Stolen Bike: Bad News, Good News

Ivy33

Bad News: So I wake up yesterday morning to go for a ride and find that my motorcycle has been stolen. :(

Good News: Four hours after I called it in as stolen, the police call me and tell me that it has been found on the side of a road about 10 miles from my house. When I went to pick it up it looked like it had been thrown out of a moving vehicle (I'm assuming a van). The left frameslider took the brunt of the damage. The left turn signal, footpeg, shifter, bottom left fairing, left pillion, left mirror, all scratched, cracked or bent. The ignition switch was broken too.

My theory is that they ditched it because I have a noisy Xena lock on the wheel that goes off whenever it is touched or moved. It doesn't seem like they were pros and they couldn't get the thing to stay quiet so after about 10 miles they wanted it gone.

In any event I'm FZ8-less for at least a few weeks while it gets fixed up so I will have to live through all of you until I'm back on the road again.

All of you ride safe and lock em up tight when you are done.

H

Hoover

That freaking sucks mate.
I keep mine outside my apt with a Krypo U-lock on the rear wheel and an Abus disk lock on the front. My cover has a masterlock and steel line through the grommets. The first thing I do every morning is look out of my window and check it's still there.
Hope you are up and running soon.

lothodon

Super Moderator
in a locked garage with no outside handle on the garage door. good luck thieves...

but on a related note, man that SUCKS. hope your insurance is good to you.

Ivy33

Thank you both. Yeah, it does suck but hopefully it will not be too long before she's ready to ride again. I'm going to look into some extra locks like Hoover. Do either of you know anything about LoJack? I'm thinking of looking more into that.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Glad to hear ya got back, those damn bastards!
I have mine locked thru both wheels with a cable
You never know, just hope it doesnt happen

Darknite

So sorry to hear your bike was stolen! Glad she is back with you! Some people are just so horrible and I would say the ones who took it don't know the joy it is to ride or the feeling...otherwise they wouldn't rob good honest people of the feeling they have achieved the right to enjoy. Best of luck!

C

Camo

Damn, that sux!
It may come as a good chance to add some after-market gear when replacing the OEM bits and pieces!
Hope it all works out for you mate.

glockman39

Keep mine locked up in my garage with no external handle for opening. Then there are my three dogs with very large vocal abilities who bark when a fly gets to close to the house.

And if those two deterrents fail, my third deterrent is nearly 100% effective, as it can move at 3200 feet per second, is effective out to several hundred meters, and never misses. :eek:

D

DJK1505

I feel your pain man, im 8-less, have been for 2 weeks now. And the weather has been gorgeous around here. Uhhhhhhhh, sorry to hear your without yours as well.

DJ

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I have the exact same setup.

yup, here too. Id rather my house was broken in to that my garage. Has it's own motion activated alarm. Ive accidentally set it off SEVERAL times. Between that and the loud cars and bikes. My neighbors love me :p

randyka

wow, i didn't know our bikes were targeted by thieves...I'm really sorry to hear about your bike man...I hope it's all fixed up by now!

D

Deleted member 438

wow, i didn't know our bikes were targeted by thieves...I'm really sorry to hear about your bike man...I hope it's all fixed up by now!

Any bike is targeted by thieves; it's so easy.

mavpsa

sorry to hear the news, i've been there done that.

the reason y i have an fz now is b/c they stole my sv. prior to it being completely stolen, there was an attempted theft of it, cut my ignition wires, etc. it sucks when that happens! i just don't understand why people have such sticky fingers!!!

I now us a kryptonite lock and disk lock. I placed curtain shower grommets on the rear of the cover, so chain goes through one side, through the rear wheel and out the other end. allows me to chain the cover to the bike and then around a fixed pole. so far so good.

hope you get back on the bike soon.

V

Vapordan

Sorry about your bike, I really am. I can't imagine waking up to an empty spot. I found this ground anchor and I wanted to know if anyone has one and what are their views. It's pretty pricey and they're not responding to email but it looks pretty good, except for the lock which may be the weak point.

Gorilla Automatic Motorcycle wheel lock

stainless

Mine was stolen for real!

Model: 2011 FZ8-S Black
VIN: JYARN28N7BA000218

Was stolen in front of my door during the night.
I lost a key one day, ordered another "cut by code" using eBay, never recieved it, and the bike is gone. Somebody must have fell onto the key with my address... ARGH!

This is really a bad experience, and I hope the person that did this freakin' :cuss::hbwall::deadhorse:.. oh well

So now i'm dealing with the insurances... anybody cares?

B

bren

that sucks mate- i cant stand people messing around with my shit!

I dont reckon i would feel the same about my bike after that! lol

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Model: 2011 FZ8-S Black
VIN: JYARN28N7BA000218

Was stolen in front of my door during the night.
I lost a key one day, ordered another "cut by code" using eBay, never recieved it, and the bike is gone. Somebody must have fell onto the key with my address... ARGH!

This is really a bad experience, and I hope the person that did this freakin' :cuss::hbwall::deadhorse:.. oh well

So now i'm dealing with the insurances... anybody cares?

I guess i should NOT have used this key cutting service for my Lambourghini .... holy ***** what next.

n00b

Avid Rider
Keep mine locked up in my garage with no external handle for opening. Then there are my three dogs with very large vocal abilities who bark when a fly gets to close to the house.

And if those two deterrents fail, my third deterrent is nearly 100% effective, as it can move at 3200 feet per second, is effective out to several hundred meters, and never misses. :eek:
same setup :)

and a wireless security cam directly outside the garage door