Tire Pressure

Jacek3743

I'm trying to find a good tire pressure people are running on but honestly, can't find like a good solid review of what they feel is best so...

What tire pressure are you running and what do you like about it?

JSP

Administrator
For the best compromise between tire life and MPG, stick with the recommended PSI. For a little better grip for more spirited riding, I will drop the PSI a couple pounds...

Jacek3743

i've read somewhere that the stock pressure actually causes the bike to slip out. I have no clue. gotta check it out I guess

reALIGNed

i've read somewhere that the stock pressure actually causes the bike to slip out. I have no clue. gotta check it out I guess

check it out?????? :eatcorn:, how??, btw, stick to the oem suggestions, too high or too low will effect how the tire contacts the ground, premature wear,etc., etc. If you want maximum grip (from any tire brand), allow it to reach operating temperatures first.

slowkey

Stock pressures are too hard. Ran stock pressure for the first month and the bike did not feel comfortable. Now run 32/30 and the bike handles much better.

reALIGNed

Your tires feel better, because you have increased the contact patch to the ground,...however, on a hot summer day, check the temperature of your tires (the rubber), too much heat build up (from low air psi, causing drag), is not good on the inner chords and side walls of the tire carcass. And with an improprely inflated tire, (low psi), you can encounter sidewall flex, while leaning into a turn. The mfgr. gives a psi value for safety and tread life...........but they can't please everyone.

Jacek3743

check it out?????? :eatcorn:, how??, btw, stick to the oem suggestions, too high or too low will effect how the tire contacts the ground, premature wear,etc., etc. If you want maximum grip (from any tire brand), allow it to reach operating temperatures first.

Well I was gonna do a test run on suggested psi and a little lower to see how it feels and handles but I guess what you said makes sense. I was just curious what others would say since on a different forum, I read on people having huge differences in psi between each other.

Tiffy

Guys, check your insurance policy before running on anything other than OEM settings. If you stuff in and the rozzers check your tyres and they are not up to spec you may not be able to claim.

pigdog

Ive dropped 2 and 3 psi before. with this suspension being what it is, if it makes the bike feel more planted then it makes perfect sense to drop a little pressure.just don't go crazy with it.

Rotaryknight

I set my front at stock 36psi, but lowered the rear to 38. With the rear at stock 43psi it was too skittish over the small bumps here in the city when I brake with the rear, its also more planted on 38 psi.

master paper clip

A lot of the old members that used to be on here suggested running 3 lbs under the recommend because mfg settings made the tires 2 hard, I run 35/40 every day and will drop the rear to 38 If I go to the track

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
36 and 42. Feels the best for me. Any less and it doesn't turn in the way I like. Seems to fight me when I want to lean.

seanosfz8

pressure advice

I spoke to a motorcycle mechanic, he recommended 35 and 38. I like the feel of this. I go back to stock when riding 2 up, with a 9 stone passenger.

toothycardus

i run the stock psi and keep riding until they feel weird by then they are around the 30/36 then i pump them back to 36/42psi

mckshred

tire psi

• Took the Lee Parks Total Control Class and the instructor recommended 32/35.
  • Went to the track and the Bridgestone rep said 32/28 for stock/bt-016's.
  • Most track day organizers advise 32/30.
I run the 32/35 psi on my Michelin Pilot Power 3's with Race Tech aftermarket suspension. No issues and very good performance and feel. All personal opinion.......

pigdog

just an observation, in the case of hardtails, tire pressure is your suspension. get it wrong & your in for a sore back.

troublemaker

The specs of the tire pressure

I run 36 fronts and 42 rear. I have played around with a bit of the pressure and found that going up a psi front or rear is ok for me. I dont like to have the tires feel floaty or bouncing. Plus I check my pressure every other day. Or if I havent riden in a week or couple days I would check before as well.

And I bought this tool called the wheel jockey best tool for checking tire pressure least for me. My tire pressure is factory specs. I am trying to see how long the stocks tires last.

slowkey

I been running 32/34 pretty much since I go the bike and I got 16,000km (10,000 miles) out of the stock tires.