Stock front turn signals

alexk

Weekend Rider
I'd like to try my hand at grafting front turn signals on to the rear of the bike to get some rear corner markers going - I do fully half my riding at night (1:30am-2:15am daily), and despite the brake light modulator and retroreflective stuffs, would like to be seen a little better.

Local dealer wants $62+tax each... even with the $50 gift card I won, that's some serious coin ($85)for a little bit of plastic.

Cheapest I can find online is $39 each free shipping (yamahapart.com)

Anyone have any stock front turn signals collecting dust?

Alternately, I could look at trying to fish an extra wire through and put an amber LED in the housing near the tip - there's easy power access in the license plate light...

Last edited:

alexk

Weekend Rider
On a related note, my 2013 has wedge-base bulbs for the front and rear turn indicators, whereas the 2012 parts manual clearly shows round-base bulbs.

Anyone with a 2012 or earlier able to confirm what type of bulb goes where?

Lastly, I can confirm that it's the power supply that's blinked, not the ground. This means adding a running light means tapping into an ignition power source (if it were ground that was blinked, you'd run another ground)

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
ah damn Alexk...not sure if Rabbitman held on to the one's he tore off mine when he changed out my turn signals...but if I can get them back, you're welcome to them for sure.

DanS

Commuter
I have stock front turn signals off of a 2011. pm me your address and I'll send em to ya.... or if your up to a road trip, jump on your 8 and ride about three and a half hours SE :cool:
Wedge bulb base on the 2011

Last edited:

thach1130

You do know that the rear signal harnesses only have two wires in them correct?

I think he wanted to put the front signal in the rear so he can use the day time running light within the front signal. I don't think it would be hard to power that line if he tap into the license plate light.

DanS

Commuter
You do know that the rear signal harnesses only have two wires in them correct?
Chad, if only I could attract hot women like I attract hot wires I'd be in heaven ;)...
I'm a shock artist! If there's power available I'll find it! It's a wonder i'm still alive...lol...Let's send Alexk on a road trip to Houston and WE WILL find a power source for that third wire...:cool:
jk...I'm thinking he could just tap into his tail light to supply power for rear running lights

alexk

Weekend Rider
I think I could make it to Houston in 2 hours. Might have a number of flashy lights behind me, but I think I could do it...

PM incoming! Thanks!

And yes, my plan was to tap into the license plate light and/or the brake running light. If there's a concern about current, I could fairly easily run a relay for it, though I don't expect the tail light circuit to be drawing within an amp of its capacity.

DanS

Commuter
I think I could make it to Houston in 2 hours. Might have a number of flashy lights behind me, but I think I could do it...

PM incoming! Thanks!

And yes, my plan was to tap into the license plate light and/or the brake running light. If there's a concern about current, I could fairly easily run a relay for it, though I don't expect the tail light circuit to be drawing within an amp of its capacity.

You're welcome, glad you can put them to use :)
They're headed your way now