool itself that's why you sweat. Heat convection it is called. Nothing cools better. Your bike uses it and it is the most efficient way to cool an object. By sweating you body does this. I know "Oh My god I might have to sweat." That's what the bottle of water is for. These idiots riding with out gear are the ones who pass out first. Their sweat evaporates before heat convection can occur. Why do you think the nomadic people of the desert cover themselves in clothes. No fancy gadgets to help cool just water and a jacket. Maybe I'm just cheap.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Evaporative cooling is a must. I make a very deliberate effort to hydrate before and after a ride, and don't mind sweating.

Trick is... I'm a viking. I can handle cold weather without issue (love pyrogensis), but I overheat more easily than I'd like. What I'm trying to avoid isn't sweating, but rather low-grade heat stroke.

If you haven't ever experienced it, I start with slightly slurred speech, then start losing fine motor control, followed by short term memory. The really messed up thing is that the memory loss can cause me to forget I'm heat stroking.

I actually had this happen when flogging a cage around a racetrack. There was only one exit, and shortly after I passed it, I told my instructor it would be my last lap because I was beginning to heat stroke. Somewhere down the line, I forgot I was heat stroking, and sailed past the exit, carrying more speed than I should. I bounced my rear tires off a berm, and started fishtailing a full 270 degrees on the Buttonwillow front straight (we were running counterclockwise, bus stop, buttonhook). I have no clue how I managed to avoid the wall, but I learned then and there - don't mess around when it comes to heat.

good dog

Just remember thirst is not a reliable sign that a person needs fluids.

Typical caveats, stay away from drinking caffeine and alcohol on really hot days if you can, they just lead to dehydrating you by being a Diuretic

Depending on the length of your rides you may be dehydrating sooner than you think. Dehydration is also one of the steps leading to heat-stroke, but with your cooling vest and attempting to drink (even warm water) while you ride for a few hours, from all you've posted, I think then you'll be better prepared than most.

Another thing many people who have suffered heat stroke don't know is that in can take up to a week to fully recover making you more sensitive to the heat until then.

Keep us posted as to how the cooling vest works for you once it really gets hot. I probably add one as part of my gear.

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

I have the Alpinestars T-GP-R Air Jacket, and for me it provided good cooling when you take out the rain/wind liner thats inside. Rode in 86F temperature in stop and go traffic.
Though in 60F temperature, too much air flows through and I am shivering a little while riding especially when its raining lol.

Bajaedition

In the summer I pull out the armored flow thru jacket, current 1 I am using is a speed and strength brand, fits nice, has good armor and when going down the road you really do not know it is on. I also change from riding boots to a set of shoes that covers the ankles. I always try to have reinforced Jeans on.
I only pull out full leathers for track days and I really do not do them much any more. Funny I have a track that does track days less than 5 miles from me now also.
I also carry 3 or 4 bottles of water in my tank bag just to poor on myself. I live in the CA desert and it can get triple digit from may till end of September so you have to carry water.

07cobaltLScoupe

That is a good idea. Maybe some elbow and knee pads. Then I can ride in T-shirt and shorts...with glove and helmet of course.
Just got an alpinestar verona air mesh jacket. Lots of air flow. I wanted the alpinestar tgpr air jacket but the verona air was cheaper. Been dumping too much money into the bike lately so i need to cut back.

I've tried the sliders 2 all season mesh jacket but it was bulky and heavy. I like the slim european style of alpinestar. I'm pretty skinny. I already have a alpinestar textile jacket for cooler weather so it is easy to swap out the bio armor back protector for the summer.

Still don't know what to do about pant. Just going to rock some jean or khaki at the moment. But recalling last year, even just wearing the jean/khaki, some ride was like roasting nuts during my ride. I swore i smelled something cooking if i got stuck in traffic. So i will look into some mesh pant when the weather gets hotter. That way i can wear shorts on the inside.

One more thing to figure out is riding boots. I've been wearing timberland boots for ride. But they can be pretty stuffy in the hot summer sun. Any recommendation. Last year i've ridden with tennis/mesh shoes since they are well ventilated.

If only our bodies are not so fragile then we could ride with more freedom.

i picked up a pair of Magnum boots last year and i wear them strictly for riding, very light and breathable but still very solid, you can also look into Bates.

mckshred

I have same jacket for Desert SW Area

Xelement Men's CF-511 Mesh Sports Armored Motorcycle Jacket
In the Houston area we have 2 seasons, hot and not hot. I just got this jacket for the hot season and tried it out this weekend 50mi yesterday and 60mi today...My initial thoughts... The airflow is great, it's very light weight, good armor in the elbows and shoulders, it was a little itchy yesterday but today I didn't notice it, and I don't care for the velcro wrist adjustment but the quality seems really good for the price although it pales in comparison to my not hot season Fieldsheer jacket, but for $60 I think I did alright.

We have the same 2 seasons here and I have the same jacket. The padding is okay, the wrist enclosures are too small....air flows in, but not really out, but it's better than wearing my leather jacket when it's 105+. :eek: and it's highly visible from a safety standpoint. Throw it in the wash and it won't be as stiff and itchy. I think the better alternative is my car and the a/c on full blast pretty soon here.

Review Update:
As this thing has been broken in and used more, the main zipper and pocket zippers are cheap. It takes 2-3 attempts to zip any of them. I also don't trust the thin flimsy pocket interior to hold vital items, cell & wallet. I would not suggest anyone purchase this.

Last edited:

decooney

I've been experimenting with crossing over dirt gear to street, like some of the Fox gear folks have mentioned, but wanted something more substantial and safer for longer 1/2+ day rides. Riding with shorts and a t-shirt is something many of us did when we were younger. The older I get, and after seeing people die or bodies and skin get tore off like grated Swiss cheese, riding with gear is a must, even on super hot days. Shredded my right arm once, and won't forget doctors picking gravel out over a few months until it healed. I look at it this way - If our US soldiers can wear all the gear they do in combat for us in the desert, I can tough it out enough wearing a protective mesh suit on the bike. Edit: Forgot to mention it, my cool gear is for under 75 (35-75) degrees, the hot gear is for 75 to 100 degree riding. Right now in NorCal we've had several 100+ degree days lately, and a perfect time to test out hot weather riding gear. I find I can ride my new full Mesh gear up to 100 degree days, but when its hot, its hot, no matter what you wear. Wearing only shorts and t-shirt means dry hot heat dehydration, and sunburn also contributes to fatigue if you are going on more than a quick ride.

FWIW to the original poster, I'm currently trying out the new 2013 Alpinestars Viper Mesh Jacket and Alpinestars mesh pants. Added the optional CE Armor, chest and full back protector in the jacket. Nice quality stuff, not too heavy, designed to protect you. Be safe. ;)

Last edited: