Squeezing the bars

Danger

Hey guys,

After my first half-dozen rides this year I have noticed that I am MURDERING the bars. Like really squeezing tight without realizing it. It happens in turns, going straight, fast, or slow. I'm pretty sure I didn't do this over last summer. Maybe it's from riding in the cold? Anyway, are there any tips to combat this?

I have read twist of the wrist I & II a couple times and am a big fan. I am still a beginner at most of the techniques, only having a 4 or 5 thousand miles total on motos, but I practice the street oriented stuff every time I ride. It just seems like I am going backwards on this one.

Any thoughts, techniques or tricks (besides not squeezing so hard :p ) would be appreciated.

Thanks

lyric911

1. Tighten your grip on the tank with your knees.
  2. Have the balls of your feet on the pegs, not your heels.
  3. Use your core and not your arms to support your upper body.
  4. Flap your arms like a chicken as a test. This move is impossible to do if your elbows are locked out straight. If you can't flap, you're not holding yourself up with your legs and core.
  5. Wiggle your fingers like this

1 through 4 will help you get the weight off of the palms of your hands. This is usually the cause of gripping too tight. 5 will check to see if you're still gripping too tight. Unfortunately, the only fix is do these tests all the time while you're riding until you stop failing the tests on 4 and 5. It takes time.

TallGuyNW

I recently bought a set of techspec tank grips and I've found that they help a lot with gripping the tank with my legs, which reduces the tightness of my grip on the bars. It also lets my arms relax more. It also helps to hold tightly with your feet, with the balls of your feet on the pegs. Use your core/stomach muscles and you end up not putting much, if any weight/pressure on your arms and hands.

Danger

Nice! Exactly what I was looking for guys. I will definitely start working this stuff in. It makes a lot of sense that more lower body & core control would free up weight up top.

Thanks! This site rocks as usual.

Danger

So I haven't been on the highway this week, just surface streets. I have been putting weight on my feet on the pegs, and squeezing with my thighs. When I do this I feel a definite easing of my upper body. I will try to practice on higher speeds/sweeping turns this weekend and keep you guys posted. My hands definitely feel better, they are only sore from wrenching on 80's GM cars now haha.

I am looking for a grippy tank pad, any suggestions? I think that would help my moto-squeezes lol :eek:

Dom83

So I haven't been on the highway this week, just surface streets. I have been putting weight on my feet on the pegs, and squeezing with my thighs. When I do this I feel a definite easing of my upper body. I will try to practice on higher speeds/sweeping turns this weekend and keep you guys posted. My hands definitely feel better, they are only sore from wrenching on 80's GM cars now haha.

I am looking for a grippy tank pad, any suggestions? I think that would help my moto-squeezes lol :eek:

techspec tank grip...simply the best...

lyric911

Cool. :) It'll get better over time.

I had this problem big time when I started. I still do the finger waggle and chicken flap on occasion to reinforce the proper form.