swingarm tread ruined ...

Nemo

I bought some cheap spool from ebay ... i tight them a bit to hard , when i tried to remove them , the bolt was kind of stuck in there . i tryed to hard , the bolt splited in half and got stuck into the swing arm :(

i had to drill it to be able to remove it from there , but now the tread are completly ruined ...

can i drill 7mm and tap 8mm ?? do u think its a bad thing to oversize that hole ?

Nemo

going to remove the swingarm this winter and bring it to the machinist near my place ... 200 $ to get the tap out of there and hes going to put a sleeve pressfit and do a new holes with treads ...

DanS

Commuter
That sucks Nemo :mad:
That's a tricky job to remove the broken tap. You could try a very small carbide burr in a high speed die grinder to grind it out if you have the tools and a steady hand, if not then you are probably best off taking it to a machinist.

pigdog

oh come on, you guys never heard of tap extractors? walton tap extractors makes 3 & 4 flute extractors in every size. the 3 0r 4 fingers expand & contract for a perfect fit into the broken tap & all you do is wiggle the tool back & forth & slowly the broken tap will back out. wd40 & a wack with a hammer gets things started. that's all i got.
walton company
west hartford ct. 06133

pigdog

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/ew_lwpigdog/media/20140610_233042_zps7brl6wah.jpg.html

pigdog

once the tap is extracted i like to use a left handed drill bit to finish the job. most of the time the broken thread backs itself out while drilling. don't forget penetrating oil of your choice.