Spring Tune-up?

xjcurtisx

Hey guys,

This is my first winter with my bike and therefore will be my first spring coming up. I changed my oil about 300 miles before i parked it in the garage.

What do you recommend I do to get it ready to ride in the spring.. Should i change the oil again since it's been sitting all winter?

Thanks,

Umyaya

Heck no! That oil is brand new. Put battery in, lube chain and ride the piss out of the bike.

Last edited:

Blackfin

Check the tire pressures, chain condition, tension & lube status, operation of the brakes etc. If you put it away with a tank full of gas + stabilizer I'd run the tank nearly empty and refill with fresh gas before abusing/enjoying it a lot (that is, just take it easy on the tank of old gas/stabilizer). Check the steering head and wheel bearings bearings for loosness. Check the operation of the clutch and cable; lube the cable if needed. Check the running lights, headlight and highbeam, signals and brake light.

No need to go crazy. Just do some common sense checks before heading out.

Fazer 8

Some people would advise you to change out the oil in the fall, before storage, to get rid of acidic combustion products, and then change it again in the spring because...? I have no idea. A lot of people are way too anal about the oil in their bikes. Used oil sitting in the bike over the winter won't do any harm to it, IMO.

npeifer2308

Some people would advise you to change out the oil in the fall, before storage, to get rid of acidic combustion products, and then change it again in the spring because...? I have no idea. A lot of people are way too anal about the oil in their bikes. Used oil sitting in the bike over the winter won't do any harm to it, IMO.

Defiantly agree with Fazer 8, there is no need to change out brand new oil just because it sat around in your bike for a few months. However if your bike sits for an extended period of time, say six months or longer, then i would say you should prob change the oil out.

xjcurtisx

Cool thanks for the input guys.. I've been starting it every couple weeks to run the oil through it so that shouldn't be a problem.

Umyaya

Thinking about running some sea foam through a tank this spring. Anyone do this? I used stable this winter and notice more smoke at startup and a smell from the exhaust.

Keach

Thinking about running some sea foam through a tank this spring. Anyone do this? I used stable this winter and notice more smoke at startup and a smell from the exhaust.

I've used sea foam for a few years with good results. I use it to treat the gas over winter, instead of stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fazer 8

Starting it every couple of weeks is not the best idea. Unless the bike is operated long enough on the road to drive out all the moisture created at cold startup, this just introduces moisture and combustion products into your clean oil, and moisture into your exhaust system.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but for future reference once you park the bike it's best just to leave it parked and not start it until you're ready to ride it.