Sport-Touring tires: Any recommendations?

Geezer

PR4s

I have 8,000 miles on the PR3s I have on my Concours (with a couple more K to go) and really love them. I was going to put them on my FZ8 but my tire expert (Gary) at Apex Motorsport in Colorado Springs convinced me that the PR4s were better. I only have a couple hundred miles on them but I think they are going to be even better than the PR3s. Since I was able to get them at Competition Accessories for less than some sites wanted for PR3s that sealed the deal. And OBTW I do not work for Competition Accessories and will say that their free shipping is a bit slow so don't wait to order them until the last minute before a trip.

Sorry about the link if it doesn't work as I haven't posted in a while. :confused: Cool it does work

Last edited:

lance2448

I had Pilot Road 3s on the SV650 for about 10k miles. The back was barely starting to show wear, and they actually worked well in the rain and snow.

The shop happened to have the Road 4s in stock for the FZ8. I've only got about 200 miles on them so far, but they seem much better than stock. Not too sure if they're really any better than the 3s. I also don't ride hard that often.

Interestingly, on the SV at least, the Road 3s made riding with a passenger much better. I'm still not sure why.

LLeDoux66

Road 3

I have the road 3's and i hate them hate hate hate!!!!!! the only good qualities are they last like 9000 miles and they move water like its nothing and i live in FL so i know what its like to get caught in a rain storm. But other than that they suck…….:mad:

leem00

Well, my Dunlop Q2 in the rear is almost down to the wear bar, so it's time to start thinking about replacements.

I commute with this thing (90 minutes a day, 15,000mi a year), mostly highway miles. While I do get it leaned over (1/4 inch of untouched rubber left), there aren't enough opportunities to get the tire to wear evenly.

Gripwise, I found the Q2 to be only marginally gripper than the stock tire at best, and at worse much much much worse.

Does anyone have a sport/touring or touring tire they sing the praises of? How does it grip and hold up versus your riding habits?

Avon Storm 2

MotoZen

I've heard good things about the Metzler M5 but I haven't tried them myself.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

JDZIII

I have the road 3's and i hate them hate hate hate!!!!!! the only good qualities are they last like 9000 miles and they move water like its nothing and i live in FL so i know what its like to get caught in a rain storm. But other than that they suck…….:mad:

Please elaborate; why do they suck?

Willasan

I just put on the PR4s about a thousand miles ago, loving them so far. Haven't really used them in the rain yet (Southern California) but the dry grip is plenty for my commuting and weekend canyon carving.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Subby here.

I ended up putting a Michelin Pilot Road 4 on the back of the bike, and am waiting for wallet restrictions to ease before I put one on the front.

So far, I'm LOVING the PR4. I've got a good 1,500 miles on it now, and it's amazing. It's sticker out of the box than the previous tire (Dunlop SportMax Q2) ever was worn in and warmed up. It's also looking pretty much brand new as far as wear goes.

I've not yet ridden in the rain, but it's doing me exceptionally well on the road, on sand, dirt, and gravel.

In case it comes up, my riding style is fairly passive - I'm not afraid of lean angle (1/4" wide chicken strips), but I rarely do so in my 45 minute commute. I've never scraped a peg. I'm no hooligan, but I get the feeling these tires would accommodate me if I were.

jumb5150

Tires are like religion. It's hard to convince or take someone's advice about the whole subject. You would just need to trust it yourself.