Taking a long trip - any advice?

Larry P

Hey FZ8'ers. Taking a 600 mile trek into Kentucky. Meeting some friends up there for a weekend, so being able to ride there is just a bonus. I've never done this many miles in a day before, so I'm looking for some critiquing as far as my route and plan goes. Route: http://goo.gl/maps/UnLb1 This is a one day trip, can't break it into anything else. I'd much rather take an extra 2 hours to hit non interstate for a good few legs of this. I know nothing of anything north of Florida as far as traffic, places to avoid, etc. There really won't be time to sight see, as time is short. I'm travelling with another rider (duc 848 streetfighter) so I'm covered there. Planning on leaving at 7am.

Questions I have- I have stops for fuel every 100-150 miles. Its about 2 hours of saddle time which might be pushing it. We're both experienced riders and have done trips before, just not this long. Does that sound reasonable?

I know nothing about these little towns I'm riding through. Checked street view and doesn't seem like a bad idea. Staying on interstate through major cities though. If there's better bypasses than the ones I took I'd love to hear about them.

I'm good on luggage, 46L top case and soft panniers + tank bag.

I just picked up a bikemaster 12v lighter power adapter for my phone but a bit torn on where to put it. It has quick disconnects so I can mount it under either seat or run it into the headlight cluster. I have a mount for my phone on the handlebar which would be handy to just plug in next to it. If anybody has some suggestions on where else would be convenient I'm all ears. The topcase has a cutout in the bottom to allow the adaptor into it, but then I have to stop and go into the luggage to get it. Handlebar seems like best solution but I dont like all the wires and stuff on my dash.

If anybody knows some good scenery by lake Kentucky let me know, planning on exploring a bit. Any other input is welcome, I like being prepared!

decooney

Just did a long 3 day haul with a buddy. I had padded gel shorts on and nice padded gloves. He did not. During the last few hours he really started complaining about soreness, not being able sit on the bike any longer, and numb hands. Gel padded bike shorts and nice padded gloves really helped me. Also, we reconfirmed to ourselves it's always easy to add/remove layers when it gets cold and hot in the same day. Also, be sure to bring a cloth and a little water sprayer to clean bugs off your helmet face shield during fuel stops. The simple stuff usually gets forgotten over the technical stuff.

tzortn

Pillion
I just picked up a bikemaster 12v lighter power adapter for my phone but a bit torn on where to put it. It has quick disconnects so I can mount it under either seat or run it into the headlight cluster. I have a mount for my phone on the handlebar which would be handy to just plug in next to it. If anybody has some suggestions on where else would be convenient I'm all ears. The topcase has a cutout in the bottom to allow the adaptor into it, but then I have to stop and go into the luggage to get it. Handlebar seems like best solution but I dont like all the wires and stuff on my dash.

I am with you on not liking all kinds of wires and stuff on the dash. I bought a Battery Tender harness ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376429756&sr=8-3&keywords=battery+tender]Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug: Automotive[/ame]) and hooked it up to the battery terminals. I can use it to plug in my trickle charger or a 12V receptical ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-8-Cigarette-Disconnect/dp/B0041CDPQO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1376429756&sr=8-9&keywords=battery+tender]Battery Tender 081-0069-8 Female Cigarette Adaptor for Quick Disconnect : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]). I keep in under the passenger seat unless I need it. If I need it I can just run the cord under the seat. It worked well for the last long trip I took. You just have to remember to unplug everything when you stop for a long period of time so it doesn't drain your battery.

master paper clip

Move, any body part u can move do it, especially your arms and butt... People biggest problem is they jump on and go, I've easily done about 3 hrs of solid riding on the stock seat with little discomfort, every 10min of solid riding I just shake my arms and wrist out an move my butt around a little on the seat... This is most important cause nothing kills a ride like a sore ass

thach1130

I did the same as above. However the battery tender is placed under the passenger seat and the 12v socket is mounted to the handlebar with the wire running inside the bike back toward the passenger seat. That way while riding the socket is connected to the battery tender wire to power the socket and when i'm off i can connect the battery tender to a battery maintainer

Positive of this wiring is you can mount a Garmin Nuvi 765 on the handlebar. The nuvi have headset capability so you can stream music/navigation instruction to your helmet.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing you are and tap into the rear license plate light under the seat to add a socket within my top case. That way if i hit rain i can store everything in my top case and still have it power everything.

Last edited:

Marthy

No big secret here. Build up some miles the 2-3 weeks before you leave. Event if they are short ride... mileage up. That will get your body use to the wind and your bumm use to the seat.

You should be able to go true the first tank pretty easy. As the day go by take more frequent brakes if you feel like it. Back road are a bit more easy since you're not cruising at 80MPH all the time, on a naked ride... it's important.

Other than that you seem to have it all cover. Throttle lock and camel pack would be the only thing that I will suggest you. Most of those throttle lock don't work great but they work long enough so you can let the throttle go for 10-20 sec and put some blood back in there. LOL Some Gatorade in the camel pack is a must. Keep sipping thru the day. If you feel thirsty... that mean you are getting dehydrated. Don't wait that long... little sip every 15-20 minutes will keep you well.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Hey FZ8'ers. Taking a 600 mile trek into Kentucky. Meeting some friends up there for a weekend, so being able to ride there is just a bonus. I've never done this many miles in a day before, so I'm looking for some critiquing as far as my route and plan goes. Route: http://goo.gl/maps/UnLb1 This is a one day trip, can't break it into anything else. I'd much rather take an extra 2 hours to hit non interstate for a good few legs of this. I know nothing of anything north of Florida as far as traffic, places to avoid, etc. There really won't be time to sight see, as time is short. I'm travelling with another rider (duc 848 streetfighter) so I'm covered there. Planning on leaving at 7am.

Questions I have- I have stops for fuel every 100-150 miles. Its about 2 hours of saddle time which might be pushing it. We're both experienced riders and have done trips before, just not this long. Does that sound reasonable?

I know nothing about these little towns I'm riding through. Checked street view and doesn't seem like a bad idea. Staying on interstate through major cities though. If there's better bypasses than the ones I took I'd love to hear about them.

I'm good on luggage, 46L top case and soft panniers + tank bag.

If anybody knows some good scenery by lake Kentucky let me know, planning on exploring a bit. Any other input is welcome, I like being prepared!

Do yourself a favor and grab one of these:

CrampBuster (Single) - BikeBandit.com

Personally, I have this one and it works great.

I have ridden 300 miles in one day and it keeps my hand from cramping up.

Larry P

Thanks for the advice fellow riders. I've seen the cramp buster throttle locks before but not sure how I feel about something like that on my throttle. Do you just lay your wrist on it or what? Camelpack is a great idea, I have one so i'll put it to good use because I'm always thirsty. I do have an air hawk seat to sit on which always helps the longer days. I really hope I'm not too tired to finish the last leg of the trip which is some nice backroad goodness. I'm planning on taking an extra stop or two for stretching, I'm sure i'll need it. Somebody mentioned to me something about gel bike shorts, anybody have some input on that?

decooney

Somebody mentioned to me something about gel bike shorts, anybody have some input on that?

Hi Larry,
I mentioned it above. I use Fox Moto padded protective gel shorts with gel padding for my dirt bikes/dual sports and tried them once on my FZ8. Worked great. It helps take the edge of off a sore rump on a long ride on a stock FZ8 seat.

Also, someone else mentioned working up to it. I did a few pre-runs at 200 miles a piece before I did my long ride. It does help to build up a tolerance a bit before making a long ride.

Kardiac996

you could try the Vista cruise system as well. Its a friction throttle lock to allow for some resting of the throttle hand for long rides.

I found it to be awesome on those long high way stretches. Gotta be careful though as you can imagine. Typically I dont enable it unless im kinda alone in traffic for obvious reasons.

TorontoAlex

My girlfriend just got the padded shorts. That combined with airhawk has made the passenger seat tolerable enough for 250 km rides and probably more. Greatest improvement for me was getting rid of jeans and using joe rocket 12.0 pants. New top sellerie seat and i hope i can do 8 hr days no prob.

Marthy

you could try the Vista cruise system as well. Its a friction throttle lock to allow for some resting of the throttle hand for long rides.

I found it to be awesome on those long high way stretches. Gotta be careful though as you can imagine. Typically I dont enable it unless im kinda alone in traffic for obvious reasons.

I had the Vista cruise and I constantly had to stop to adjust the tension on it so it hold the throttle steady. End up trashing it and using this one. No tools required... Some people add a ziptie to add pressure but i never had too.

Go Cruise Throttle Control - webBikeWorld

Don't be worry about those throttle lock. If you need to shut the throttle you just close the throttle and it reset the cruise control. Not like you need a pipe wrench to loosing it up! LOL Totally safe. It's just nice to have one to hold the throttle once in a while to relax your hand and harm. I use the cramp buster too. Some people don't like it because it get's in the way. It never bother me.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Thanks for the advice fellow riders. I've seen the cramp buster throttle locks before but not sure how I feel about something like that on my throttle. Do you just lay your wrist on it or what?

Pretty much. You position it so that when you are cruising at a constant speed that its parallel with the positioning of your hand. It keeps the right side of your hand from cramping up. Also you are free to move your fingers around when necessary because your palm has control of the throttle.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
TorontoAlex,
The Top Sellerie seat makes a remarkable difference then 'eh? Does it feel like you are sitting on a cushy cruiser seat?

I wouldn't say it feels like a cushy cruiser seat, but it feels like a wider seat with some cushion. It sits further back than the stock seat and you don't feel like you are constantly sliding towards the tank. I can easily ride through a tank full (140ish miles) and feel fine.

Rotaryknight

I too am taking a long trip next week for my vacation. Riding up to Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Its about 800 miles there and back, longest I ever will ride. I have a Rapid trasit 19 tank bag along with a chase harper 5400 cr2 tail bag.

I rewired a usb cigarette lighter convertor to charge my phone and cameras when I am riding. I also have this to charge my other equipments http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/powerlet-cigarette-socket-battery-leads-standard-duty-10-amp which I ziptied to the handle bars.

Last edited:

ssky0078

1. Cramp buster
2. Mophie battery pack for your phone. I could make about 3 days on full charge of Mophie and full iPhone 5. I put the phone on airplane mode when I was riding so I could still listen to my music. Forget about messing with your bike wiring. The airplane mode doesn't drain the battery as fast. Mophie will also charge a GoPro in about a half hour.
3. Take a break every 100 miles and just get gas. I would do that I'm about 1 hour and fifteen to hour and half. I usually stand and ride for a mile about every 30 miles.
4. Don't wear a backpack. Sound like you already have the luggage sorted. I did put a camelback bladder in my tank bag so I could stay hydrated and that's very helpful. I was inspired by tri-athletes water bottles
5. A 300 mile day is an easy day. A 450+ day is pushing my comfort level.
6. Have your wet weather scenario planned. I kept my jacket liner in the back protector pouch of my Dainese Air Flux Jacket and just put the cover on my tank bag.
7. Stay in a hotel if you need. I had a rule to always finish a day by 6. If I wasn't at my camp site then I would just get a hotel room.
8. Have fun

I just put in a 1800 mile trip through western colorado and AZ in 6 days. Life in two wheels is amazing

p.s. Ohh and if you carry a gun don't carry extra clips. That shit is heavy. FYI I stayed in bear country, hence the gun.

Last edited: