What to look for after a low side glide.

What to look for after a low side slide.

Had a low side spill on a rainy ride home. No real damage to the bike, the frame sliders took the brunt of it.

Have a few scrapes on the left side mirror, handlebar slider, clutch lever and kick stand. The spool slider broke off completely and there's a bit of a scrape on the lower side of the swing arm. The shifter is a little bit bent and the left side rearset seems a little loose.

Took it for a spin around the block while a buddy grabbed his trailer. Everything seems to be aligned and while my buddy was driving behind me he said it looked straight.

Just wondering what else I should look for to make sure everything is all good.

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Glad your ok man, and thanks for being honest and showing people that you downed it. No one is invincible, I'm still waiting for my "time" to be up.....:rolleyes:

I would check your steering head and make sure you didn't crack or break your steering stops.

first thing i look for is scratches :D

Definitely the first thing I checked out! Only thing that got scratched that can't really be replaced is the swingarm.

Glad your ok man, and thanks for being honest and showing people that you downed it. No one is invincible, I'm still waiting for my "time" to be up.....:rolleyes:

I would check your steering head and make sure you didn't crack or break your steering stops.

Ya, woke up a little sore this morning but nothing too bad. Thanks for the tip!

jassilamba

Glad to know that there is no major damage to you.

I know I have messed up the steering stop in the past on my old bike, but thanks to that I could make sharper turns to the left, compared to the right lol.

Glad to know that there is no major damage to you.

I know I have messed up the steering stop in the past on my old bike, but thanks to that I could make sharper turns to the left, compared to the right lol.

Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :eek:

Steering stops are good! If crashes are statistical, I'm hoping I've been reset.

tjfisher

i took a low speed spill the other month caught some morning dew on the road . check everything you can see. check the top triple tree it can easily twist . i just noticed on the way home on her today that mine had twisted slightly.
ill fix that this weekend when i mount a new front tire .

In all serious the scratches are a "what did i hit calling card" .

i took a low speed spill the other month caught some morning dew on the road . check everything you can see. check the top triple tree it can easily twist . i just noticed on the way home on her today that mine had twisted slightly.
ill fix that this weekend when i mount a new front tire .

In all serious the scratches are a "what did i hit calling card" .
Good to know. Thanks man!

Larry P

Check the handlebar too. The stock one is prone to being a crunch zone. Aftermarket bar would probably still be fine after a drop

rug_burn

No damage on the gearshift? I've dropped mine twice, not laid it down, once on ice, and once from forgetting to put the kickstand down, and both times it bent the gearshift or brake lever a little.

What kind of tires did you have on it?

That info about the forks getting twisted is right on, mine were that way when I got it. Just loosen the lower clamp bolts only, and twist back into shape as best you can and retorque the bolts (17 ft-lb). It's kind of hard to tell when it's straight with all the stuff in the way.

Last edited:
Check the handlebar too. The stock one is prone to being a crunch zone. Aftermarket bar would probably still be fine after a drop

Handle bar is fine from what I can tell. There are slight scratches on the bar ends but it still looks straight.

No damage on the gearshift? I've dropped mine twice, not laid it down, once on ice, and once from forgetting to put the kickstand down, and both times it bent the gearshift or brake lever a little.

What kind of tires did you have on it?

That info about the forks getting twisted is right on, mine were that way when I got it. Just loosen the lower clamp bolts only, and twist back into shape as best you can and retorque the bolts (17 ft-lb). It's kind of hard to tell when it's straight with all the stuff in the way.

Ya, the shifter is little bent but that's it. Brake lever was fine except for some scratches at the end. Bought the bike last year and still have the stock tires on them.

After thinking about it for the last little while I think it was a combination of being a little too aggressive and riding over the centre lane markers, which in Toronto can get pretty slippery.

Thanks for the info guys!

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Glad you're OK! Bikes can be fixed easier than humans can!

Just high-sided my FZ1 less than 2 weeks ago. Minor rash on several parts and a small dent on the tank. A small dent on the lower frame from the rear brake lever but insurance says it's not structural. I was on a one-way and two vehicles were coming the wrong way right at me as I rounded a corner. Split-second choices were a curb, parked cars, head-on, traffic to my right or dump the bike and bail. I bailed. His insurance is taking care of all of it. Stuff adds up quick!

I've decided to not fix it, bought a new 2013 FZ1 and will move all my mods to the new one then sell the rashed 2009 with full disclosure. Still a great bike, just has some scratches in several places.

krillz

Sorry about the spill. But your crash pads looks awesome. I've yet to see them on a bike until now. Looks like they work.