What tank bag!?

Umyaya

So I am starting to do longer trips and looking into getting a tank bag... I have a Ogio Mach 3 backpack along with a Ogio tail bag.... but I want a tank bag to hold a map/open slot for my phone... etc. Anyone have suggestions of good ones that will fit on the FZ8 and be comfortable?

krillz

I have the Yamaha FZ8 City Tank Bag. It's made for the bike. Works very well. Great map pocket and it's a zip off bag. Leaving the base behind is also a larger map pocket built into it that's very useful.

Marthy

I got the bag connection tank bag from Twisted Throttle. It locked on the adapter that bolt on top of the gaz cap. Really nice... can add a GPS mount to it.

krillz

Does the bottom attach via magnets?

Nope. It uses a 2 straps I don't like the magnets because my last one attracted iron and graphite that stuck to the magnet and would scratch if not cleaned regularly.
Marthys bag is real nice as well.

Umyaya

Nope. It uses a 2 straps I don't like the magnets because my last one attracted iron and graphite that stuck to the magnet and would scratch if not cleaned regularly.
Marthys bag is real nice as well.

Is it a pain to take off every time you have to fill up on gas? Also I want magnets but I want to try and put down a material or tape on the tank so it doesn't scratch it! Any ideas?

krillz

Is it a pain to take off every time you have to fill up on gas? Also I want magnets but I want to try and put down a material or tape on the tank so it doesn't scratch it! Any ideas?

No. To fill up just unsnap the the bottom and flip it up. Plasti-dip should do

Joe.kelsi

Where do the straps go?

I am worried about room behind my headlight as I have resistors and ballasts in there currently.

krillz

The front strap goes thru the hole in the frame. Just slide the buckle off and put it thru. Plenty of room and the back goes on the gas tank hinge. You do need to remove the front seat to install the rear strap. When not in use I stuff it between the seat and tank. The front strap goes with the base when removed. Awesome rain fly too, it lets you see your map pocket when installed

Marthy

Cost a little more but don't touch the tank at all. You can lock up the bag too on the tank via a pin... or a good old 6mm bolt. I use a TSA lock on mine to lock from the outside. Great bags... Twisted throttle.

http://youtu.be/Cv7A8ioZiNg

tiki

So I am starting to do longer trips and looking into getting a tank bag... I have a Ogio Mach 3 backpack along with a Ogio tail bag.... but I want a tank bag to hold a map/open slot for my phone... etc. Anyone have suggestions of good ones that will fit on the FZ8 and be comfortable?
I have a Givi tanklock bag and I haven't ever used it. If you're interested I can post some pictures. It has a flange that goes around the gas tank then it just pops off with a lever on the bottom.

TorontoAlex

I got an Oxford 1st Time tank bag, was like $70 or so. Has magnets for tank, and straps to go around the forks. Have never scratched the tank (I am picky and attentive when I wash the bike). I make sure to fold the magnetic wings when I remove the bag. The straps must be used if going over 140 kmph in high winds. I almost lost my fiancé's engagement ring (because I almost lost the bag) on the highway. Lesson learned!