Top Sellerie Seat Review

lyric911

First, the pictures:

I ordered a type 1 deluxe seat. All fabric is "sel003". Gold 3cm stitch, FZ8 logo, and tuning fork on the rear seat. I'm a tall dude, so I opted for the long seat. Also got the gel insert front and rear. I chose to let them provide the seat pans so that my stock seat would remain usable should I need to revert for some reason.

Looks: The seat is gorgeous. That's really all I can say. It looks way better than stock and way better than the Corbin. Those are the only seats I've seen in person, so I can't compare them to anything else.

The stitching on the logo and tuning forks is excellent. Time will tell how well they hold up, but for now it looks awesome.

Ordering process: Their website isn't the best, and the ordering process is a bit cumbersome because of it. The seat configurator only populates a rough drawing of the seat, so knowing what your end product will look like is a bit of a mystery unless there seats similar to your chosen configuration already on the site.

Since they are a French company, you have to pay in Euros, so be sure to check your conversion rate before you order. That number is not dollars.

Lastly, post order you really don't get any feedback on the process or when your seat will ship. Just someday 8-15 days in the future, you'll get a notification that the seat has shipped.

Unboxing: I understand why they do it. In the seat shaping process they likely have more scrap foam than they know what to do with. Unfortunately, they use it loose in the box as packing material. It's a dusty mess. The seat is wrapped in a plastic bag, but I still got the dust all over my garage.

Installation: Before the seat can be installed, you must migrate all the rubber stoppers from your stock seat to the TS seat. Not a big deal. Just have to be sure to take your time while removing and inserting them so that you don't tear them. Also have to move the rubber stoppers from the screw holes and also the sleeves that insert into them.

Once the stoppers are on, the front seat slips into position exactly like the factory seat - it's on a Yamaha factory pan after all. The hard part comes with tightening the screws. The TS seat is unbelievably less flexible than the stock seat. It makes it quite difficult to get the screws lined up and tightened. I had to use needle nose pliers in one hand and downward pressure with the other to get the screws started. Once they were started, I could then tighten with a hex key. I hope I don't have to remove this thing very frequently.

The rear seat is a little more difficult to insert than stock, but only barely. This is because the seats are butted up against each other and you have to compress the front seat to lock in the rear, which isn't required on the stock seat.

Comfort: One word. Wow. I rode for about 130 miles last night for the maiden voyage of the new seat. It was about a 65 mile trip to look at a bike and then back. On the way down, I only started to get comfortable about 10 minutes away from the destination. On the stock seat, I'd have been uncomfortable about 25 miles in - and nearly regretting the ride after about 45. On the way home, discomfort set in a bit quicker, but not by much. I'd imagine that once the seat is broken in that it'll get even more comfortable. Also, my girlfriend said, and I quote, "Your girlfriend's ass likes the new seat."

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Questions/comments?

highoctane

Canyon Carver
I Really Like It, The logo's look great. does the gel padding form to your rear?
I too thought their website was not very good. you pay with cc?

lyric911

I Really Like It, The logo's look great. does the gel padding form to your rear?
I too thought their website was not very good. you pay with cc?

There really aren't words for how comfortable the seat is. The gel sort of feels like a memory foam. You sort of squish into it and then it doesn't really flex or move again unless you move.

Paid with a CC, no issues.

C

Camo

First up, that looks great! Secondly, thanks for the write up.
I have a couple of questions though, how much was it shipped(If you don't mind) and do you think it'll impede your movement when getting a cheek of in the tight stuff?... I guess I'm wondering if it's firm or kinda plush and soft.

lyric911

First up, that looks great! Secondly, thanks for the write up.
I have a couple of questions though, how much was it shipped(If you don't mind) and do you think it'll impede your movement when getting a cheek of in the tight stuff?... I guess I'm wondering if it's firm or kinda plush and soft.

$500 shipped, including new seat pan.

It's both firm and soft. The gel layer is soft and conforms, but the foam is fairly dense and provides a solid base.

sinclap2

Lazy
I have been um'ing and ahh'ing about one these...

I does look pretty darn good though! :D

I have a question:
Did you do the seat exchange method? ie sending your originals back to them after receiving the new ones or did you keep your originals? (I can't remember which forum I read that on? Whether it was this one or the FZ1 forum?)

I don't know why, but I would be inclined to keep my original seats.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Awesome write up. Will order Tomorrow. Oh, will the stock rear seat fit with the new front seat (i don't carry a passenger and always have a tailbag attached to the rear seat).

Last edited:

lyric911

I have a question:
Did you do the seat exchange method? ie sending your originals back to them after receiving the new ones or did you keep your originals? (I can't remember which forum I read that on? Whether it was this one or the FZ1 forum?)

I don't know why, but I would be inclined to keep my original seats.

I kept my original seats and had them supply a brand new seat pan for front and rear. If I for some reason want to put my stock seats back on, I just have to swap the rubber bits back over and reinstall. I mainly did it because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of shipping my seats to France. Plus you'd be without a bike to ride for the duration of the process.

lyric911

Awesome write up. Will order Tomorrow. Oh, will the stock rear seat fit with the new front seat (i don't carry a passenger and always have a tailbag attached to the rear seat).

Not sure if it'll fit or not. The Top Sellerie front seat is quite a bit longer than the factory seat. They might not be compatible. It's not possible to order the front without getting a rear also though. Wouldn't you be able to just put your tailbag over the TS seat?

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Not sure if it'll fit or not. The Top Sellerie front seat is quite a bit longer than the factory seat. They might not be compatible. It's not possible to order the front without getting a rear also though. Wouldn't you be able to just put your tailbag over the TS seat?

I ordered today, i will put the tailbag over the TS seat like you suggested.

H

Hoover

I have the Top Sellerie covers.
Dealing with them was a breeze, I got them for a steal, and the install was a piece of cake.
I have however refit them 3 times now to get the ripples out of the side.
I perhaps should have just paid a pro to stretch fit them. They look great though.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Got E-mail that my TS seats have been shipped. Can't wait to try the TS seat. Also interested to see how the 'Black Widow' stitching in gold looks. .

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Did a 800km trip this week on the FZ8.

Well , the seat is better for comfort than the stock seat, but still get a really sore butt after a couple of hours especially from the front strip that is inserted in seat.. I got the long seat option but the rear butrest(where the seat rises) is in the way and i feel like i am cramped in a tight spot between the tank and seat back. In hindsight , i would have just kept the stock seat.

The seat quality is great, looks good and does provide more comfort (takes longer to get a sore a$$), but my butt was even more sore after the trip than the stock seat due to the way the front strip has ribs that dig into my inner thighs) but for the money spent, bah, should have just got some sheepskin.
P.S. I am 5'10" and 185 lbs.