Tips on Replacing Air Filter

Gem rod

My bike is the FZ8S (Faired Version). I already removed the LHS and RHS black trim that sits on top of the fairing and goes around the clocks. That's easy to do just by removing some fixings and these two plastic 'press in' clips near the clocks.

Removing one bolt either side of the fairing allows you to remove the bolts holding in the top plastic tank cover. You need to remove this to access the two front tank bolts.

The cover once removed looks like this.

[/URL][/IMG]

No need to remove any other parts of the fairing. See photo below.

[/URL][/IMG]

Remove the rear seat using bike key. Remove front seat. Do this by peeling back seat foam to reveal two bolts. The seat front then comes straight off.

[/URL][/IMG]

Once the two tank bolts have been removed at the front of the tank the tank will then lift up from the front on it's hinge. It does not need to be lifted much to access the filter. It helps if you have a garage that has wooden beams to suspend the tank in position!

[/URL][/IMG]

Remove all 11 (yes 11!) air filter box screws.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Carefully wriggle the cover out. The job is done.

[/URL][/IMG]

No more screws to remove.

Here is my dirty filter after 6700 miles and 2 years of riding!

[/URL][/IMG]

I intend just to replace it with a standard filter. Not sure if any other more expensive filter is worth it but I'm sure others may have views on that.

Gem rod

Every little bit helps as they say :cool:

The other interesting bit is how crappy the filter has become after only 2 years and low mileage. Not sure what the manual says but maybe changing after 1 year is a good idea.

reALIGNed

One advantage to an aftermarket air filter (K&N) is it can be used over and over once properly cleaned, it my also trap more dirt and have a better micron rating than oem filters.

9 Lives

Just some UFI about air filters. Take note of the K&N ranking in the first and last test (basically how well the filter does its primary job, to filter the air). They are although ranked #1 for the least amount of flow restriction, if that's what your after.

The following data is provided by Testand Corp. in Rhode Island. Testand makes the $285,000 machines that perform the SAE J726/ISO 5011 air filter test standard. Any air filter that wants to be tested for performance and efficiency uses this test. These tests cost $1,700 per filter when done by an independent laboratory. Testand Corp. was interested in the comparison study and agreed to do the study for us.

Every filter listed was tested in an identical manner according to the SAE/ISO test standard; Here are the results:

In the order of EFFICIENCY (ability to filter dirt) the results are as follows:

FILTER % EFFICIENCY

AC Delco OE 99.93%
Baldwin paper 99.72%
No name pargain paper 99.32%
AFE Pro Guard 7 panel filter 99.23%
WIX/Napa Gold 99.03%
Purolator paper 98.73%
Amsoil, new style 98.63%
UNI 97.93%
K&N 96.80%

FLOW RESTRICTION from best to worst. Remember, 27.7 inches of water = 1 psi. So, 1 inch of water = .036 psi. The worst (AC Delco) at 6.23 in. water and the best (K&N) at 4.54 in. water is a difference of 1.69 in. of water or a "whopping" .0608 psi. Virtually negligible.

In order from least restricive to most:

FILTER RESTRICTION in inches of water

K&N 4.54
Mystery bargain 4.78
AFE Pro Guard 4.99
Purolator 5.05
WIX/Napa Gold 5.06
UNI 5.40
Baldwin 5.71
Amsoil 5.88
AC Delco 6.23

DIRT HOLDING CAPACITY. From best to worst. This is the AMOUNT of test dirt it took to create an ADDITIONAL 10 inches of restriction. At that point the test is terminated. This is an indication of HOW LONG a filter is good before it must be cleaned or replaced.

FILTER Dirt Holding Capacity

AC Delco 573.898 grams
WIX/Napa Gold 447.366 g
Purolator 388.659 g
Baldwin 388.154 g
UNI 374.638 g
Mystery bargain 350.402 g
AFE Pro Guard 7 232.516 g
K&N 211.580 g
Amsoil 196.323 g

TOTAL DIRT PASSING THE FILTER DURING THE TEST. This is how much dirt your engine will take in if you use the filter for the duration that would cause the filter to become "dirty" enough to need replacement or cleaning. The "Dirt Passing The Filter" is the dirt collected by the "POST FILTER" during the SAE/ISO test.

In order from best to worst, the filters performed as follows:

FILTER DIRT IN GRAMS PASSED

AC Delco 0.4g
Baldwin 1.1g
AFE Pro Guard 7 1.8g
Mystery bargain 2.4g
Amsoil 2.7g
WIX/Napa Gold 4.4g
Purolator 5.0g
K&N 6.0g
UNI 7

Fazerboy66

So are we suggesting here that its a good idea to replace the airfilter once a year even if your only doing very low milage?

Fazerboy66

In answer to my own question here, yes I would recommend replacing oil and filter, Air filter yearly. Ive only done 2,000 miles last year and my air filter looks like the one above.
It can't do any harm can it?

Bagman

Can changing an air filter do any harm? Hecks NO! Sarcastically, the only harm is to your wallet and any damage you may cause to the bike by removing all those bits yearly to change it.

Gem rod

Can changing an air filter do any harm? Hecks NO! Sarcastically, the only harm is to your wallet and any damage you may cause to the bike by removing all those bits yearly to change it.

I totally agree. Filters are fairly cheap. If you have the non-faired version then the whole job is slightly easier since you do not have to remove the black plastic ledges that fit all the way around the clocks. (See below).

However you still have the seat to remove, the tank to unbolt then suspend, and finally those 11 painful air box cover screws to remove.

By the way that bit of plastic that sits on top of the tank was a pain to click back into position. Replacing the air filter on an FZ8 takes time and needs a little care.

Last edited:

Teslank

my air filter is just like the one you showed to us, and you know what? i wont replace it, not before it is blocked by road "glue" like that, at least 60% and still im sure it wont remove 1% of power :)

Gem rod

my air filter is just like the one you showed to us, and you know what? i wont replace it, not before it is blocked by road "glue" like that, at least 60% and still im sure it wont remove 1% of power :)

It's not the power loss that is the concern. It is what gets sucked up into the injectors. That is what the air filter is there for.

Bagman

It's not the power loss that is the concern. It is what gets sucked up into the injectors. That is what the air filter is there for.

Exactly. That's why I let my air filter get so dirty that it blocks everything from getting through. Then the air filter has reached 100% efficiency! ;) hehe.

Fazerboy66

Guys, any suggestions on holding the tank up if you dont have a garage or access to a garage?

I've found that the only way to access the air filter withoug having to hold the tank up is to take the tank bolt out completely. Carefully remove the two electronic plugs by the fuel pump and sit the tank sideways on the frame.
Its not ideal but at least you can then get to all 11 screws on the air filter case.

if i get time i'm gonna do a photo how to for this and changing the pads. watch this space...

Gem rod

Guys, any suggestions on holding the tank up if you dont have a garage or access to a garage?

I've found that the only way to access the air filter withoug having to hold the tank up is to take the tank bolt out completely. Carefully remove the two electronic plugs by the fuel pump and sit the tank sideways on the frame.
Its not ideal but at least you can then get to all 11 screws on the air filter case.

That is the next best thing if there is nothing to prop up the tank with. Provided that the tank connections unplug easy.

Fazerboy66

I guess it is, i'm doing all my servicing on the street, which is no mean feat. It means running out no the street with all the tools for job, and not leaving the bike unatteded for too long in case someone pinches your tools!

FYI: the plugs on the bottom of the tank are clip lock plugs so dont try to force them off with a screwdriver! Also make a note of which plug goes in which socket! you don't want to replace all the cowlings and covers only to find you've got the plugs the wrong way round!

Fazerboy66

sirdyza

To hold the tank up I used 3 paint mixers (the smaller size of the two) from Home Depot taped together to stiffen up the wood. I just put the K&N air filter in a couple of weeks ago on my 2013.