Stripped oil plug hole

ridingtiger

I accidently over-torqued the oil plug and stripped the threads in the oil pan. I'm wondering which is easier (and maybe cheaper): have the pan rethreaded or simply change the pan (strainer cover assembly, part # 39P-13400-00-00)? I figure they have to take off the oil pan to rethread it anyway. Pan is worth 110$. Any thoughts?

Marthy

Ah, Taber... !!! LOL

Just get or order an helicoil kit and a oil pan gasket. Pull the oil pan out and fix the thread... Sucks but fixable.

socal

if wanna do it right get a pan you'll have no issues. if want a quick fix until you do it again tap it bigger

tzortn

Pillion
Ah, Taber... !!! LOL

Just get or order an helicoil kit and a oil pan gasket. Pull the oil pan out and fix the thread... Sucks but fixable.

I agree.

If the only the treads are stripped and the pan is not cracked I would just Helicoil it.

This is done all the time in much higher load applications like cylinder blocks.

JSP

Administrator
I've seen helicoils back out on more than one occasion when you go to take the bolt back out again.

tzortn

Pillion
Another thing to consider is a keyed insert. They are more durable if there is enough material in the pan for one. I have seen cases where people installed keyed inserts after having a heli-coil come loose.

9 Lives

Another thing to consider is a keyed insert. They are more durable if there is enough material in the pan for one. I have seen cases where people installed keyed inserts after having a heli-coil come loose.

If you use a keensert AKA keyed insert, make sure you use sealant on the pins and treads or the oil may leak past them.