***WARNING*** LUNATIC ALERT!!! Do I buy an FZ8???

M3D1C_Dan

Well, if that don't catch your eye, your probably not on the same stupid wavelength as me and should exit now!

...no? ... still here?

Awesome. Seems I may have found a crowd on the same planet as me. Mainly dominated by rubber, speed, fun and the occasional bout of deep and meaningful sensible banter (not that often though).

Anyway. Enough BS, lets cut to it.

HELLO PEOPLE!

I'm Dan, from Wesy Yorkshire in the UK (for those overseas).
Been riding for 20+ years and whilst I currently ride a Suzuki GSXR600 K6, as well as the fun packed Honda MSX125 Grom which I've just fitted with a 183cc Finbro Big Bore kit, I am seriously being steered towards joining your clan. If I change my mind, my presence here will be short lived and it's been nice meeting you all.

I'm no stranger to forums or their etiquette so hopefully my addition to your club should prove amusing as well as fruitful. I've a few skills up my sleeve which may help the site out, but I'll uncover these once I've had the official welcome kicking from you all.

Right. First round is on me... what you all having?

M3D1C_Dan

Ah, I see your confusion. This was due to me splitting the post halfway through writing it.

My question (pulled from my second post) was based on me considering me part-ex'ing my Suzuki GSXR600 in for a 2010 FZ8: things to look out for with used examples; common upgrades: positives/negatives etc.

The question is in the title tbf

Bagman

To be fair, you did provide the "Lunatic Alert" warning in the title too. I can only think of one important piece to look at with a used FZ8, and that's the triangle piece of metal underneath the bike at the bottom of the rear-shock. It has been known to bend! Likely to do with fat people going over big bumps.. but check it. There is thread on here about it.

If you gong-ho to modify, then start with a slip-on and a flash of the ECU from Guhl's or Turbo-Joe or somewhere similar over in the UK.

Bagman

After those two mod items I listed you could look at suspension - since that is a common complaint with the FZ8. I'd ride around and decide how satisfactory the stock suspension is. The 2010 models are not adjustable. I think that started up in 2012 with the FZ8. Since you're in the UK I'd just hit up my home-land, Holland, for HyperPro's StreetBox kit and be done with it.

For performance mods you can get into headers, PCV, dyno-tuning, and airbox hack-mods, but why bother. If you really want to spend $$ on that - just buy a better bike.

M3D1C_Dan

After those two mod items I listed you could look at suspension - since that is a common complaint with the FZ8. I'd ride around and decide how satisfactory the stock suspension is. The 2010 models are not adjustable. I think that started up in 2012 with the FZ8. Since you're in the UK I'd just hit up my home-land, Holland, for HyperPro's StreetBox kit and be done with it.

For performance mods you can get into headers, PCV, dyno-tuning, and airbox hack-mods, but why bother. If you really want to spend $$ on that - just buy a better bike.

Yeah I get all of the above and have spent a fortune modding my Honda Grom already, so have a few 'contacts' overseas for various bits of bike kit at good prices. I know a guy who can get cheaper Thai (replica or not) Ohlins rear shockers for a fraction of the UK cost (by a good few hundred GBP) as well as various other bits, so will make a few enquiries as to cost and shipping etc.

As for speed, I'm more into the fun element of just hooking up with other bikers and blasting around roads than trying to be public enemy No.1 and risking my licence, hence one of the primary reasons for switching back to more subtle nakeds such as the FZ8 (not that it doesn't have to capabilities of still tempting me to the wrong side of the law), but another factor is that the majority of UK roads are in a shocking state of repair, and boast more potholes and diesel spills than a lot of other countries out there, so riding like a tit only narrows your chance of surviving an off.

Bagman

If riding around endlessly with your friends is your thing - and who wouldn't want to do that.. then look at SHAD's replacement seat, and make sure you're all set to go with SENA or a CARDO BT headset for the constant friendly smack-talk. lol.

I'd also be looking at luggage options to haul around things like a change of clothes when off the bike or some snacks and a camera. I know Yamaha makes a replacement passenger grab-rail that just integrates a rear top-box holder. Very clean looking. Motodynamic makes a really nice LED integrated tail light for not much money.

Last edited:

Third Fz

My last 3 bikes were a new Fz09, a new KTM 1290 Super Duke R
And now this Used Fz8. I traded the 09 for the SDR, sold the SDR
When money got tight and bought the 8 from a neighbor. I really
absolutely love this 8! The 9 was quicker, the SDR was my dream
ride but the 8 is faster than 9 (speed limited in the USA) and for me
the 8 handles better in the corners than my 9 did even after I put a
ZX10 shock on the 9! I have taken the 8 to Colorado ( I live in TX),
run the dog poop out of it for 3 days (350 miles a day) and it held
up better than I did. I bought it with 10K mikes, it now has 15K and
all I have done is change oil, tires, and a chain (from corrosion)! I
spent more money on my KTM for my first Service than I have on
the 8. I bought a Corbin seat, bar backs (1 inch) and a slip on exh
and I am having 2/3rds the fun of the KTM at 1/3 the price! It will
tour all day and strafe the corners when you get where you going!
Used ones are cheap too! So don't waste a bunch of cash like I did,
just find a nice FZ8 and party on! The power is just right all the time!

Gem rod

Here's your answer; isn't she gorgeous? :cool::eek::welcome:

Bagman

Since I just got a Canon EOS 70d I really need to take new photos of my bike. GEMRod, I have your bike, except I went with a matching blue sub-cowl; installed an R77-D pipe, and a smoked MRA Vario-Touring is on order. I also installed Yamaha's tail-tidy.

Gem rod

Since I just got a Canon EOS 70d I really need to take new photos of my bike. GEMRod, I have your bike, except I went with a matching blue sub-cowl; installed an R77-D pipe, and a smoked MRA Vario-Touring is on order. I also installed Yamaha's tail-tidy.

Looking forward to seeing the pic Mr B :cheers: