Transmission Noise on Deceleration

Phlatsphere

Hey guys,

Got my fuel issue sorted out, so thanks! I have another question for you. Recently, my bike started making a noise on deceleration. Best way I can describe it would be a "ka-shunk ka-shunk kashunk" sound, maybe 3x per second when decelerating.

It only happens when the bike is in gear, and the clutch is not pulled.

When I pull the clutch, the noise stops, so I know its not related to any passive moving parts like brakes or sprockets. It is definitely coming from the case near my left foot. Any ideas what might be causing the sound? I plan on parking it to take a look this weekend, but I'm hoping somebody has an idea where to start.

Thanks in advance!

a-rode

sounds like a chain problem. There is not much around that area. If the stress from engine braking is causing it to bind or try and jump a tooth. You would probably feel this in the bike even if just slightly.

How many miles on the bike?

Phlatsphere

sounds like a chain problem. There is not much around that area. If the stress from engine braking is causing it to bind or try and jump a tooth. You would probably feel this in the bike even if just slightly.

The bike just rolled over 9k. Ive put 2000 on since I got it from the dealer. Ill have to check out the front sprocket to see if it is damaged at all. I did get a loud click out of it when I tried to clutch up a wheelie the other day.On my dirtbikes that always meant the chain skipped a tooth and I needed to tighten it, but it looks tight enough on the bike now. Thanks for the suggestion! I will give it a hard look tonight.

Phlatsphere

Figured it out. The right side set screw on the rear of the swing arm loosened up. The chain was tight enough, but the wheel was out of alignment ever so slightly. Chain was rattling against plastic bits up front.

Straightened the wheel and the noise is gone. Thanks!

a-rode

Figured it out. The right side set screw on the rear of the swing arm loosened up. The chain was tight enough, but the wheel was out of alignment ever so slightly. Chain was rattling against plastic bits up front.

Straightened the wheel and the noise is gone. Thanks!

happy to hear its fixed!