the r6 and r1

packnrat

been looking for a great used fz8 (would rather have new)..none out there.
but it looks like every body is dumping there "r" bikes...for anything else?

makes me wonder what is up is there a problem with this family of bikes?

???????????

C

Camo

I don't personally see anyone dumping their R1's or R6's for anything other than a newer model or the new Kwaka 10.
Most who ride the 'R' bikes are either spending time at the track or are just sportbike enthusiasts. I'm guessing the only other reason for moving away from the R's would be for the comfort of a more upright ride?

There's a myriad of little quirks to all Yamaha's in my opinion. Nothing that can't be modded out if you are that way inclined.
I've all but settled on trading my FZ8 in on a Speed Triple for the lack of interest in throwing time and money at the FZ8 to improve the shortfalls of the bike.
Just trying to find the right S3.

lothodon

Super Moderator
I'm guessing the only other reason for moving away from the R's would be for the comfort of a more upright ride?

My last two were R1's and that is exactly why I went to the FZ8. Would have loved a Ducati Monster but I've been a Yamaha guy for quite some time and there are no Ducati dealers anywhere near me.

FZER

Avid Rider
A friend at work has a duke 1100 evomonster that bike is cool. I recently heard a new r1 with an aftermarket exhaust and I have to say it was the greatest sounding bike I've heard ever! Seriously there's something about that cross plane injection! Unbelievable sound!

C

Camo

I was at my local dealer earlier in the week and saw a guy pick up his new R1 with a full akra system..I agree, very nice sound.
Just saw my post in this thread haha, there will be no Speed triple. Am throwing money at the 8 as nobody wants to give a decent trade in on our bikes. I paid nearly 13k for mine and they wanted to give me 6 or 7k trade in with 4500km's on the clock and not a mark anywhere.
They also wanted upwards of 13k for 2007 triples that didn't appear to be well looked after or far from stock.

Edit: Also, think I'll hang onto the FZ8 for a few years until the new Aprillia TuonoV4's are going cheaply in the second hand market ;p

Last edited:

DHeiss618

Hey guys Last year I sold my 2010 R1 after putting about 7k on it. By far the best sounding/handling bike I've ever been around. I switched over to the FZ8 for comfort. I put over 500 miles on the FZ8 within the first 2 days of having it. 500 miles on the R1 would have made not want to ride for weeks.

Here is my 2008 R6 I had prior. Traded this for the R1 with 26k on the clock.

master paper clip

Omg how could u sell that beautiful white r1, would do some horrible things for one of them, I originally wanted a cbr600 but Honda wouldn't approve me and my girl together, I picked the fz8 100% based on looks, knew nothing about the bike not even the name till I read the card, was an impulse buy and was the best one to date

cpatt

Omg how could u sell that beautiful white r1, would do some horrible things for one of them, I originally wanted a cbr600 but Honda wouldn't approve me and my girl together, I picked the fz8 100% based on looks, knew nothing about the bike not even the name till I read the card, was an impulse buy and was the best one to date

did the same thing. my buell wouldnt start one day... and well here we are with a fz8 cuz it was purty.

DHeiss618

The bike was a beast.. Got to the point on the bike where I wasn't scared of it anymore. With that much power, it's a bad thing... Friends started to not want to ride, because I loved using the power. So I was about to switch it into a track bike, but I got a job in Cleveland. All highways. Nothing fun to ride, so with better judgment, I sold it. I thought buying my WRX and modding it up would keep me away from the bike.. Got a job back in PA.. Twisty's everywhere. FZ8 in the driveway a week later.

master paper clip

The bike was a beast.. Got to the point on the bike where I wasn't scared of it anymore. With that much power, it's a bad thing... Friends started to not want to ride, because I loved using the power. So I was about to switch it into a track bike, but I got a job in Cleveland. All highways. Nothing fun to ride, so with better judgment, I sold it. I thought buying my WRX and modding it up would keep me away from the bike.. Got a job back in PA.. Twisty's everywhere. FZ8 in the driveway a week later.

Lmao.... I want an r1 so bad, but that's a big bike and I'm in no rush, a modded wax sounds pretty damn sweet on some mountain roads... But the 8 is fun to just chew threw miles on, I randomly take rides and end up like 3 hrs from home completely by accident

mckshred

I've all but settled on trading my FZ8 in on a Speed Triple for the lack of interest in throwing time and money at the FZ8 to improve the shortfalls of the bike.
Just trying to find the right S3.

I've got a buddy who has a Triumph 1080 SP3. I look at it and see all my aftermarket parts are stock on his, plus adjustable suspension and brembo brakes. 'Hmmmmmmmmmmm'...... We haven't swapped bikes yet, but we've talked about it. I'm definitely wanting to ride it more and more to see whats different between the bikes.