Tire Pressure - don't beleive it unless you see it

hypo

My wife has been searching for an upgrade for her 500 Ninja for a few months now. She finally found one about 3 hours away and after some negotiations, we set the date for her to go check it out and probably bring it home.

Bike was in GORGEOUS condition. overly loud exhaust (Jardine) all the fluid levels were good, throttle play was good, aftermarket screen, and a sexy hugger.

I had the tire pressure gauge in the car next to my meter. During our discussion he mentioned that he had it on the trickle charger so he wouldn't be embarassed with it not starting on game day... (MAJOR RED FLAG) I should have noted that... plus the fact that its a 2007 with less than 2000 miles on it... it cranked right up and my wifes grin was all I needed to see to know we'd be taking it home tonite.

she rode it 206 miles door to door with a stop for gas and she said it handled really REALLY heavy. steering was ass. vibrations were kinda funky and the seat made her sweat (it was only 97 degrees that day... <eyeroll> ) so we went back out to the garage because she wanted to take it around the school parking lot and get used to the different handlebar setup to see if she wanted risers or adjust them, etc... she took out the tire pressure gauge and slapped it on the rear tire:

"this things broken, where is the one with the needle."
"honey, thats brand new, we've only had it for 4 months, whats it say?" (its one of those digital ones with a voice as well as meter)
"no way. it says 15 pounds.." she uses the needle one "holy shit...."
she then checks the front tire... "11 pounds..."

YEAH no wonder the steering was ass.

ALWAYS CHECK TIRE PRESSURE. just cuz it looks pretty, doesn't mean its in top condition to go riding!

:tard:

200 freakin miles on under inflated tires.

SCARY

beefcake morris

I am glad she is ok as well. This very same thing happend to my buddy that just bought a 2008 FZ6, just like the condition of your wifes.

I went through the whole bike, changing brake fluids, oil, coolant, and cleaning the chain. Went to check the tire pressure front had 20 and the rear had 22.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i'm not sure i'd ever plan on riding a used bike home. i'd pick it up with my truck, take it home and go over every inch.

glad she didn't dump it though...very glad.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
i'm not sure i'd ever plan on riding a used bike home. i'd pick it up with my truck, take it home and go over every inch.

glad she didn't dump it though...very glad.

I have to admit, I am kind of the same way. When I used to work on cars I would see all manner of do-it-yourself engineering. It's bad enough in a car, but with a bike I like to be clinical about it. Loc-tite and a torque wrench are my two best friends. :D

highoctane

Canyon Carver
A Good day could have turned bad, certain things you take for granted.
I am really glad nothing happened. I will keep that in mind and is a good reminder to all of us. I bet she likes it now!

C

Camo

Damn that was lucky!!
Well I hope aside from flat rubber, it's a good purchase for her :)