Stock Tires Life

Skiman

Just out of curiosity....if you kept the stock tires on your FZ8 what kind of mileage did you get?
At the moment I've got about 7k on the stock and the dealer tells me that I should count myself lucky for getting that many out of them. Seems as though I read somewhere that the BattleAx should get around 10 to 12k but could be wrong.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Guess it just depends on your riding speed and style.

If you ride mainly twisties at a slow pace, I'd say you'll get good coverage across the whole tire and PROBABLY get 8-10k out of them?

I just hit 6300 miles and just switched them out for some Battleax T30's because I got a center flat spot that hit the wear bar from riding in a straight line at high speeds for an extended amount of time. (I'm a heavier rider too)

Bajaedition

I agree with Mike
I got around 6500 from mine but the center was gone
but then I need to ride 50 or 60 miles to get to twisties, I live in the desert and most roads are very strait
so
I do a few hours every ride just going down strait roads and that is hard on the center part of the tire

Mint

I just changed my OE tyres this week,and was on just over 14000Kms (8700miles)...which I reckon is alot . I ride 100ks a day mostly freeway, but the last 15ks has 13 roundabouts, so one side of my front tyre looked shot, and I had a flat center on both tyres. The rear actually still had plenty of meat on it , although cornering didn't feel anywhere near as good as it had when I first got them. Changed out both for Michelin Pilot Road 3s...so will see how they handle once I have scrubbed them in a bit. :)

Skiman

Thanks for the imput! Based on what you guys are telling me, looks like the BattlAx's are nearing the end.
Looks like a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4's will be getting ordered!

FZ8Ryder

Thanks for the imput! Based on what you guys are telling me, looks like the BattlAx's are nearing the end.
Looks like a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4's will be getting ordered!

Let us know how you like the Pilot Road 4's. Thanks!

Skiman

Let us know how you like the Pilot Road 4's. Thanks!

Well.....finally got a set of Road 4's on the bike and have several hundred miles now. I have to say that the ride is much smoother (at least to me) and it seems faster and more sure footed in the corners. These were not cheap but I'm hoping in the long run to be rewarded with extend mileage. Headed for the Blue Ridge first weekend in May!

alexk

Weekend Rider
11,000 and counting on the front stock tire. Probably another 2-3k on it.

I have 1k on the Pilot Road 4 in the back and am absolutely loving it. Feels fantastic - confident, grippy, and just plain awesome in the wet and the dry.

FZ8Ryder

Well.....finally got a set of Road 4's on the bike and have several hundred miles now. I have to say that the ride is much smoother (at least to me) and it seems faster and more sure footed in the corners. These were not cheap but I'm hoping in the long run to be rewarded with extend mileage. Headed for the Blue Ridge first weekend in May!

Thanks skiman!
I decided to go with the Pilot Road 3's and initial feed back is that same. Feels smoother and more planted. And somehow seems faster like you said. It sounds like either the 3's or 4's are a good choice.

Ride Fast, Take Chances.

OdinSon

Mine still had plenty of tread life at 6500 mi but I replaced them anyways. I live in NH. It's cold and wet spring and fall and the stockers had horrible grip in cold and wet conditions IMO. I put some Pilot Road 4's on a couple weeks ago and so far have at least 500 mi on them. I'm very happy with my decision. Riding is a lot more enjoyable when you can trust your tires to keep you right side up and not want to slip out on anything but perfect conditions.

Perron

I got 7 000 miles on mine actually and I'm changing them as soon as I find a good price for the Pirelli Angel GT.

Vhutchinson

11,000 and counting on the front stock tire. Probably another 2-3k on it.

I have 1k on the Pilot Road 4 in the back and am absolutely loving it. Feels fantastic - confident, grippy, and just plain awesome in the wet and the dry.

What did you end up paying for the pilots ?

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

alexk

Weekend Rider
My dealer price matched the best price I could find online... so...

$233.83 out the door - tire + tax + mount/balance (wheel off the bike)

Current best price I can find for a rear tire:

$159.99 + free shipping -- Rocky Mountain ATV

Last edited:

Blindy2001

I got about 3000 miles out of my stock rear then did a giant smokey burnout so I had a reason to switch out to pilot powers. I average about 3 grand on the rear and 6 on the front with the powers but it's probably because I have a heavy throttle hand. And I love pilot powers they may be old school but they are cheep and stick like glue.

Skiman

Well...I've got 3,000 miles on the Road 4's and can't say enough about them!
Rode the Skyline, Blue Ridge, Tail of the Dragon and the numerous routes out and around Robbinsville, NC in 9 days. The Road 4's deliver a great ride, track extremely well, stay planted when pushed into the corner, no noticeable changes in character when riding in rain and they still look new with no evidence of the rear squaring up yet. Highly recommend for those looking for a great touring tire!

I should add....they seem to warm up much quicker than other tires I've had, building cool morning confidence quickly.

Last edited: