Tool kit essentials

C

Camo

If you had to build a tool kit from scratch for the sole purpose of working on your bike, what do you have in it?
I used to just ride around a mates house and use all his gear but he moved interstate today so after 10 years of having everything + a mechanical genius at hand just down the road, I have to start to build my own tool kit:eek:

highoctane

Canyon Carver
I allways have a pair of vice grips. they have saved my ass a few times. broke a clutch cable once and operated the cable useing them

H

Hoover

3/8 drive Allen sockets (long shank)...metric
Short throw quality 3/8 ratchet
4" 3/8 drive wobble extention
6" #2 phillips screwdriver
3" #2 phillips screwdriver
6" flatblade
8mm through 19mm deep sockets.
10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17 and 19 mm combination wrenches (not gear wrenches)

hypo

and a hammer... you can never go wrong with a hammer. I have two, one deadfall and one claw.

OH and a block of wood just in case you have to use the claw and don't want to scratch or bang anything up.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I have a fold-out multi tool that I bought from CycleGear a while back it has al common allen key sizes as well as a 10mm-13mm wrench and even a few sockets and takes up about as much room as a iPhone. I feel fine with just that. The FZ8's motor is based on some pretty darn tried and true tech. I doubt I will need to ever use it. That being said, I am always conscious when modding my bike that I use standard factory hardware sizes so that if I needed to do a little roadside surgery the standard toolkit should be plenty.

I honestly think the smartest part for any toolkit you could have would be a centerstand.
:2cents:

SpunkyTheTuna

Absolutely a torque wrench. Can't accurately tighten things without a torque wrench. Been working on motorcycles for coming up on 45 years and learned a long, long time ago that my wrist can't be accurately calibrated in either inch/pounds, pounds/feet, or newton/figs.

mckshred

tire plug kit

Not that I recommend riding with a plug in your tire.............but.......
I picked up a nail in my brand new tire (like 200 miles on it) and was able to plug it, verify the plug was good and ride about 5 miles (slowly) to the shop for a tire replacement.

There was no way I was going to let anyone tow or touch 'my baby' when it was only a week old.

PS - Anyone need a rear tire ? Almost brand new...with a small plug? LOL!!!:eek:

Can any of you guys point me to a worthwhile, but not ridiculously priced torque wrench to use on the Fz?

D

Deleted member 438

Not that I recommend riding with a plug in your tire.............but.......
I picked up a nail in my brand new tire (like 200 miles on it) and was able to plug it, verify the plug was good and ride about 5 miles (slowly) to the shop for a tire replacement.

There was no way I was going to let anyone tow or touch 'my baby' when it was only a week old.

PS - Anyone need a rear tire ? Almost brand new...with a small plug? LOL!!!:eek:

Can any of you guys point me to a worthwhile, but not ridiculously priced torque wrench to use on the Fz?

I had to buy the biggest 3/4" clicker type from Sears to get the 150 Nm necessary for the rear axle. I know sometimes they are on sale for $79.99, so keep an eye out for that with Memorial Day coming up.

SpunkyTheTuna

I had to buy the biggest 3/4" clicker type from Sears to get the 150 Nm necessary for the rear axle. I know sometimes they are on sale for $79.99, so keep an eye out for that with Memorial Day coming up.

The biggest upside of Sears tools is that if you bork one, they don't care how and they'll replace it. I used to have a Harley shop back in the day. We used Craftsman starter wrenches to tighten the base nuts on old Harley engines. The torque setting was as tight as you could get them with a starter wrench and a three pound hammer. Needless to say, we went through a ton of starter wrenches treating them that way. The only thing the Sears guys ever said was to ask us how many of them we needed them to keep in stock since we were breaking on the average of one or two a week. They didn't care that we'd bought like two wrenches and replaced them a dozen times; all they cared about was keeping enough in stock that we'd have the tools we needed.

Been buying Sears tools ever since.

lyric911

The biggest upside of Sears tools is that if you bork one, they don't care how and they'll replace it. I used to have a Harley shop back in the day. We used Craftsman starter wrenches to tighten the base nuts on old Harley engines. The torque setting was as tight as you could get them with a starter wrench and a three pound hammer. Needless to say, we went through a ton of starter wrenches treating them that way. The only thing the Sears guys ever said was to ask us how many of them we needed them to keep in stock since we were breaking on the average of one or two a week. They didn't care that we'd bought like two wrenches and replaced them a dozen times; all they cared about was keeping enough in stock that we'd have the tools we needed.

Been buying Sears tools ever since.

Torque wrenches are not officially covered under the same guarantee as other Craftsman tools. Just FYI if somebody is thinking of buying one and using it as a breaker bar or something.

D

Deleted member 438

lyric911, you're right. The clicker types have a 90 day warranty, and the old school type with the dial is still lifetime.

H

Hoover

Get a tool guy.
You do not to be in the trade to have one.
Just make friends at a local repair shop/body shop and find out what day their tool guy comes.
Just be there when he is and he will sign you up.
I have been buying Matco tools at shop prices for years this way.
Mac, Snap-On and Matco are desperate for customers. If you have decent credit, they will take you on.
I have even called my Matco rep on a weekend for a certain tool and he has come through.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
Get a tool guy.
You do not to be in the trade to have one.
Just make friends at a local repair shop/body shop and find out what day their tool guy comes.
Just be there when he is and he will sign you up.
I have been buying Matco tools at shop prices for years this way.
Mac, Snap-On and Matco are desperate for customers. If you have decent credit, they will take you on.
I have even called my Matco rep on a weekend for a certain tool and he has come through.

Yup, have to say that is one of the things I miss most about having my shop. Well, that and parts delivery. One of the nice things about going through your local tool truck guy also is that you get to help support a small local business.