Trouble Down Shifting

jmsandy77

Hi All,
Switched from Yamalube to Rotella T6 about 500 miles ago. I'm noticing a bit clunkier shifts and when down shifting at low speeds coming to a stop the gear box will get hung up. For example, I'm going 50 in 5th gear and come up to a red light I'll generally engine brake to say 2k rpm then do my downshifts. Sometimes, not all the time the gear box won't allow the downshifts. Is this the oil or something else? I know several have had success with Rotella. I've ran it in past bikes with no problems. Bike has 2700 miles on it and the oil was changed at 2200. Looking forward to your thoughts and advice.

Umyaya

How fast are you moving when you downshift? And are you literally in 5th gear and kicking it down 4 gears at once at low speed? You blipping the throttle when you downshift to match revs?

jmsandy77

How fast are you moving when you downshift? And are you literally in 5th gear and kicking it down 4 gears at once at low speed? You blipping the throttle when you downshift to match revs?

Maybe moving 20-25 mph. I'll coast using engine braking until the bike slows to about that speed and then pull in the clutch and click down until I find first while braking to stop. This is the way I've always slowed down to a light when I have the room. Done it on all of my bikes without issue. I find this method to be easiest on the bike.

eru000

I would be downshifting much sooner. Don't coast down in 5th. I almost never come to a stop in anything but 1st or 2nd. I've downshifted as I slow down. Plus, you want to keep your revs close to the power band pretty much at all times, in case you need a short bit of power. I rarely cruise below 4k, unless I'm just put-putting around and traffic is clear.

Umyaya

I would be downshifting much sooner. Don't coast down in 5th. I almost never come to a stop in anything but 1st or 2nd. I've downshifted as I slow down. Plus, you want to keep your revs close to the power band pretty much at all times, in case you need a short bit of power. I rarely cruise below 4k, unless I'm just put-putting around and traffic is clear.

I do the same thing!

OdinSon

I coast for a little bit then down shift to second or third but not first. In case you suddenly needed to get into gear and go to avoid something first could buck pretty damn hard depending on your speed. Maybe enough to cause and accident itself. My $.02

Neil_CHSZ_FZ8

Think I'm with your here, you're not alone. If I understand you correctly (reading all posts) .... I have a similar issue (12/2013 FZ8-N-ABS)
In traffic, or to the stop light for exp, let's say downshifting from 4th thro the box till 1st, it tends to "hang" on the entry to 2nd. The only way I can get it to drop into 2nd is to kick back to 3rd and try again. It kind of "sticks" or "hangs" on entry to 2nd. Damned annoying and clumsy. There is no way it will drop into 2nd unless I kick back to 3rd first and bang it down again. If you follow. It also sounds awful and loud clunking. I tried blipping the throttle, to no avail.
Personally, after many bikes over the years, this is a clutch problem and not gearing shafts..... if it's under warranty, then back to the dealer and wave your Yamaha Warranty Certificate at them ! It's what was included in the deal , right