Track days????

AcidRaiN

Has anyone done any track days? I really want to get out there, but I don't want to take my new FZ8. So, I've been thinking of picking up a ninja 250 to track up and take out there. I figure that they're cheap, plenty of parts, easy to wrench on.

Thoughts? Experience??

Thanks!

Wieb27

I've done several (not on the FZ8) with NESBA - Midwest (which is no longer).

I would highly suggest it. Makes you a better rider and really helps you push your skills further. If you haven't yet, this book is a must read for any motorcyclist: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Motorcycle-Roadracers-Handbook/dp/0965045013]Amazon.com: Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Roadracers Handbook (Vol 1) (0636648000029): Keith Code: Books[/ame]

Lots of other great track day information here for you: Typical Motorcycle Track Day | NESBA

Far better investment in your money vs. signals & seat cowls!

C

calscrazy

+1 to all that wieb said. trackdays are the number 1 investment you will make. i usually try to make 4 a year. i use an r6 as a track bike. (bad knees would never allow me to ride that thing daily) a 250 as a track bike wouldnt be bad. as long as you can transfer what you learn to the big bike. alot of power difference between the 250 and 8. do your best to ask around and make sure the instructors are good and helpful.

Lee_533

I haven't yet. I have my first one planned for July 14th though. I can't wait. The only problem I can see having is dealing with the suspension on our bikes. I have already had problems with the rear being too soft and wanting to bounce on me. The front has been pretty good to me because I don't weight that much I guess. Got my R1 shock on the way but Satan666 is working on a V4 adapter and doesn't have any V3s left. So track day is going to be with an almost stock bike.

C

calscrazy

i did mine at eagles canyon on stock fz8. you just have to remember what you are on. you can push just dont push that little extra.

V

Vapordan

I'm also thinking of this. Won't take my beloved out there though. But maybe either rent one or *gasp* buy a track bike. Anyway, small steps, got to get ATGATT Certified first.

C

calscrazy

i could see buying extra fairings if you were doing two track days a month. if you are only doing a few a year there really isn't a point in it. as for the bike. i would just try to find a great deal on a used 600. brand doesn't really matter nor does the body work. scrathes on fairings, dent in tank....so what odds are you are gonna dump it. at least with me that is the case. i bought a used 08 r6 on the cheap. guy said it has some scrathes, missing some bolts here and there and charging system didn't work. solved all that cheap and quick. my son rides it when we go out riding now. when i go to the track i just use the quick disconnect on the turn signals, tape up headlamps, drain coolant, and go. just leave the safety wire stuff on all the time.

lothodon

Super Moderator
PLEASE CHECK YOUR INSURANCE DETAILS!!!

if you do a track day and dump there is a very very good chance your insurance will NOT cover it. you can however get track day insurance.

C

calscrazy

AHEM! you are not at a track day. you are at a school for rider improvement in a controlled and safe environment! AHEM!

worked for me!

impostor1981

Buying cheap track fairing would save u some money if you slide. Oem fairing is really pricey and all u need is front cowling and rear

DLSGAP

Twist of the wrist is a great book.

As is Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienastch.

The trackday organization I ride with has alot of videos to help you get ready

RideSmart.Info

look for their videos on YouTube

dbenj

Track day?!?!? YEEEEEESSSSSS!

Take your beloved to Miller and ride two days for free! Yamaha wants to get you out to the track and this is a way of saying THANK YOU for being a great Yamaha Customer. Check out the thread here.

Lots and LOTS of fun.

--David