Stock Tyres

ian1953

Hi to all across the Ponds,
Just as a matter of interest, what do your new FZs come shod with, our Bikes come shod with Bridgstone 021s.
Tyre always come top of the lists in discussions on forums in the UK, people will always have there own opinions of what tyres are the best.

Cheers....Ian

master paper clip

From what ive read the fz8 only comes stock with one type of tire, the sport touring version of the battalix, could be wrong though

F

Fazed

That is the same tyre that we get too. I can't wait to wear them out and get a set of Michellin pilot roads. I don't have a high opinion on the bridgestones.

RnR

I'm in the minority and like the 021s for a sport touring tire. In general I always found Bridgestone tires give better than average feedback and warm up almost immediately. They do tend to wear out on the quick side. In the past I've 020s cup on the front, especially if you run air pressures low. My ZX9R had the Bridgestone sport version ... 019s or something or other. You could get that thing to slide slightly coming out of turns on throttle and it always felt under control. Came back into grip cleanly and never threatened to spit you off. They aren't an ideal track tire but work good on the street.

I've had two sets of Pilot sports and they are nice, tend to feel greasy when not up to temp. A fairly decent track tire. Never had Dunlops that felt right. They always stuck well but I could never get a sense of what they were doing.

Maybe so many Japanese bikes come with Bridgestons because they're Japanese ... or maybe the thinking is they are friendly, predictable tire.

Last edited:
C

Camo

I replaced mine with some softer bridgestones and they're awesome. First time I've enjoyed bridgestones too!

slowkey

I've got 7500km on my stock tires. I just found I had to run them at 30 PSI and they hold good.I ran them at recommend pressure 42psi on the rear and 36psi on the front and I was slipping everywhere

ian1953

Thanks Guys
Yeh Bridgestone Battlaxe 021s shod on my new bike, which i find ok, but they have brought out the 023s which get good reviews ( they do a GT version for heavier bikes).
Seems that your tyres of choice are exactly the same this side, Michelin PR3s and Dunlop Road smarts, are a lot of peoples choices here, as i said, peoples choices are what they are happy with.

Cheers....Ian :)

H

Hoover

I've got 7500km on my stock tires. I just found I had to run them at 30 PSI and they hold good.I ran them at recommend pressure 42psi on the rear and 36psi on the front and I was slipping everywhere

Not sure why they recomend those pressures.
When I picked my 8 up new, I asked my salesgirl for a TP gauge before I rode off. She said, "Its ok, we have them set to factory specs".
I told her, I know, thats why I want to borrow a TP gauge.
I also run 30/32 dependant on weather and find them to be on the plus side of average....Just.

860Rider

Bridgestone Battlax BT021. Got 7K miles on them so far. They are OK.

Any major issues with them? Im reading some really bad reviews, and as a returning rider after a long break Im a bit nervous on some of the findings in the reviews Ive read. Some going as far as saying its a dangerous tire. They came stock on 13 FZ8. I havn't ridden it yet.

alexk

Weekend Rider
The stock BT021 is actually a damn good tire. You'll run out of skill before you run out of grip.

I have 10,000 mi on my front, and had to replace the rear due to road debris.

The stock BT021 was *much* stickier than the softer Dunlop SportMax Q2 it replaced, and the Bridgestone wore better, too.

NoNine4me

The stock BT021 is actually a damn good tire. You'll run out of skill before you run out of grip.

I have 10,000 mi on my front, and had to replace the rear due to road debris.

The stock BT021 was *much* stickier than the softer Dunlop SportMax Q2 it replaced, and the Bridgestone wore better, too.
My 021's were gone at 3K. I replaced them with Pirelli Angel GT's, which were much better when new but now, with plenty of tread left, enough of the rubber is gone that the carcass is taking most of the load, and these are harsh tires, made for a heavier bike.

My '12 GSX-R 750 came with BT016's and I replaced those at about 2200 miles. I didn't like them, either. The Pirelli SuperCorsa's I replaced them with are dramatically better.

I have a new pair of Dunlop Q3s in my car with the wheels, waiting to be mounted. I expect these tires to be far superior to the stock tires.

The stock Bridgestone are a decent tire and solid all-round performer but there are certainly better choices out there.

Last edited: