Strange Days in MotoGP

C

Camo

His dislike of the new CRT bikes has been given more airtime. Indeed it was their imminent arrival that prompted his first mention of retirement, at Valencia last year. “If MotoGP’s not prototypes then I’ll be out of here,” he said. “I’m not interested in the slightest in racing modified production bikes. That should be the league you work your way through to get where we are. It’s like Formula 1 switching to touring cars.”

I'd never looked at it like that before. The more I think about it, the more I see his point.
The point made about the moto 2&3 guys being banished from the motorhome city was always going to cause upheaval.
I don't understand why they'd treat the future of their sport with such contempt.
Strange days indeed, thanks for the link Cal

lothodon

Super Moderator
Agreed, good read, but not very good news.

I also see the point about the CRT teams. They will never EVER compete with the prototype bikes and are just in the way when getting lapped (as in LeMans).

I have a friend that raced motocross for Monster and Suzuki and he's mentioned that even local stuff is becoming HUGE money. The old bike on the back of a pickup has turned into $100,000 campers and trailers and the small time racer has NO chance, just like the CRT teams.

I don't have a solution of course, but if they keep up like they are MotoGP is going to fade away VERY quickly....and I'd not miss it if they don't change some things quick. The high dollar paddock for one.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Maybe I'm wrong, but Ben has looked burnt out for several weeks. Something's been going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

C

Camo

Rossi Returns!

Yup, two year contract! Crazy.
I wonder if he'll return to the Rossi of old or will he struggle?

Anyone heard anything about who's jumping on the Ducati? Nicky is staying on isn't he?

lothodon

Super Moderator
nicky is staying, the second ride is yet to be spoken for. the strongest rumor is cal crutchlow last i heard.

C

Camo

I heard that a few Gp's ago when the Rossi move was just speculation. Is the Duc going to be a move forward for Crutchlow? Id like to see him do well next year...

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Yup, two year contract! Crazy.
I wonder if he'll return to the Rossi of old or will he struggle?

Anyone heard anything about who's jumping on the Ducati? Nicky is staying on isn't he?

Hayden signed a new one year contract with Ducati right before Laguna Seca.

C

Camo

I think Dorna will control the advertising and PR stuff for both SBK and MotoGp but both will remain as separate entities.