Want more life and traction on center of tire.

FastZ8

As my tires have begun to wear I'm looking at what kind to buy next. I'm sorry if this has been answered but I could not find it. I don't have a ton of twists and turns where I live so I spend a lot of time on the center of my tire and it wears faster. My question is what type of tire will give me longer life in the center and still be able to hit a few curves now and then. Also I have been considering a 190 because I have rode bikes with a 190 before and it feels more stable in turns although harder to turn in it feels more comfortable to me. Lastly would a 190/50 or 55 give me a larger contact patch while upright than a 180 since its only on a 5.5 rim?

Sorry for writing a book...Lol

Thanks in advance for any advice.

FZ8 Rider

Michelin pilot power 2 are dual composite tires, hard in the middle, soft on the sides, this is my opinion of a good tire to suit your desires.

Woody146

Banned
Pilot power 2 aka pilot 2ct are excellent tires..for the track and riding on the edge of your tire. They will only last max 4000 miles.

I am saying this because I have run 2ct as well as pilot power 3(newer upgraded model) and again..these are excellent tires..but combined..I got mayyyyyybe 6500 miles (that's about 3 k on one..3.5 k on other) and that is with using the side frequently.

I would recommend the micheline pilot road series..either 3 or 4

They are also made with 2ct technology (2 compound tire) but are for harsher conditions. You will get at least 7 k out of these ( I have heard, fellow member in TX has 7 k on his and look new almost) I just put them on from pilot power 3..I must say..I really like them..I have hit a few aggressive sport rides and they hold up very nice.

The only thing I don't like is the shape of the front tire..for that..I would get a pilot power 3 or 2ct(the front wears wayyy less...no torque)

So, pilot road 4 rear and pilot power 3 front...you will love the set up and it will last you quite a few miles....

Marthy

I got a set of Angel GT lately. Review were good and seems to be good in the rain. Pound 2K miles trip from WPB to the Smoky Mountains and back. 2/3 of it was on the flat slab. Even pound a track day last weekend and ride them in the wet. Pretty solid tires and if you keep the pressure right you shoild be able to get some good mileage out of them.

FastZ8

Pilot power 2 aka pilot 2ct are excellent tires..for the track and riding on the edge of your tire. They will only last max 4000 miles.

I am saying this because I have run 2ct as well as pilot power 3(newer upgraded model) and again..these are excellent tires..but combined..I got mayyyyyybe 6500 miles (that's about 3 k on one..3.5 k on other) and that is with using the side frequently.

I would recommend the micheline pilot road series..either 3 or 4

They are also made with 2ct technology (2 compound tire) but are for harsher conditions. You will get at least 7 k out of these ( I have heard, fellow member in TX has 7 k on his and look new almost) I just put them on from pilot power 3..I must say..I really like them..I have hit a few aggressive sport rides and they hold up very nice.

The only thing I don't like is the shape of the front tire..for that..I would get a pilot power 3 or 2ct(the front wears wayyy less...no torque)

So, pilot road 4 rear and pilot power 3 front...you will love the set up and it will last you quite a few miles....
I had a set of pilot power 2ct on a previous bike. Loved the tire and the grip but I went though it in about 3000 miles...It may have had a few rides left in it but i wasnt too confident in it.

NoNine4me

First we need to understand contact patch. The size of the contact patch doesn't vary with the size of the tire; if you can imagine the tire is just a balloon, when we put a certain amount of pressure in it, the tire is going to compress only exactly to the extent of being able to support the actual weight on it.

So, say we have a load of 360 pounds on the rear tire, and we have 36 psi in the tire: we have a contact patch of exactly 10 square inches (10 X 36 = 360).

Therefore going to a bigger tire will not do anything at all except change the shape of the contact patch a little bit and change the handling of the bike.

What we want is a more durable rubber down the center and whilst there are a lot of options for dual-compound tires, some are much more sporting-oriented than others.

For what you are talking about, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 sounds like a good choice. That tire is going to give you very good grip if you are not riding track day speeds (although some guys do the odd track day on these but don't expect them to stick like a sportbike tire). The PR4 will also give you a lot of life.

The Pilot Power 3 is next more sporting step up from the PR4 in the Michelin line. The Pirelli Angel is similar to the Pilot Road 4 but you will likely get a lot more mileage from the Michelin due to its construction.

Umyaya

Pilot road 4's. Period. Don't need to explain more.
As my tires have begun to wear I'm looking at what kind to buy next. I'm sorry if this has been answered but I could not find it. I don't have a ton of twists and turns where I live so I spend a lot of time on the center of my tire and it wears faster. My question is what type of tire will give me longer life in the center and still be able to hit a few curves now and then. Also I have been considering a 190 because I have rode bikes with a 190 before and it feels more stable in turns although harder to turn in it feels more comfortable to me. Lastly would a 190/50 or 55 give me a larger contact patch while upright than a 180 since its only on a 5.5 rim?

Sorry for writing a book...Lol

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Woody146

Banned
I had a set of pilot power 2ct on a previous bike. Loved the tire and the grip but I went though it in about 3000 miles...It may have had a few rides left in it but i wasnt too confident in it.

Same for me..that's why I recommend pilot road 4 rear and pp3 front (pilot power 3 front has a more aggressive shape to it, therefore, better in turns) I want to take off my pr4 front and swap to a pp3 but I don't even have 1k miles on em yet so it would just be a waste. The pp3 have 20% more tread life than the 2ct so it should last the life of the pr4 rear b/c every time I change tires, the front always has a lot more life

Buffnav76

I needed a set of tires but hadn't made my mind up on what I wanted when a road trip came up...so I figured I'd buy a cheap set just to get me by.

I bought the contimotion...

Not a pretty tire (I think they skip the last step in finishing) but they ride great and I've put 2.5k on them and the rear is just starting to show the beginnings of the flat commuter patch.

For the price you can't go wrong. I paid under $200 for the set.

Just an idea.